gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49347 Posts in 2560 Topics by 5377 Members - Latest Member: Ferro Ignas December 14, 2019, 10:43:05 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  All is dust! *coughcough*
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: All is dust! *coughcough*  (Read 279 times)

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
All is dust! *coughcough*
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
Materials Used for the helmet:
  • 8 eva foam mats. size: (Used 2 for the helmets+2 for the second corrected helmet+2 for the crown) Price 24.99€
  • Stucco elastico 5.95€ (Gesso-like?)
  • gomma liquida 23.99€ (Plastidip-like?)
  • Sandpaper, different grits. 2.6€
  • Paint (to be bought)

Tools I bought (not counting in the total expense as they will be used for other stuff as well)

It begins!
So, after browsing, lurking, asking, checking, wondering, etc etc etc, I'm set to start building my Thousand Sons costume. (yeah I know, original title for the topic lol)
This is the related helmet I managed to find. (I've been browsing the forum and realized someone commissioned somebody else for a TS helmet. I really hope this one I found online isn't THAT one, though since I'm actually altering it and doing my own version, I guess it should be fine?)

I don't like much the "standard" face part, so I decided to use this one instead , removing the horns, and using the "crown" part of the other helmet.

I am not yet set on "how" to build the body though. Meaning I'm not gonna follow closely any existing mini or pic, instead I'm gonna pick things I like from different sources and see if they can fit together.
I'm probably gonna go the sorcerer route, so no HUGE marine, no stilts, no power glove etc.
I like a lot this one for example:

This is another I'm gonna get inspiration from:

I have no idea yet regarding weapons either, let's start with the basics!

Tomorrow I'm getting my first batch of foam so today it's printday. I printed the round shape of the base of the helmet. cut it, reproduced it in corrugated cardboard and tried to figure out if the size was the right one. It definitely wasn't, so I widened it til my head could snug through, then I measured the space between the closes edges, and reproduced the same distance in pepakura.
printed and tried the new layout the same way, we are good to go now.
then reproduced the same size in the other file and printed out the layouts for the "crown" part.
Cutted them all already so I'm ready for tomorrow. Can't wait!!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:13:00 AM by TankReady »

Offline adeptus mechanicus

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: All is dust! *coughcough*
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »
Just remember, that the foam has a thickness to it that doesn't read thru in pepakura. It might turn out a little narrower on the inside for your head to fit thru.(you may need to scale it up just a bit)  As far as the foam goes, your can turn off the flaps in some of the options in the program and join some pieces together so it doesn't get so fiddly with all the tiny parts.
 May I suggest Barge cement for your glue. This stuff is awesome. I tried a variety of different glues and had the best luck with it.

I actually like the first robed figure in black a lot! If youre going to do the helmet in foam, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to make some smaller armor pieces to go with the whole suit. They don't have to be space marine huge.  Good luck on your build, cant wait to see some progress
Winged freak,...wait til they get a load of me

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »
Just remember, that the foam has a thickness to it that doesn't read thru in pepakura. It might turn out a little narrower on the inside for your head to fit thru.(you may need to scale it up just a bit)  As far as the foam goes, your can turn off the flaps in some of the options in the program and join some pieces together so it doesn't get so fiddly with all the tiny parts.
 May I suggest Barge cement for your glue. This stuff is awesome. I tried a variety of different glues and had the best luck with it.

I actually like the first robed figure in black a lot! If youre going to do the helmet in foam, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to make some smaller armor pieces to go with the whole suit. They don't have to be space marine huge.  Good luck on your build, cant wait to see some progress
Thanks for your answer!
I have indeed removed the flaps on the files as I figured I wouldn't need them as much as I did on the paper project I did so far.
I will have to figure out how different it is working on foam instead of paper, a lot of trial and error incoming I guess!
For the glue I was actually thinking hot glue as I already have gun and several sticks. Sadly, being in Italy, I can't get my hands on most of the commonly mentioned products and I have to find my own alternatives :S

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »
It doesn't have to be Barge brand per say. This glue or contact cement as they call it,can be any brand that might be comparable to it. It's a shoe makers or leather working cement that's really strong.
The problem you might face with hot glue is that it doesn't sand well and doesn't like paint. You have to be really tight with your seams. Not to say that it isn't possible, but you might have better luck with some kind of contact cement. It's alittle more forgiving for 1st timers like me. Besides, I hate sanding, fiberglass and body filler. I've done enough of that working on cars. Make all of your cuts as clean and straight as you can. And sharp blades are a must. Good luck!

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »
And we have the first "progress" post:

I started my helmet work, outline of the base printed:

then set on the foam

and outlined

aaaand CUT

MY HEAD FITS THROUGH!
very nice
Also, I promise I won't post update of EVERY single piece cut lol! This was just the to celebrate the start of the project!

Test with the sides:

Aaand a bunch of pieces cut:

Also you can see the crown shaped in cardboard, just wanted to see how big it turned to be, and I'm gonna make some tests with that before actually cutting the foam.

Tonight at home I'm gonna start gluing, the whole berserker helmet is there, after I finish the base part I'm gonna tackle the crown.

EDIT
Holy Dust the pics are huge how do I scale those?
Imma post the album for now cause I don't wanna overload the forum with my pics xD
https://imgur.com/gallery/buKcohF

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »
Nice start! If I could make a small suggestion, the patterns are sometimes real blocky and chopped looking. You can round out some of the curves to make them smoother. It saves a lot of sanding corners at the end (like the hole you put your head thru). It has something to do with the way the program turns the image into polygons. All the surfaces are triangles or such. You should be able to tell which lines you can get away with smoothing out from the 3D model in pepakura. Keep up the good work!

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind for the future pieces!
Also, I noticed I posted in the wrong subforum. Blergh...

All pieces spread out:

(yay managed to scale pictures)

And it begins. I don't think I've seen anybody doing this? It helped me a lot to line up the pieces before gluing and shaping the foam a bit. (yeah, too much hot gun in that point, learned that.)

I managed to attach all the base parts, gonna work on the top today.

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind for the future pieces!
Also, I noticed I posted in the wrong subforum. Blergh...

All pieces spread out:

(yay managed to scale pictures)

And it begins. I don't think I've seen anybody doing this? It helped me a lot to line up the pieces before gluing and shaping the foam a bit. (yeah, too much hot gun in that point, learned that.)

I managed to attach all the base parts, gonna work on the top today.
Use straight pins, Ive done this and it helps big time.( smaller holes to deal with when you prep for paint).Use your heat gun to soften the pieces to curve it easier and to close the pores in the foam when you get ready to paint. Keep rockin!

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
So the other day I completed the helmet.
And I started over.
It was getting quite clear something along the way didn't work, and it ended up "bad".
It could probably be worked on in "post production", but I decided to begin anew, using the knowledge it gave me.
First of all, the original file had 2 holes in the sides, where the horn were supposed to be. Not wanting the horns I figured I could avoid those gaps in the sides, but I now think it made it so the structure didn't bend like it was supposed to because of the "extra stuff" that was there.
Also, I wasn't convinced by how the pieces had been laid out in the file, so went on and changed some of the joints here and there to have more consistent pieces.
Another thing that I realized only halfway through was the angle some of those pieces were supposed to be cut at, in order to be able to join correctly when glued, so I started again, and this time cut them already at a steeper angle instead of straight cut.

The base is now MUCH cleaner both cut wise and glue wise, and I already cut all the other pieces, gonna try and glue them on tonight to see how it end up being.
Oh, I didn't cut the head hole. There were 2 points where the other structure seemed too fragile so I decided I'd cut it later on with my dremel.

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 05:04:17 AM »
Progress was had!

Starting to fit the dome, coming nice and clean.

Testing the face plate

Here, I hit a "wall". I was pleased with the overall result so far, I only had to attach the face, the cheeks, and the last part of the dome. And I just couldn't make myself. I was afraid that if some of the parts wasn't going to fit correctly, I would have had to scrap it all and start again, but it was fine til then, and I couldn't ruin it.
It took me a bit to just go for it.

here we have the cheeks, everything seems still fine.

and in the end

it is done.

I am SO happy it turned out all right. It's much much cleaner, good simmetry, nice shape. I'm really satisfied.
There are a couple "flaws", for example in the dome for some reason on the part shown in the picture, one of the flaps left an opening instead of adhering to the following one. The other side fit perfectly, and I really can't tell what went wrong, but it's a gap I can fill easily, and since I noticed that difference BEFORE actually gluing, instead of starting close to it, I started from the middle front and went backwards, so it didn't shift the whole faceplate. (Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense while reading it lol.
Basically, if I started attaching it from the middle, the gap wouldn't have been there, but the front would have ended misaligned. Instead, I started from the front and kept it aligned and ended up with an easily overcomed gap in the middle)
The holes in the sides aren't supposed to be there, but it's where the horns should have been. I'm gonna cover it while setting up the crown so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course this is the "base" of the helmet, now I'm gonna tackle the crown, which actually scares me way less, and I'm gonna face it with a different attitude. The whole base is done so I can go on and try a thousand crowns but I still won't have to redo the base *_*

Let's do this!!!

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 06:14:27 AM »
Looks good! The trick is to not be afraid to try something. It's only foam . Take it 1 piece at a time and you'll make good progress. If something isn't quite right, backtrack and fix it. As far as the holes go, maybe you can make some kind of small trim plate to cover them. Make it look like it's supposed to be there and nobody will ever know! Keep up the good work!

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 06:32:59 AM »
Yeah I'm gonna have the base of the crown starting  from there so it will cover them and voilà xD

Ok, so after printing the crown from the other file, it turned out... small? XD

Decided to freehand and get a feeling of what size is best

Probably a bit too big

This might actually be the right proportion. What do you think? A bit smaller maybe?

more attempts
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:57:44 AM by TankReady »

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
If you look at the first pic of the pep file up top, you kinda see the size comparison of the crown to the helmet. Its about 2 helmets high and about half again as wide. But you can make it whatever you want, that's the beauty of it. Its only cardboard at this point. This is the point where you refine it down and only have to cut foam once. I like the last version where its a little taller, myself. Keep rockin dude!

Offline TankReady

• Initiate
  • :
  • Brother of Dust
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 04:47:50 AM »
So last night after the soccer match I decided to get to work a little.
I started by patching the earholes. nothing fancy as it's a part that will get covered partially by the lower part of the crown.
My set of foam "puzzle pieces" came with "endings" line of foam with the inserts to close the puzzle pieces. I was fiddling with one of them, removed all the inserts and there I had a long, straight piece of foam. I tried it on and liked what I saw, and decided to put it as "base support" of the crown itself.

Then, again with one of those pieces, another epiphany which turned into this. I had already thought about doing something like this (as you can see from a previous image where I outlined this shape with a fingernail) but I had no idea how easily I could pull it off, and how nice it would turn. Quite pleased.

This morning, while having breakfast, a third epiphany (oh my)
I had been thinking how so far I have been able to move the helmet in a bag cause it's still "small", but this won't happen as soon as the crown is on.
So, why glue it on? I might put 2/3 magnets in the bottom of the crown, 2/3 in the helmet where the crown stands, and remove it when I have to relocate the helmet, reducing its bulk!
And, coincidentally, the work I did yesterday would help achieving this, as doing another "ridge" on the back like the one in the front, will create a perfect "insert" hole for the crown, covering the place where crown and helmet connects and helping keeping it "straight" on!
It made me really excited, if I can pull it off, of course.

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
Just make sure the magnets are really strong. A slight wind comes along and it'll blow it off. I tried the magnets on the small shields on my shoulder pauldrons and they ended up not working. You have some height leverage going on there. You might add something to the bottom of the crown that plugs into the helmet to lend strength the magnets. I like where this is going!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  All is dust! *coughcough*

gfxgfx
gfx gfx