gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48979 Posts in 2521 Topics by 4512 Members - Latest Member: 4SakenWelder August 15, 2018, 09:30:20 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  Painting Space marines
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Painting Space marines  (Read 186 times)

Offline Inquisitor Horvath

• Scout
  • :
  • Mutated, heretical, xenos hunter
Painting Space marines
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
I recently got a few squads of marines and would like help on how to paint them. This is my first squad and would like some pointers. Tips and tricks are also appreciated.

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
Re: Painting Space marines
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
First get a good primer, Army Painter, the Privateer Press line (sorry forgetting it's name), or go with GW's if you have the money to splurge for a few extra dollars and the other two aren't available in your area.

The benefit to the GW line is that their primers match their paints, so if for example you are painting up Dark Angels, Blood Angels, or Ultramarines you can buy the GW primer that matches those chapters base color and save yourself a bit of time because it will act as both a primer and base coat. If you don't go this route I *highly* recommend priming in black, unless you are going to be painting marines that will have a very light overall color such as White Scars or Imperial Fists.

Next base coat, whatever color you want their armor to mostly be, paint it on, you don't need to be super careful at this point about where it goes. Once you have the base coat on then you'll want to get to work on the detail work, metal color for exposed metal bits like the bolt gun barrel and clip, decide whether you want black for the joints or maybe making those metal also and so on. Pick out the eye lenses, the colors used here are usually red, blue, or green depending on what looks best with the armor color you chose. Basically take care of all of the detail work.

The final step if you want to be really fancy is edging highlighting, where you get a color a bit of a lighter shade and carefully paint it on the edges of the model where light would strike the armor first. This picks out the edges and makes the model pop a bit.

I would highly recommend checking YouTube or the Warhammer community site for videos because GW has made some *REALLY* good basic painting tutorials for marines.

Also like all things in life this requires practice, even if you are a fairly talented painter on a canvas, painting models is just different enough that there is still a learning curve. You'll look back on the first models you painted after a while and cringe a bit.

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I got the Dark Imperium boxed set so I will probably start on the plague marines. They arent known for being clean or tidy...

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:10:22 AM »
Also, my eyes got strained when I was finished assembling the miniatures. If I get a magnification device of some kind, what magnification would you recommend?

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
Look around a bit as I just grabbed the first couple of items that showed up in my Amazon search but they make magnifiers for working on small electronics that work very well for miniature painting.

Something that sits on the table: https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Magnifier-Alligator-Auxiliary-Magnifying/dp/B016OIWY8C/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515527182&sr=8-8&keywords=electronics+magnifying+glass+with+light

Wearable magnifier: https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifier-Head-mounted-Magnifying-Electronics/dp/B073S5DQXG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1515527182&sr=8-9&keywords=electronics+magnifying+glass+with+light

Desk Mountable magnifier: https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Magnifier-Beautician-Precision-Electronics/dp/B0721519H5/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1515527182&sr=8-11&keywords=electronics+magnifying+glass+with+light

Just make sure you get something with a light built in because you're head will likely be obscuring the light source in whatever room you are in, which will be another problem.

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »
Ok thanks.

Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  Painting Space marines

gfxgfx
gfx gfx