gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48494 Posts in 2474 Topics by 3888 Members - Latest Member: Jay_Cashman May 27, 2017, 02:12:48 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space Marines, Vacuum-Formed, Interest Thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Space Marines, Vacuum-Formed, Interest Thread  (Read 216972 times)

Offline Vrogy

• W E I R D
  • Marine
  • :
Space Marines, Vacuum-Formed, Interest Thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:00 AM »
I've been working on a set of molds for Warhammer-like Space Marine armor.

The project is stalled, though- We're beginning to cut all the molds, and a friend funding the mold production has had some financial setbacks- he won't be able to cover the costs for the remainder of the molds.

Machining is being done at-cost by some friends, so it'll be relatively inexpensive. We were hoping to complete the molds on our own, then offer copies of the armor to hopefully recover expenses over time, but it looks like we'll have to find a few people to finish funding the project. Also helpful would be competent CNC machinists with wood routing capabilities, or someone in the southeast United States with a large vacuum-former.

I'm not making money here- just trying to get some awesome armored costumes into meatspace. The way we've planned this, these can be painted, weathered, and decorated a number of different ways(various chapters, chaos, etc), and vacuum-forming is about the cheapest/best way to make the large parts required- so the hope is to make quality space marine costuming accessible. I've done something like this before.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:36:00 AM »
If the molds come out looking anything like that model those are going to be truly awesome.

I wish you luck on finding people to help fund it! Space marines are a tough one.

Offline Vrogy

• W E I R D
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
Thanks. If we don't find anyone in a few weeks I might just post the files. Blegh. Feels like a lot of work down the drain.

Offline Stormchaser

• Honor Guard
  • :
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:28:00 AM »
I'm certainly very interested, since I fail horribly at large scale crafting.

How much more money do you need and how much were you planning to charge for each suit?

I can't promise anything, since I'm fairly broke myself, but judging but your Halo armour, these suits will be highly epic  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

Offline Barn

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Stormchaser date=1298539680
I'm certainly very interested, since I fail horribly at large scale crafting.

How much more money do you need and how much were you planning to charge for each suit?

I can't promise anything, since I'm fairly broke myself, but judging but your Halo armour, these suits will be highly epic  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
+1

Although I think the cost of posting it to Australia would most likley make it way too much for me [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

Offline Vrogy

• W E I R D
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
I made a spreadsheet.

tl;dr:
it varies on the amount of suits the mold costs are distributed across, and whether you think you can trim/assemble/finish/reinforce/line/paint the armor.

still tl;dr:
a bit.

Offline Barn

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
So at 10+ suits it would come in slightly under $500.

Although im sure i could  trim/assemble/finish/reinforce/line/paint it, I could probably only afford a piece a month [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

Offline Nex

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I could probably fund this, but what guarantee do I have you won't just take the money and run?

We're not talking 50 bucks here...

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
/\  Agreed, I could add something to this as well. I do need to re-asses my fincances 1st however. We are buying two new cars ATM which has me distraced, but I would like to see this off the ground myself.

Offline Erus

• Skjald
  • Company Champion
  • :
  • CLEAR!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Before I  step forward to offer funding.. Do you have any examples of previous work in mold making? Any pictures of the molds you are working from? Are you using ABS, HIPs, Boltaron, et. al.. as a raw material to vaccum-form around the molds? General dimensions on the proposed armor, so we know if it would fit any of us, or how much work would go into trimming? Are you wanting lump sums, and offering only full kits, or accepting payments and selling parts separate?

I've recently just finished helping on a similar project for a Star Wars prop-maker, and especially if you're struggling for funds to complete the suit, selling the parts may help. For instance, the other day Djin mentioned some parts he was planning to upgrade on his suit to me. Now, this doesn't mean he would buy from you.. But if I were looking to do as he, knew the measurements of the armor, and project cost... I might very well consider buying from you guys over making it myself, and thus the money from said sales can be used to help complete the project.
Trauma Junkie - It's not that I *want* you to get hurt... I just want to be there when you do...

Offline Cptn. Palladorus

• Honor Guard
  • :
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
What's the timeline on this?  I'd love to help but I'd have to scrimp and save for a bit.

Also what Nex said, I'm in college so even the lower price points would be several months pay...

Offline Vrogy

• W E I R D
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Nex date=1298569500
I could probably fund this, but what guarantee do I have you won't just take the money and run?

We're not talking 50 bucks here...
I've already started making molds?  

I know the bar for reliability and quality is set VERY LOW in costuming circles. It's a pity, really. But, like I said, I've done a project very similiar to this before- the halo marines linked above. The same processes are being used here, albeit on a larger scale.

If y'all want, I can get some documentation of all the processes used so far up somewhere- screenshots of my editor, mold STL files, maybe I can get our man in the West to get some CNC video and photos?

Offline Erus

• Skjald
  • Company Champion
  • :
  • CLEAR!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Not half bad looking... IT all depends on how my work load goes... Are you looking for a deadline for sign up/funding?
Trauma Junkie - It's not that I *want* you to get hurt... I just want to be there when you do...

Offline Vrogy

• W E I R D
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Quote from: Erus date=1298576700
Before I  step forward to offer funding.. Do you have any examples of previous work in mold making? Any pictures of the molds you are working from? Are you using ABS, HIPs, Boltaron, et. al.. as a raw material to vaccum-form around the molds? General dimensions on the proposed armor, so we know if it would fit any of us, or how much work would go into trimming? Are you wanting lump sums, and offering only full kits, or accepting payments and selling parts separate?

I've recently just finished helping on a similar project for a Star Wars prop-maker, and especially if you're struggling for funds to complete the suit, selling the parts may help. For instance, the other day Djin mentioned some parts he was planning to upgrade on his suit to me. Now, this doesn't mean he would buy from you.. But if I were looking to do as he, knew the measurements of the armor, and project cost... I might very well consider buying from you guys over making it myself, and thus the money from said sales can be used to help complete the project.
Totally. Molds are CNC-cut from layered MDF sheet, plastic used in forming is ABS, 1/8" if I can get a vacformer to work with it, if not, tried and true 1/16"/.063.
The standard human model in the images above is 6 feet/~182cm- I think that's the upper scale of most folks- there's plenty of room in the torso and breastplate to accomodate, um, different body types. The fact that the breastplate-codpiece distance floats means that it'll inherently fit lots of different heights, though.

I just want the project to happen. As long as a payment schedule/parts sold method doesn't make a WHOLE LOT of extra headache, I'll do it. Selling suits piecemeal could work.

Timeline was to try to get it done by Megacon, a local convention here in Florida on March 25th-27th. If that's not possible, I'll probably push it back until Dragoncon this year.

You can look through my work here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vrogy
But here's the halo marine armor at dragoncon '09( I was at '10 too):

another shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yodajammies/4435081375/

Offline fat-boy2004

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
if postage to the UK is possible i am seriously interested in this, especially the helmets. your graphics of the full armour look axtremely impressive so i will be keeping a close eye on this project. finishing the armour & painting are not a problem for me as i would want to customise it alot.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space Marines, Vacuum-Formed, Interest Thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx