gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49300 Posts in 2557 Topics by 5341 Members - Latest Member: ErectileReptile November 12, 2019, 11:08:42 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Mutants, Xenos, and Heretics  |  AVE DOMINUS NOX - Night Lords - Halloween 2019 Build [Complete]
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AVE DOMINUS NOX - Night Lords - Halloween 2019 Build [Complete]  (Read 12 times)

Offline Erryln

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
AVE DOMINUS NOX - Night Lords - Halloween 2019 Build [Complete]
« on: November 09, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
Prelude:

Sometime in November of 2018, I went to my local Public Library to attend a free lecture on Armorsmithing with EVA FOAM (massive thanks to Tess Jewell and Toronto Public Library!).

Visions and fantasies of stomping around in a suit of power armor danced in my head as I left the lecture that night, armed with a little bit of knowledge and a fierce desire to start cutting EVA foam.

I decided to make a Space Marine cosplay, as I thought it would be simpler to do than other fully enclosed sci-fi suits, and that templates might already exist for it. I felt that my inexperience might lead to mistakes, and imperfection. With this in mind, I chose to work on a Heretic Astartes costume, instead of a Loyalist Space Marine.

I’m a big fan of the Horus Heresy series and the Night Lords books by Aaron, Dembski-Bowen. I also share a first name with the Night Lords Primarch. It seemed a natural choice!  Given that the Night Lords lack the firm supply lines of the other Traitor Legions, I wanted to do a mishmash of armor patterns to represent their scavenging nature.

When I looked for patterns online, the majority of them were for True-Scale Marine costumes, and were Aquila-Pattern.

Given that I wanted to wear my suit for Halloween and visit work with it, stilt patterns were out. I also felt Aquila pattern was too new for a Night Lord to have gotten a full suit of it. As I read more and more Horus Heresy stuff for inspiration, I found myself gravitating towards the older marks of armor. In my imagination, my Night Lord could have made a killing scavenging bits and pieces of older marks on Istvaan V during the massacre.

I hit paydirt when I found a Mk.2/Mk.3 full pattern for pepakura! I scaled it for my height, printed it out and hoped for the best.

In order to keep costs down, I got the majority of my foam from Dollarama, buying packs of 1ftx1ft floor mats and 3ftx2.5ft floor mats. Both of these were on the thinner side. I did luck out and find thicker quality foam mats at Home Depot and Rona on clearance for $10 a pack! These were much heftier, being about an inch thick and 2x2.

For adhesives, I originally tried Lepage contact cement. You can see the results on my helmet in the attachments

I was irked by the huge gaps that LePage left and how easily everything came apart. I found the miracle cure though. BARGE All-Purpose CEMENT Rubber Leather Shoe Waterproof Glue! Luckily, the local leatherworking supply shop had it for only $33.95 for a big can, instead of Amazon's insane $88 a gallon price.

With barge, I found my seams were tighter, and my stuff held together better. It still took some trial and error. I highly recommend EvilTed’s video on seams: https:/ /www. youtube.com /watch ?v=QPDjeT8cOi8 for tips if you’re new to it.

To seal, I gave all my foam a few coats of home-made modgepodge (Amazon Basics School Glue + Water). After which, I used Gleddin’s Latex House Paint in Midnight Blue on the majority of my costume applied by hand with a brush. Speed Pro in Aurora White was applied on parts that I would have to paint Red (Sprayed initially with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Red but then touched up with Dollarama Acrylic Paints). For metal parts, I sprayed Rust-Oleom Silver over Midnight Blue, or Rust-Oleum Gold over Midnight Blue.

Offline Erryln

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: AVE DOMINUS NOX - Night Lords - Halloween 2019 Build [Complete]
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
ARMAMENTS:

For my armaments, I went with a Plasma Pistol which I 3d printed from this file: https:/ /www. thingiverse. com/thing:2860649
I gave it a quick paint job and slapped some wooden Dollarama letters spelling LEX on the side.

On to my sword! I wanted something con-safe, so I chose to make it out of foam instead of 3dprinting it. I also wanted to make my Astartes a duellist, soI went about designing a two-hander Chainsword. The core of my sword was a $4 wooden broomstick from Dollarama.  I spent a good hour playing around with the broom like a sword in order to establish how long the haft would be.
I built up a core of foam around it to try and make it balanced. I messed up my proportions a little bit with the Chainsword as my templates weren’t exactly straight. As a result, my chainsword ended up a bit… tilted. I initially had trouble designing the teeth of the sword. My original version had 3 rows of teeth, but when I glued them in, they looked wrong.

With a bit of creativity, and patience, I cut and glued out a single larger chain of teeth. For ornamentation, I got wooden letters from Dollarama for $4 and glued AVE DOMINUS NOX and PRAECEPTA NATURAE on either side.

For the pommel, I bought a tiny skull (Dollarama 4 for $1.50) that I spray painted gold and fit over a bit of foam.I think I screwed up on basecoating the skull, because my gold flaked off very quickly despite having coated it 3 times over a brown sprayed basecoat. I wrapped the haft with torn up pieces of a leather coat that I acquired ($10) from a local vintage shop. I originally wanted to use the leather to make a cloak of flayed skin, but I did not get to work on it in time. Strips of leather were hot glued to the handle and wrapped tightly.

Ultimately, I’m really happy with the Chainsword despite its flaws. It’s HEFTY, and loads of people loved taking pictures with it. My sword arm did feel strained from carrying it when I did go out with it. I foolishly kept it in one hand due to some costume failures that I’ll get into later in this write-up.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Mutants, Xenos, and Heretics  |  AVE DOMINUS NOX - Night Lords - Halloween 2019 Build [Complete]

gfxgfx
gfx gfx