gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49083 Posts in 2534 Topics by 4728 Members - Latest Member: pyromaster55 December 10, 2018, 11:13:59 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  + Build Log : Cadian Lieutenant +
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: + Build Log : Cadian Lieutenant +  (Read 87 times)

Offline Centauri-Works

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
+ Build Log : Cadian Lieutenant +
« on: November 11, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
Heya !

So , now that i have a little free time on my hands , i decided to start working on a costume i've been wanting to tackle for ages : a simple Guardsman ! :D
I'm currently tired of building a crap ton of Star Wars kits and i want something else for Conventions , both local and abroad , and given my current grim dark mood , a Guardsman is the perfect choice . I'm doing a Cadian not only because it's the most iconic regiment out there , but also because i really love Cadians , especially since the fall of Cadia .
I'll probably work on a Tanith Scout afterwards , using the same files .

Said files are up there in the library , they're mine .
I scaled them to my size and exported them in PDF format to print in a store , saving me the trouble of having to re-trace all the patterns on thick paper . I just prefer to pay a dozen or so euros and get everything printed on cardstock straight away , something like 250-300g paper .

Going for the good old Pepakura / resin / fiberglass route . I prefer that to squishy foam that might get damaged if i decide to bring the costume abroad .

So , first step , always measure and re-scale the file you use . ALWAYS SCALE BEFORE PRINTING . Especially since mine has random scales on the pieces and was globally scaled for someone my size , so someone fairly small . If your pepakura is too small , blame yourself for not double-checking the scale , not my files ;)

And so it begins , the endless process of cutting pieces on at a time .

I hope i can post regular updates on this one and finish it by December or so , or College will get in the way again .
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:45:47 AM by Centauri-Works »

Offline Centauri-Works

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: + Build Log : Cadian Lieutenant +
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
++ UPDATE ++

So , i've been reading a lot of of " Only War " rule books this Week End to prepare my very first RPG Campaign after our previous DM ditched us in the middle of a " Wrath & Glory " campaign , and damn , got me all pumped to keep working on my Pep :P

All pieces for the chest are now cut

Laid out on my humble working table , ready for the build !

Chest in now roughly 75% finished , some three quarters of the back is still missing . It looks awfully small , so i might have to make two vertical cuts on each side of the chest and add a strip to widen the armour , and enlarge the back in the middle . I'll have to check once the armour is built , i trust my measuring techniques .
The shoulder bridges will have to be cut somewhere in order to allow my head to go through . And it'll be easier for transport too .

Offline Centauri-Works

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: + Build Log : Cadian Lieutenant +
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:46:22 AM »
++ UPDATE 02 ++

Chest in now completely assembled

A cool colleague at my internship place has helped me applying rondo and fiberglass to the inside of the armour , because he has a lot more experience working with those stuff than i have :)
If you're into pepakura and stuff , you know by now what fiberglass is , but if you've never heard of Rondo , well , it's basically a 50/50 mixture of Resin and Bondo .
It's essentially more liquid than Bondo , and more solid that Resin , it sort of self levels when you pour it into a pep model , but don't hesitate to brush it down with acetone to smooth it out .
+ Warning +
Rondo WILL seep out of any hole in your model , bear that in mind .

The back has been reinforced with fiberglass on top of the Rondo , front part will follow

I think the model is still fairly symmetrical , but it has definitely warped a little in some place , which was expected . Never hesitate to reinforce your pepakura model with strips of cardboard in openings and large flat area to avoid warping . And unless you want to waste money and time , make sure you initially build your stuff with cardstock , bare minimum of 250g papers , more if you can . That's why i'm usually printing my patterns in printing shops , they can print on A3 and larger formats and straight on heavier grades of cardstock , while you will just jam your printer attempting to do it , or spend afternoons re-tracing all your patterns on thicker paper .

++ END TRANSMISSION ++

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  + Build Log : Cadian Lieutenant +

gfxgfx
gfx gfx