gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49068 Posts in 2533 Topics by 4694 Members - Latest Member: lasboygrin November 13, 2018, 02:24:32 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Costume Gallery  |  11th Primarch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 11th Primarch  (Read 294 times)

Offline Brother Androx

• Scout
  • :
  • Loyal Son
11th Primarch
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
I decided to reach higher for my second build of power armour.  I looked at makers like @hereseycosplay and Roses & Boltshells for physical build inspiration but left the design to my own creativity.  At first, I was thinking a Chaos Lord, but after the amount of detail I had planned, I decided to call him "The 11th Primarch".  This also allows me to make it however I want, and not subject to canonical errors, or unrequested hardcore fanboy criticism.
The build took about 6 months of on and off work, taking my time and working as I felt the need.  I was able to finish the painting and detail in about 100 hours.  I have no idea of actual time or cost because I didn't keep track.  I do this for fun, and not for profit. 

So without further ado, I present my "The 11th Primarch"

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
Re: 11th Primarch
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »
Very cool looking, I would be interested in hearing about some of the design choices you made, for instance it looks like you have a kind of dual half/half scheme going for much of the armor. Turned out excellent though I think, great job.

Offline Brother Androx

• Scout
  • :
  • Loyal Son
Re: 11th Primarch
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:16 PM »
Very cool looking, I would be interested in hearing about some of the design choices you made, for instance it looks like you have a kind of dual half/half scheme going for much of the armor. Turned out excellent though I think, great job.

Thank you for the compliments.  I had a lot of creative freedom since there is no information about the 11th Primarch.  I wanted something to "wow" the crowd but nothing tacky.  I kept asking myself "what else can I add?"

Just to add to the holy shit factor, there were only 3 things I bought for this costume.  The skeleton on the purple leg (painted gold), the bone spiders on the copper leg (painted and I added lights), and the little black spiders (painted matte black).  Everything else was made from foam or 3D printed.  Yeah...  Lots of drawing and designing and printing.  Roughly 400 skulls (human and dragon), over 700 scales, and 14 packs of EVA foam.  Oh, and the hockey gloves were purchased.  They were bulky and cheap and exactly what I needed, so I only had to seal and paint them. 
I have another post in the forums which have pics of the individual pieces. 

The basis was he was spliced with dragon DNA, but it mutated horribly and caused a split personality and eventually the split colour scheme.  Much like Harvey Dent/Two-Face.  Wings were in the original plan, but time and height was an issue.  In my lore, he was all purple, but the blessings from the Ruinous Powers caused the transformation to dragon scales, and the change to copper.

I chose purple because it's commonly used by royalty, and kept that side fairly "normal".  Standard features and styles etc.  I used a stylized galaxy on the pauldron so it would be different from known chapters.  I also included a mural of the battle between Horus and the Big E as an indicator of his age and timeline.  Same for the Storm Bolter.  Standard equipment for a Termie, I'd link to think. 

The copper side was painted with a verdigris (blue/green) to mimic his age.  Being around for a long time, the copper would have a patina but has been cleaned and polished on the main surfaces.  The leg, chest, arm and pauldron were covered in scales, but as it progresses higher, the scales were starting to "shed".  Much like losing ones hair as they age.  I also added spiders to add to the creepiness. 

The purists might comment that I'm not the right height, but at 8 foot 6 inches, I'm plenty tall.  It is a bugger to walk around, and my movements are slow and planned out.  I would have made the thigh pieces thinner since they rub and the paint and skulls popped off.  Nothing major, but a design flaw I didn't detect ahead of time.  I did get tons of attention at the Ottawa ComicCon, and was able to win Best in Show for Workmanship. 

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Costume Gallery  |  11th Primarch

gfxgfx
gfx gfx