gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49440 Posts in 2562 Topics by 5523 Members - Latest Member: CRoberts March 28, 2020, 05:41:20 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Runed Frost Axe - Commission
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Runed Frost Axe - Commission  (Read 14208 times)

Offline wookieegunner

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Runed Frost Axe - Commission
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
If it wasn't for the lack of flexibility, the hose looks a lot like a pool vacuum hose to me.  I did a little searching and found some blue conduit nicknamed "Smurf Tube", maybe that is what it is?

Offline Omalleh

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Awesome Axe so far! Loving your projects Djinn.

The flexible tubing used looks very similar to flexible electrical conduit I use pretty regularly at work,
Its sold @ TLC-Direct in the UK, or most Electrical Wholesalers should sell it. I imagine its available universally as flexible conduit, though I may be wrong =)

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Ah-ha! Smurf tube!

I shall go to the gaint home improvment store this very nite and see!

Offline kaiwanxiao

• 3d Coy Master, Dark Angels
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I think I may experiment with Illusion Film and some blue Glowire. But I believe in leaving perfection as-is. Out of respect for Djinn's work I'm gonna wait until I see how massively epic the glowing rune effect is.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Haha, well I got the EL wire in the mail today, and dammit all its not bright enough! I'll have to use LEDs, but that EL wire will see use elsewhere. Its bright, but it doesnt cast off any light - you know what I mean? It itself is highly visible, but it does not make any of the area surrounding the wire light up. Won't work for what I needed it for, the LEDs will do a fine job though.
Also for the tubing, that electrical tubing Omalleh linked looks pretty much exactly like it, I went by the hardware store today and it was just called "Flexible Tubing", so that probably isn't too helpful.

Pics coming later, I am figuring out the wiring and placement for the leds heh.
Thanks for all the kind responses =D

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
After WAY too much wracking my brain and tinkering and soldering and getting angry, I finally had a good idea for getting the light to work. Now that the suckin electronics step is mostly out of the way, I can finally move forward! seal everything and fix all the blemishes and paint it! oh joy! Next few days are going to see the axe come near to completion =D

Haters gonna hate.

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
sexy axe is SEXY
 [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/14623/129/emo/d90ef53c8f7c0555ea208fbf08e19c08.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='d90ef53c8f7c0555ea208fbf08e19c08.gif' />

Offline Capt.

• Just an old Imperial Royalist English Gentleman
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
I knew I should have commissioned you first!

That's awesome.

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Very cool [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
Working on getting it together in a solid way that still looks cool/fits the theme I got going in my head. All the screws you may see are placeholders while I find a setup I like, but here are some shots of it currently (with a tiny bit of paint, was mostly to see what it would look like)

The white screws are a post style thing with 2 heads, it actually makes the whole thing a ton sturdier and holds the rune plates in place for tinkering before I set them more or less permanently. The second picture shows the thing I am using to connect it to the rest of the axe The majority of it will be internalized so you won't see it, but the sidemost bit (the area on the top and the two bolts) you will see. I will most likely be using the bolts there as the starting point for the power field leads.
Still working on it, since the blade is sort of heavy compared to the rest of it, I'm working out a way to attach it to the head of the axe in a reliable and sturdy way (I have a few good ideas)

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 05:08:00 AM »
Bwahaha! The hardest and least fun bits are over! I have successfully come up with a system to solidly keep the blade of the axe in place, along with the handle and the rest of the axe head. This is where the fun part starts, I get to finish the cleaning up and sealing, come up with a paint scheme and paint it, and the loads of other stuff I have planned for the thing. Don't mind the handle, I have plans for it that will bring it up to size, I just had to get it attached.

I'll post pictures of my contraption later, but it essentially enables me to disassemble the ENTIRE axe without damaging paint or having to reseal anything at all. It also mounts the heavier axe blade to the wooden handle, instead of to the hollow power supply head.
I won't be able to disassemble it all the way when I get to the later stages, but I should always be able to remove the axe blade if necessary. This will make doing adjustments and working with electronics 100x easier.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 05:15:00 AM »
The guy you're building this for is a really good friend of mine- but I think you're spoiling him!! You better put this much work into the commission I give you!  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

Seriously- This is very impressive.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
I am spoiling him haha. We'll see how much time i have left after this commission is over, I'm moving off island in July, and will pretty much have to completely stop building for an unknown amount of time, as I will have lost access to the woodshop I have been using to make all this stuff. I should have time to make you something though ^_~

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »
Where you moving to?  I was planning my Hawaiian holiday!!!

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »
Island hopping to Oahu, taking baby steps you know. I plan to eventually end up in L.A. or a similar city in California eventually, but I cannot fathom jumping out of the country and into the big city and coping well.
Winter is the time to visit Hawaii tbh, during summer we have nasty droughts and everything is dry and hot as balls, in winter its always a pleasant temperature and it rains enough to keep everything green. I am pretty jaded but I've been catching myself appreciating the scenery more recently. The planned move is 8 months away though, so I have plenty of time to work!
If you ever do end up visiting Hawaii though, let me know.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Runed Frost Axe - Commission

gfxgfx
gfx gfx