gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49162 Posts in 2545 Topics by 5130 Members - Latest Member: PouffyTerror149 July 22, 2019, 08:23:49 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  WH40K LARP *or* Convention In United States? (Read Before Voting!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Would you attend a WH40K LARP and/or Convention based in the US somewhere? (Read Before Voting!)

Yes
9 (64.3%)
No
0 (0%)
I would come for an Obscurus Convention but not LARP
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: WH40K LARP *or* Convention In United States? (Read Before Voting!)  (Read 1013 times)

Offline kaiwanxiao

• 3d Coy Master, Dark Angels
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://www.google.com
The subject and poll question are fairly self-explanatory. A topic of discussion came up on the OC Facebook group, and so I thought we should cross-post it over to the forums for the people that don't participate.

Would you participate in a WH40K-themed LARP based somewhere in the United States? The votes are simple: yes or no. I'm curious to know what area people live in, because it feels like the bulk of our membership is concentrated in a belt between PA and FL on the east coast.

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
Re: WH40K LARP In United States? (Read Before Voting!)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
I can't answer yes or no. I am constrained by fiscal limitations, and so waltzing up to Vermont or tripping out to South Carolina isn't a short-term plan for me. I am also not a LARPer, but I would be delighted to attend an OC mini-con if it meant that I could learn hands-on build techniques.

So YES I would like to attend a small OC/WH only weekend where I can learn stuff and take epic photos. But NO I don't want to LARP. But I will help be Adminsitratum.

Offline kaiwanxiao

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
What if the LARP were incorporated into Obscurus Convention? Like say we found a four-day weekend. Fri/Sat we did stuff, Sun we did LARP, and Monday was tear down and clean up and pancake breakfast goodbye?

Offline PhoenixRevival

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »
Basically have to 'Ditto' Everything Lamia said; I would totally be down for a meet-up/OBCon, but I'm not a LARPer. I'm all about a pancake breakfast thou... O_O

Beware the x-acto blade, the glue burn, the paint fume.

Offline kaiwanxiao

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
I've never done LARP and my exposure to it was limited to watching the infamous LIGHTNING BOLT! video and some kid in a trenchcoat following me around when I was stationed in Monterey CA, talking about he was casting a spell on me and could I play along for a minute.  Because I've never done it, and don't want to pass judgment without having done it, I'd be willing to try it out.

That being said, I'm also interested in this mythical, notional Obscurus Convention OBCON.

Offline kaiwanxiao

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Re: WH40K LARP *or* Convention In United States? (Read Before Voting!)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
Poll has been edited. Re-read, huehuehue ;D

Offline WyrdDaughl

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
I have no experience in LARPing, just tabletop RP stuff.  I am happy to participate or Admin, or just be a runner, literally anything you need since I think this is the coolest thing ever.

I have no experience running cons, but ditto above, I can be as helpful as you need me to be.  I am a super organized spreadsheet master.

Also, I am in VA.  And I am happy to help make pancakes, I have a travel stove.  Throwing all this info down, then back to lurking.

Offline B'rel_Knight

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
I think it would be fun to larp in my space marine armor, although makes the normal rock paper scissor rules most larps I've played in kinda interesting in the big huge hockey gloves we use. The big question is how do people transport the stuff?

Offline kaiwanxiao

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »
I would venture to say that people are responsible for their own transportation, like any other Con. I schlep all my armour for DragonCon, Katsucon, Otakon, etc.

For the LARP, it was suggested that it be strictly non-combat because of issues surrounding costumes being damaged. Speaking strictly for myself and only myself, I'd like to see some sort of allowance for Nerf pistols, for stuff like an Inquisitor or Commissar execution. Maybe make that a GM role. I don't know. But I don't see my armour being ruined by a foam suction-cup.

Offline B'rel_Knight

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »
but how did you do it? Van? plane? UPS?

the larps I have played in Physical combat was not allowed at all everything was handled with cards or rock paper scissors

Offline kaiwanxiao

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
I can fit all of my Space Marine armour, bolter, a small cosplay repair kit, a rolly cooler for beer, and a bag for clothes in my two-door Chevy Cavalier.

Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  WH40K LARP *or* Convention In United States? (Read Before Voting!)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx