gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49033 Posts in 2528 Topics by 4582 Members - Latest Member: High Marshal Helbrecht September 22, 2018, 03:27:54 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  On The Subject of Leather
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: On The Subject of Leather  (Read 975 times)

Offline Poke

• Initiate
  • :
On The Subject of Leather
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Would a leather jacket be inquisitorial?  I have a really interesting idea based on one of my trench coats, but I haven't seen any leather coats.

My plan is pin it into something more like a vest with coat tails and make armor pieces and such.  I have a whole mess of costuming bits that would look cool and I'm working on a wooden sword that I might paint for this universe.

Any ides?

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
commissar coats are meant to be black leather, though i deviate from that myself...

so long as its not obviously modern fashion with a purity seal stuck on it,  can't really say whether it would or wouldn't work, but consider the costume piece carefully.
use things that make you go "thats so 40k" rather than "meh i'll settle for this because i cant find better"

Offline Poke

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm doing an Inquisitor, fyi, But I have the whole outfit in my head and it's perfect.  I plan on getting WIP pics up for further assistance.

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.vividwings.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Leather is inquisitorial. So is fur. But like Kommissar said, it's the style that counts. If it's a very obviously modern cut, you can do several things to help it along. You can actually alter it, something that usually requires special needles, but is probably the best way in the long run if you have the skills. You can add things to it- cuffs, facings, gold braid, buttons, medals, seals, etc until it looks right. You can wear a belt over it and do some folding around the waist to disguise the shape. The right props can also distract from a modern shape, as can pauldrons, bracers, sashes, and obviously 40K clothes worn under it.

I look forward to seeing the WIP pics!

Offline adeptusastartes01

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Well is it real leather? It wouldn't matter too much unless if it was really really shiny. The biggest problem with the commisars that I have seen(in my humble opinion) is that they are not tailored to fit the wearer. You have to think of it as a military uniform, not a leather coat. Military uniforms a tailored for that individual and it looks really good.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  On The Subject of Leather

gfxgfx
gfx gfx