gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49440 Posts in 2562 Topics by 5523 Members - Latest Member: CRoberts March 28, 2020, 03:56:17 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Runed Frost Axe - Commission
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Runed Frost Axe - Commission  (Read 14190 times)

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Runed Frost Axe - Commission
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Hahah, I like to keep busy. At least when I am interesting in something.
It's more fun for me then it rightfully should be, lots of tedious cutting.. but don't worry - I haven't even looked at any pep files for the actual armor yet. The weapon is probably not the easiest part, but it certainly is the most fun and the most satisfying to have laying around. (Nothing motivates like a completed power weapon eh?)
It won't take till May, but I haven't even rightfully started yet.

I almost hope our brother from Fenris doesn't want me to mail it to him early XD I want to play with it.
Hahah, I like to keep busy. At least when I am interesting in something.
It's more fun for me then it rightfully should be, lots of tedious cutting.. but don't worry - I haven't even looked at any pep files for the actual armor yet. The weapon is probably not the easiest part, but it certainly is the most fun and the most satisfying to have laying around. (Nothing motivates like a completed power weapon eh?)
It won't take till May, but I haven't even rightfully started yet.

I almost hope our brother from Fenris doesn't want me to mail it to him early XD I want to play with it.
.. I do kind of have a bad habit of doing 2-3 updates a day though huh..

Offline Captain Thomas

• Yarr?
  • Marine
  • :
    • http://captainthomas.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Where excactly did you find those runes? They don't match with the runic alphabet I have, and I got that from a viking museum here in Denmark... I can scan it and post it here if you want...

Offline Imperial Gothic

• Imperial Fists 5th Company Captain
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.facebook.com/RosesAndBoltshells
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Captain Thomas.. I had no idea you were from Denmark too...  

wicked..

I have nothing to add, that haven't already been said.. your skills are on par with.. those insane boys who make the Halo armours..

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
ER... Found them on google.it's probably not exact, and I think I may have used the Latin word for endure... In runes... They are the runes that match the models blade, at least from the same set. I might redo it, but I doubt anyone but you guys will call me on it heh heh.
Actually no Ima just redo it with the exact symbols from the frost axe model.

Offline Cptn. Palladorus

• Honor Guard
  • :
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Yeah, read from top to bottom it says "perfer".  Not sure if that means anything in any old Germanic or Scandinavian languages.

Go here.

EDIT: Just ran it through a translator, and while I don't speak Latin myself (and so can't verify it), it appears to be the un-conjugated, un-infinitive form of "endure" in Latin.  Latin in Elder Futhark does seem fitting for Space Wolfs, writing High Gothic in their own peculiar Fenrisian script.

Offline Captain Thomas

• Yarr?
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Ah, ok, then it makes more sense  =)
Yeah, writin latin with runes does seem like a cool idea for space wolves.

@ Imperial Gothic, hvilken del af landet er du fra?

Offline Imperial Gothic

• Imperial Fists 5th Company Captain
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.facebook.com/RosesAndBoltshells
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
I find, that unless you use standard latin, no one really cares - today EVERYONE is apparently fluid in latin XD The runes look cool, and unless its die hard important - keep it as is.. thats just my humble oppinion [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

(ramblings in danish - carry on, nothing to see here.. )
@ Captain Thomas: Jeg er fra midtjylland! Daniel H

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 04:02:00 AM »
Well, heresy grows from idleness as I always say, so I steeled myself and bust out the dremel.

See the strip? I'm going to sink a identical strip of opaqued plexiglass into each side, and run EL wire up and down the strip so that when I add the plate that covers this section and has the runes..

A pale blue light will filter through the plexiglass and the runes will glow
for the first lighting effect anyways

Size comparison and added shiny bits. Not the final location or color of said shinies, but I'll have a pair of those things somewhere on the psu area. Probably in blue.
I certainly hope its big enough.

Offline Captain Thomas

• Yarr?
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Oooh, Shiney!
I'm looking foreward to seeing how the runes look when they glow, but what is that round glowy thing exactly?

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
Took a couple days off while waiting for the EL wire to arrive, should be here tomorrow so in preparation I am setting up the plexiglass windows for the runes. I successfully sunk one side in and got it flush, dont mind the little blemishes in the bondo, as I'll clean them up later and they are going to be covered by the runes anyways.

This is with the rune plate over the top of it, I cant wait to play around with the EL wire and get the lighting just right =D I certainly hope it turns out as cool as it looks in my head.

Offline Capt.

• Just an old Imperial Royalist English Gentleman
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
I have no doubts it will. [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Working on the axe's power supply. going to do some painting tomorrow to get a better idea of what I want it to look like, but here is some unpainted wip.

Also thanks Capt!

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
NIce work! Are you using El Wire strip or wire form?
I would say strip judging by your cut out, it woukd also make the most sense given the project..

One question, shouldn't the light from the power plant be the same color as the enrgy on the blade? I just wonder if that would help the piece look more united and uniform when finished.

But please tell me what is the blue hose? and how flexable it is??!?!*MUST KNOW*!

Keep up the good work!

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
The red led was just there to show that it will be lit up too.
I ordered some EL wire for this one, and since I haven't ever used the stuff before, I'll figure out exactly how I'm going to use it when it gets here heh heh. The PSUs lighting will also be blue.
The blue hose thing is.. fairly rigid (though it does bend)
I believe it is some sort of electrical wire protector for outdoor electric work. I honestly bought it a long time ago and can't remember. Though it was very cheap ($4) and came in a 8 foot tube. It bends really easily if you warm it up, and then maintains its shape pretty well once its cooled. bought it from a mjaor hardware store in the wiring section.

Edit: Also the round glowly things are actually a gutted LED nightlight I found I Walmart for $3 each. They came in a bunch of cool designs, for everything BUT their intended purpose of course.

Offline kaiwanxiao

• 3d Coy Master, Dark Angels
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
This is a nice job. Very nice. I really dig the glowing runes and power source effect, that's very ingenious. I wonder what it would look like if you combined it with that illusion film, or would that be overkill?

Finnlock, if you can't find a hose like the one Djinn has, I know of an alternate source, though it's a bit more expensive than Djinn's $4 hose...

http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cf...9&categoryID=19

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Runed Frost Axe - Commission

gfxgfx
gfx gfx