gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49098 Posts in 2536 Topics by 4785 Members - Latest Member: killaluggi January 19, 2019, 06:12:19 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  My Primaris Ultramarine Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My Primaris Ultramarine Build  (Read 197 times)

Offline Sithslayer78

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • Instagram
My Primaris Ultramarine Build
« on: December 18, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Hey everyone, after losing myself in the new dark imperium lore, I’ve decided to finally follow through and make a Ultramarines Primaris Space Marine. I’ve always wanted a SM costume since I saw those full-scale Blood Angel statues GW had commissioned, but now ITS TIME! I've been posting about this build on the FB group, but I figured I had better do some more thorough documentation on the build, especially once I start wrapping up foam construction. It's been a while since I did a proper WIP thread so here goes:

Like any proper Son of Guilliman would say, the first thing to work out is logistics! This needs to be a fast ass build since I need it done in time for Katsucon in February. So, this is going to be a 3 month build and so far I’m barely clinging onto schedule.

Next, I wanted to get a feel for the layout of the build, so I exported all the Shiney SM gamerip peps to .obj and laid them out against a 3D scan of myself:

The build is going to come out to 7’ tall ish, with room to play around at the feet for a few more/less inches if need be. I had thought of making the build bigger still than a normal marine, but I personally feel that Primaris marines are just truescale normal marines with fancier armor. I figure that I can probably freehand all of the Primaris upgrades except for maybe the backpack.
I also mocked up the marine in mini form, so I have something to refer to for all aspects:

And since they're easy, I tackled Purity Seals first.

I built the helmet from the SM files, but I didn’t like how sharp the front of the forehead spiked down and how the back wasn’t offset upwards from the base. Fortunately, my foam tolerances didn’t go exactly as planned and the back ended up being raised anyway. I cut out the divot in the back, freehanded the faceplate/ears, and filled in the rest so that the helmet was sturdy.

I want to add a one-way ventilation system and maybe a mic in the future, but that will come later.
Next, I knocked out the shoulder bells. They seemed oversized to me but that was partly because I didn’t really curve them right. I added a wooden brace to the bottom to hold the curve and now they seem just slightly oversized so I might just run with them. I also haven’t finished the bottom because I’ve heard of other builds needing to trim it and didn’t want to risk it in either eventuality.
[Theoretical: Put WIP Picture here. Practical: I was too lazy to take pictures of this part and will later and then pretend it was taken at the time of construction.]
Arm construction was really quick, made a shoulder thing to mount retainer straps/shoulder positioners to. I’ll probably add some LEDs or buttons in the left forearm but for now there’s just a hole.

Right now, these arms are a bit too long for me to reach till the end so I’m probably going to be rocking hand extensions unless I have time to make shorter forearms. The goal is to have both hand extensions and simple gloves, so I can swap them as needed.
Next up is the torso/cod, which actually happened a lot faster than I expected. Doing the Primaris mods to the torso was a bit sketchy at first, but it all worked out in the end. Also, I finally got a full picture of all templates cut out for the part which was cool. The silhouette I’m using is a lifesaver, I'd be weeks behind and suicidal by now if not for this.

I’m thinking about attaching the winged skull magnetically, so I can have a chest storage compartment, but that depends on how much space I’ll actually end up with in there. Also, I need bigger wings because these look small.

For the joints, I found some flex ducting that comes covered in a layer of black PVC plastic, so I think I’ll use that instead of fumbling with a sewing machine. I also have a plan to mount the shoulders, so I can do more poses using a 3D printed bearing and pivot for the shoulder.

So, here’s all of the above in kind of a haphazard arrangement that collapsed shortly after the picture was taken. I’m happy so far, but still a little worried about the shoulders. The bottoms aren’t quite square with the inner sides so I might, at a minimum, cut off the inner bottom to make that part square.

Like I said, I wasn’t happy with the gamerips for the backpack so I made my own using a file for a mini I found on thingiverse. I still had to do some freehand mods, but it was a much easier place to start from than the other file, and I’m really happy about how it turned out. Also making those ball vents was the absolute worst part of the build so far, it’s just so damn tedious making foam spheres.

I’m going to have the back center plate magnetically attached so I can fiddle with connectors, the battery, and ventilation.

For cooling, the idea is to have a fan pulling air along my limbs towards their end before being sent to the backpack for venting. Back of the envelope for me has ~100 cfm ventilation requirement to maintain temperature at ambient RT. I was going to go with a 130 cfm fan with decent static pressure and also a peltier cooler against my back and hope that that is good enough. I just gotta come up with a magnetic coupler for the back vent and make sure that the legs end up being mostly airtight. I might do something like adding a little fabric elastic cuff to the end of the joints going into the leg or something. I’ve got a large battery that should be able to hold out for around 5 hours of runtime.

I have some time off for the holidays so I’ll be pushing hard to get the legs done so I can focus on mounting and painting. I still need to decide if this is going to be a Primaris sergeant or lieutenant, mainly so I can decide on how to paint the helmet.

Offline doomfist

• Tech Priest of the Cheapus Mechanicus
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • deviantart.com/
Re: My Primaris Ultramarine Build
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:55:12 PM »
WOW.    Awesome start, can't wait to see this finished.   
Suffer not the glue gun to burn

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
Looking good, can't wait to see this build progress.

Offline Sithslayer78

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
Finished the primary build, that’s not the end of the foam work, but all the basic construction is now done. I tried standing it up for a picture but that didn’t go well.

So I managed to get it all laid out horizontally, minus the backpack. I’m happy with the scale, and with the Primaris mods too. The whole thing came out to almost exactly 7 feet tall too, which I was happy about, I wasn’t sure how much hell that half inch foam would play with my scaling. I also tested the backpack briefly on the torso, it seemed fine.

I spent about a day with a Dremel carving out wing feathers for the torso too. Not looking to do that again, but I’m super happy with the result.

I’m still holding onto my schedule, and with my spare time before new years I started working on the weapons as well. I have a tough idea of what my plasma pistol will look like, and I’ve done some CAD on the sword too.

Going to print the blade in clear PLA and then run 2 led strips up the middle to make it a Power sword, or I guess, gladius. Current estimate has it measuring about 90 cm long.

I’m currently waiting on the batteries to arrive, so I can confirm dimensions before making the cuts in CAD for the handle and designing the pommel. I’m probably going to skip the scabbard though, because I could definitely see that getting in the way a lot. I’ll probably opt instead for some sort of magnetic holder, or something similar, if anything at all.

I’m also working on the rest of the 3D printed hardware for mounting. I’ve got a first go at a 3D printed bearing designed for airsoft BBs for the arms, which should allow me to rotate and hinge the shoulder bell properly with the arm.

I’m anticipating that mounting and iteration will take a while for prints to turn around, so I’ll probably start working on painting and electronics in parallel with that. Stay tuned for updates!

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
Super clean build, I am very impressed. Can't wait to see more of your WIP.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  My Primaris Ultramarine Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx