gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49229 Posts in 2550 Topics by 5240 Members - Latest Member: DreadAgent September 22, 2019, 09:09:17 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  Chainsword Theory
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chainsword Theory  (Read 1411 times)

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
So I usually read 40k novels from midnight to 1am right before I fall asleep.  The main reason being I need something to bring me down off the adrenaline high from gaming for 3 hours straight (Modern Warfare 2 fun).

One thing that has always irked me is the chainsword.  Not the concept of a chainsword but the way it has been depicted in THQ
Games. Also, this.
The key things that bug me are:
A)  2 stroke audio - They sound like edge trimmers or chainsaws.
[img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />  Teeth direction - The teeth rotation on the chainsword always go towards the hilt
C)  Activation - Almost always shown with a single trigger on the grip.

So yeah prepare for me to Nerd out here:

A)  With the technology that the Imperium has the chainswords would not be using a motor with an intake.  MAINLY for the reason that Astartes fight mostly in hostile environments that include noxious atmosphere and environments void of atmosphere.  Also, the amount of blood generated by Astartes chopping limbs and impaling bodies would clog any intake.
There is often talk of the sound and smell of chainswords cutting through bone and ceramite in the novels, a blade with that kind of cutting power to me would sound more high pitched and faster; akin to a table saw, rather than a (modern day) handheld powertool.

[img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />  Teeth are always shown rotating towards the hand.  This fundamentally doesnt make sense to deflect incoming attacks down towards the hand/and or body.  I would imagine the teeth to be neutral in direction (since a chainsword can be held reverse) but that the direction of the teeth would rotate away from the hand.
If you wanted to get really hypothetical: the Astartes would have a means of controlling the direction of teeth on the sword, but thats far fetched even for me.

C)  Triggers on the grip.  This means the Astartes would have to have the trigger depressed at full power all the time to maintain a solid grip, or loosen their grip to let go of the trigger.  Often in the novels there is always talk of 'depressing the activation stud/rune' on a chainsword with their thumb.  This gives me the impression that the chainsword is always running, and that the trigger is something introduced as a means of creating drama in cutscenes.  (If they have Mass Reactive rounds in their bolters, why cant they have kinetically triggered chainswords that begin teethe rotation on contact or when the sword is swung.)

Anywho, back to work...

Offline Colin

• Brother-Captain
  • Marine
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
It's meant to be cool and make fans have an action-gasm! 8D

40k is only meant to be pseudo-realistic when it comes to those kinds of things I suppose.

Offline Nachturnus

• Scout
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
Well, the teeth pulling down would be less of a problem in deflecting the blows, as chainswords often have a bar-guard running down from the blade, which would protect the hand (which is encased in 3+ power armor anyways). The real dificulty I can see is that, if the teeth are coming toward you, they either pull the body into your chest, which endangers you of being gutted by your own sword, or it will pull the sword away from your hand, which would obviously leave you defenseless

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
valid points, but honestly, since when did GW do things that made sense from a practical standpoint?
i mean in most of the art or model poses, you have a guy aiming at 12'o'clock while looking at 3'o'clock, they must be aiming with their peripheral vision 90% of the time.

i'm building a chainsword and i've been tempted to add a second set of teeth going in the other direction, for a kind of catch-and-rend effect, but it just looks too much like a briar patch of chainsword teeth.

i like the motorcycle style sounds from the sword, it's purely a 'cool' thing though, which wasn't really thought out in practical terms.

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.vividwings.deviantart.com
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
In one of the Gaunt books (I know some people don't like it, but it's officially canon) he mentions that a good portion of a chainsword on chainsword duel is calculated switches in chain direction, so I assume it can toggle from going towards the hand to going away from it.

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Quote from: Seraphim date=1267186800
In one of the Gaunt books (I know some people don't like it, but it's officially canon) he mentions that a good portion of a chainsword on chainsword duel is calculated switches in chain direction, so I assume it can toggle from going towards the hand to going away from it.
i really enjoy gaunts ghosts, and i do remember that mentioned.

Offline Nachturnus

• Scout
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I personally like this one picture of a Khornite chainaxe, where you see it cleaving through the air, and you can clearly say that it's actually got three chains, two running one way, and the other going the other way.

Obviously the chainsword's blade isn't thick enough for that, however the axe's is, and it looks AWESOME.

Offline wookieegunner

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Chainsword Theory
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Ok, real world, people think of Chainswords as Chainsaws on a stick, so that is what THQ gave them.

40K World, chainswords are designed differently by different races.  For example, here is what I consider the standard Space Marine Chainsword:

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/shop/article_...26aid%3DSM44%26

now here is the standard Ork one:

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/shop/article_...6aid%3DOBZ36%26

and here is a Cadian one:

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/shop/article_...26aid%3DCD01%26

So if you look at the Ork one, there is obviously an exhaust.  Which makes since, Orks like lound and smokey, so theirs probably runs off of the same fuel as their bikes and trukks.

The Space Marine one on the other hand doesn't have an obvious exhaust, so it probably is ran off of a electical power cell.  

The IG one though, might have an exhaust, hard to tell so it could go either way.

The thing is all of them are designed with the teeth shaped to have the blade turn so the front part moves downward.  Which if you think about it actually makes sense.  By having the front move downward, when it bites into a person it pulls the blade through them top to bottom instead of throwing the blade back off of them.  

Now to the comment from Gaunts Ghosts, it is quite likely that these could have some form of transmission in them that would allow you to change the direction of the rotation.  This could come in very handy to allow the ability to deflect a blow that is coming in (by having the front rotate upward) and then switch it quickly to complete a blow before your oponent can stop his arm's reverse momentum.

Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  Chainsword Theory

gfxgfx
gfx gfx