gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48927 Posts in 2516 Topics by 4382 Members - Latest Member: rexrapter1234 May 28, 2018, 01:11:56 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space marine structural support??!?!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Space marine structural support??!?!  (Read 77 times)

Offline devklay

• Initiate
  • :
Space marine structural support??!?!
« on: May 12, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »
So a few years ago I built a full size marine, it was awesome but it was a lumbering beast with zero coordination, tore itself apart, and sucked up energy. I've finally decided to make a Mk. 2 of the suit but this time it will be human size. Anyone have any tips/tricks for the support structure? Last time I use malleable/flimsy aluminum strips and I think that may have contributed to some of the damage?

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
Re: Space marine structural support??!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
I used PEX Pipe, which is a flexible PVC type of pipe that you can find at hardware stores. It worked well in most cases as internal support for my suit. The one issue I had with it is for the arms, they were so small that making bending the PEX that drastically caused it to crimp (bend badly) rather than form a natural curve like it did in other instances. But it's light, holds up well, and flexible so it worked well overall.

Offline devklay

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
Never had any issues breaking down?
Was it a human size?

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
Larger than human, went full Space Marine size at over 7 feet tall while in the armor. And no issues with breakdown, I actually fell in the armor without catching myself and it held together. I popped a few D rings for the harness I have to hold up the legs and messed up the outside of the armor a bit with paint scuffing and cracks but my internal PEX supports held strong.

Offline devklay

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »
Do you have any pics?

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
Attached two pictures that show what I did. The one is the internal support as well as support that holds the torso in place on me, all of it was done with PEX.

The leg picture is when it was all but finished but shows more of the PEX internal support, that you can attach things to it like aluminum bars for the leg joint movement for instance. The lower support is partially covered by the felt I put at the bottom also. 

Offline devklay

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
Great work! Was it just glued to the interior?

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »
Yep, hot glued to the interior. I used PEX fittings for connecting two ends of PEX pipe together, for making sharp 90% turns, or the 3 way fittings for joining different sections together. I discovered the awesomeness of contact cement after I was done most of the construction and I would recommend you go in that direction for the fittings once you're sure about how you want it. (Hot glue you can heat a bit and remove, contact cement is forever) For attaching the PEX to the foam I think hot glue is the better way as it gap fills a bit and there isn't a lot of surface area between the PEX and foam for the contact cement to form a good seal.

If you're interested about my build I have basically all of it up on my tumblr at vonshobbyhabitat

Offline devklay

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »
Awesome thank you

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space marine structural support??!?!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx