gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48976 Posts in 2521 Topics by 4511 Members - Latest Member: Hexal Customs August 14, 2018, 11:12:51 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  How to spend my gift cards
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to spend my gift cards  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Ophilia Midkiff

• Scout
  • :
How to spend my gift cards
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
My birthday was last week, and I got gift cards to both Borders and Amazon. I haven't read a single 40K novel yet (gasp!) - I got indoctrinated when we started our Dark Heresy campaign in... May maybe? So I'm in need of some new books. (Since the next book release I have to look forward to is at least a year away, whenever the next Wheel of Time book gets published.)

Suggestions? I'm doing a lot of fan fiction centered on my Sister of Battle, so it wouldn't hurt to read some of what the Black Library has to say about them. Which novels would you suggest (first) to a new 40K reader?

Offline Isinglass

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
I'd say it depends a lot on how you want to view the 40K universe. Different authors tend to have wildly different ways of portraying it. Some are so at odds with each other its almost impossible to imagine them happening in the same universe.

My favorite is the Ciaphas Cain series by Sandy Mitchel. A sort of Flashman/Blackadder anti-hero but they're a bit more light hearted than the Dark Heresy source material.
He's also got a new series under the Dark Heresy banner but I've not read those yet.

Dan Abbnet is more 'gritty' and would be my other suggestion. The Gaunt's Ghosts series or if you are up for more of the Inquisition, the Eisenhorn trilogy.

These are probably the most popular of the novels and with good reason. A great place to start. As for the Sisters, I don't think think they've got an books about them out but I believe there is a graphic novel. I'm sure someone else on here will know for sure one way or the other.

I'd steer clear of the Necromunda novels, very disappointing I thought. [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

Offline Hashut's Blessing

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
The VERY first thing I would suggest is to get the Witch Hunters Codex. It should have pictures of models, artwork aplenty and also some background, which should give you some inspiration.

Offline Ophilia Midkiff

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
Quote from: Hashut's Blessing date=1258955640
The VERY first thing I would suggest is to get the Witch Hunters Codex. It should have pictures of models, artwork aplenty and also some background, which should give you some inspiration.
I did get my hands on a copy of that already from a friend. [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Ciaphas Cain is very enjoyable.
if you want hard inquisition, choose eisenhorn and ravenor
and if you enjoy the sisters of battle, the book faith and fire is a must have, it's also probably my favorite 40k novel right now because of the fact it details the somewhat morbid use of tech and servitors in the imperium.

Offline Ophilia Midkiff

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'll see how many books my gift cards can buy, and I'll check back in to let you know what I was able to pick up!

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.vividwings.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 02:26:00 AM »
I may be a bit late, but I seriously recommend Eisenhorn and the Gaunt's Ghosts series to start with. Dan Abnett is a very good writer, and they're excellent books for background. Eisenhorn in particular is very visually inspiring, as most of it happens behind imperial lines and Abnett can indulge in the most over-the-top baroque set pieces for the inquisition.

Offline lilibat

• Initiate
  • :
    • http://gothfashion.info
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Eisenhorn, Eisenhorn and Eisenhorn.

Faith & Fire is about the Sisters. It's not the best book, especially after reading Abnett but I feel it is required reading if you are going to ever cos or roleplay one.

Offline Ophilia Midkiff

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
I ended up buying Eisenhorn and Let the Galaxy Burn. Borders didn't have the first book of the Caiaphas Cain series or Faith & Fire. It looks like I'll have to order those online.

Offline Mehkas

• Initiate
  • :
    • http://mehkas.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I've read that Faith & Fire and it was good. That book was one of the reasons why I want to cosplay Sister of Battle.

I recently read The Ultramarines Omnibus wrote by Graham McNeill and that was also good. So if you like Space Marines, this is your book, in my opinion.
Well, I have not yet read any bad Warhammer book so I think every Warhammer novels are good! One reason why I love reading these is that I love English. This language sounds much better than my mother language.

I too want to read Ciaphas Cain. My boyfriend have The Omnibus version of it.

Offline Korpsman

• Die Totes Korps
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
I'd recommend the Caiphas Cain series above all, though if you can't get that, the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Of course, I suppose I'm just a Guard fanboy, soooo....

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
i've always had a weird feeling with abnetts books, he writes great 40k, but he feels like he writes great generic scifi, add bolt pistol, inquisition, imperial guard or similar 40k names into his books and you get.. well most of his books.. granted i have not read the space marine novels he has written, but i've read almost everything else, and i feel he tends to skip over the tech of 40k alittle fast.

i love the baroque and gothic feel to the universe, everything had a purpose and meaning once, but now since the original reasons are lost in time to the dark age of tech, it becomes tradition, calcifying into meaningless rote and routine, is there really a machine spirit? is it necessary to burn incense for it and chant litanies?

so often the technology of abnetts books are too clean to me, considering what the artwork and miniatures portray.

it's why i enjoyed faith and fire, it seemed to include more of the "dirty" imperium, which i feel even the high lords of terra don't live in pristine ivory towers..
perhaps a few noble houses might do that, at great expense, but not everything.

i get the impression that Abnett doesn't like that aspect or asthetic of the 40k universe.

never the less, his books are superb and have wonderful tie ins if you read eisenhorn and gaunts ghosts for example..

Offline Anggul

• Exarch
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
The Inquisition War Trilogy

Currently on the 3rd one, it's good, although at one point near the end of the second it took a sudden drop in quality

Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  How to spend my gift cards

gfxgfx
gfx gfx