gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49035 Posts in 2528 Topics by 4588 Members - Latest Member: moltenking7 September 24, 2018, 01:58:42 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  Holstering a Boltpistol?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Holstering a Boltpistol?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Isinglass

• Scout
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Boltpistols are great, about half the people on here have made them and they're a classic W40k item. But...

How on earth do you holster them. I mean people must do it but I can imagine it would look very good. Aside from the fact they're really wide and would look very bulky on your hip, it would only look like a gun holster if you took the magazine out. Otherwise its a square shaped pouch instead. Not to mention problems with accidentally knocking the purity seals, etc, off.

What does everyone think?  Has anyone made one?

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.vividwings.deviantart.com
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
Hah, I was wondering this myself as I consider making one for my commissar uniform. As far as I can tell, you can either A. scale it down a bit. B. have a minion carry it for you or C. have a large holster, perhaps with a strap that would go between the clip and the handle, and keep it slung low. None of these work particularly well... I'd love to hear from someone who's actually tried this!

Offline SvK

• Initiate
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
Instead of an enclosed holster, I would use a horizontal strap to secure the gun between the handle and the magazine, like Seraphim said.  Holstering the gun would require two hands: one to hold the pistol, and the other to operate the strap.  That's not an ideal solution, since bolt pistols are usually wielded with a close-combat weapon in the other hand.

Offline wookieegunner

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »
You could also create a rigid holster that had a slot in the back for the magazine to slide down.  As far as not knocking off seals, you could make it a little too wide and then put a strip of foam in that would press on the gun above the seals, leaving an air gap between the seals and the holster.

Offline Lord Jacobus

• Scout
  • :
    • http://chaplainhopkins.deviantart.com/
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I know Its long gone and destroyed.. but the bolt pistol I made I just attached to my belt with velcro... not exactly a prime solution, but it worked.

Offline neophyl

• Initiate
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
You could always use a covertec clip light we use on lightsabres.  
Ive used the same before on smg's.

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
i usually use an alice clip attached to the gun, they are the tension based clips that are attached to most military canteens

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
I like the Covertec clip Idea ( i have some)do the the small size, but one thing I came across when thinking about this is the paint wear from rubbing.  I think Wookie had the right idea in that it needs to be a some what rigid holster...

I was thinking the holster attached to the belt via Covertec clip and alow the gun to slip into and out of ( with care of course) the holster and the hoslter to be removed from the costume with minimal impact to the design look of it.

I was thinking of using craft foam for this because it has a bit of give, but still holds it shape very well.

I would build a frame for the gun from plastic card/rod then cover it with craft foam. It would have to be a minimalist holster, with a hole cut into the bottom for the barrel, most of the sides cut away for the clip, ejection port, seals, anything that might catch and break, with a light/thin strap across the top secrured by maybe verlcro or a snap or something to hold the gun in place.

I should say the design I am thinking up is best used with a gun like Kommissar has made. It's best suited to this and is six kindsa awesome.

Finnlock

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
Kinda like what this guy has... But for a bolt pistol...

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2009/03/sh...onor-guard.html

Finnlock

Offline wookieegunner

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 05:32:00 AM »

Offline lilibat

• Initiate
  • :
    • http://gothfashion.info
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »
Once my husband gets his finished, I am going to be making a strappy one for it. I have a rough design in mind for both it and my plasma but it will be impossible for me to make it till it is fully assembled.

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Quote from: wookieegunner date=1258799520
Something like this?

http://byyourcommand.net/photogallery/albu...ops/Holster.jpg
That's what I was thinking. Like SvK said, it's not ideal, but it's better than most ideas. Speaking of holsters, how exactly does one sheath a chainsword? I was thinking of just building some metal loops onto the non-chain side of the sword and hanging it from the belt with chains and clips. That method could work for the bolt pistol, too, I suppose.

Offline Korpsman

• Die Totes Korps
  • Marine
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Seraphim date=1258863000
Quote from: wookieegunner date=1258799520
Something like this?

http://byyourcommand.net/photogallery/albu...ops/Holster.jpg
That's what I was thinking. Like SvK said, it's not ideal, but it's better than most ideas. Speaking of holsters, how exactly does one sheath a chainsword? I was thinking of just building some metal loops onto the non-chain side of the sword and hanging it from the belt with chains and clips. That method could work for the bolt pistol, too, I suppose.
Looking at the cover for Hero Of The Imperium, the chainsword appears to be sheathed with two belts just below the hilt.

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
I can experiment with that, but there can't be teeth there if that's where the straps are going. I'll check out the line drawings for the sword in Dark Heresy to see if there's some kind of guard there.

Offline Isinglass

• Scout
  • :
Holstering a Boltpistol?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Some great ideas people have come up with. Its been bugging me for ages but now it seems like there are several options to try. Thanks guys!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  Holstering a Boltpistol?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx