gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49084 Posts in 2534 Topics by 4735 Members - Latest Member: 1ksonspleb December 16, 2018, 03:38:50 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build [In Progress]
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build [In Progress]  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Brother Barachiel

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build [In Progress]
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
Greeting fellow Battle Brothers and Sisters of Battle.

This will be my Obscurus Crusade Build Log for Brother Barachiel of the Deathwing. (Terminator Armour) from the game Spacehulk Deathwing.

As i am about 90% complete already i will gather all my photos, notes, drawings and start the thread from day 1 of the build and fill the log from a-z including pictures, thoughts and modifications made.

Build will include a Powerfist and both an Assualt Cannon and Plasma Cannon

I will include some reference photos for the build on this post and an updated photo of my current progress.
I also post about the build on Instagram under hereseycosplay and also post some photos on the Obscurus Crusade facebook group.

Build Admin
Templates - Ex1le's Standard Terminator Armor - Foam
Powerfist Template - Gary Sterley Powerfist (Etsy)
Dark Angels 3D Models - (PM me and ill happily share them)

Current Progress Photos: 24 Dec 17

Brother Barachiel Reference Photos

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:29:50 AM by Brother Barachiel »

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
  • Fighting the Black Rage
Re: Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »
That's some good looking armour dude.

Cant wait to see more progress!!!!!!!

Did you adjust scale at all?
Treat us with honour, Brothers. Not because we will bring you victory this day, but because our fate will one day be yours...

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
That's some good looking armour dude.

Cant wait to see more progress!!!!!!!

Did you adjust scale at all?

Cheers =)

Ill start updating this build log today and tomorrow with everything.

Nope i printed directly from the file without any adjustments. If i was too do this again i would definitely up scale the torso.

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build [In Progress]
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
Build Log Update 1: Boots (2015)

Ill preface this, as this is my first Warhammer 40K Build and my first Cosplay Build, i made a lot of poor decisions with this costume, one being using hot glue. After i found contact cement the build time and overall cleanliness of the costume has improved.

As most people start first thing i constructed was the boots. I printed out the templates and went for it. In the beginning i started using a scapel.. took me ages.. before i found a box cutter.

Here is a taped up test photo. In the background you will see my MK1 stilts. I ended up ditching these due to weight and went with a foam insert ( i will update you on this further on this build log.

Here is it all glued together.

Points/Thoughts
-At this point i had not decided on the overall build direction. As the Ex1le pattern is based of the Indomitus Pattern Armour i had too make adjustments once i had decided too do Brother Barachiel. Recently ive cut the toe cover too be flat too match the reference photos.
-If i was going too do this again i would try too make it so the top cap moved inside the ankle cover as i walk.
-Scale was not adjusted. It was printed direct from Pepakura on A4 Paper.
- EVA 75 foam is what i used, again i would use a higher density if possible maybe 200 or 275.

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »
Build Log Update 2: Shins (2015 and 2017)

Shin Armour, i forgot too take photos, but i printed out the templates on A4 and traced them on the foam and cut them out and glued them with hot glue. At this point i had made 1 shin end of 2015 and the second one didn't get started to Jan 17.

This is the first shin i did. At this point i hadn't printed the Knee Joint bolts. But i can tell you.. dont do them. They are too big and make walking annoying. I would make your own based of reference photos and make them slim line(Will show you what i did when i encounter this issue.)

Shins 2 completed Jan 17 and here are a few pictures of them.

DO NOT DO WHAT I DID... DO NOT SEAL YOUR SEAMS UNTIL YOUR FINISHED YOUR ENTIRE BUILD.. unless your entirely confident with your piece of armour... i preemptively did my boots and it has caused me so many issues.

Points/Thoughts
- When tracing the shin pattern, i found that the whole template is a lot of straight edges. I found if i traced the pattern and made the cuts smoother and rounded instead of multiple small cuts, it made for a cleaner piece and cut down on sanding.
- As said try not too seal seams before your finished.
- I would heat form your shin makes it easier too glue it together,
- If i was too do the shins again id make sure too slow down and id reduce the number of cuts. I wouldnt get into the strap of trying too cut along the patterna nd keep the pattern more rounded.

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »
Build Log Update 3: Thighs (Feb 17)

Next part i did was the thigh section. If i did these again i would most definitely be doing it with Contact Cement.

Too assist with getting the edges too bend around on the internal plating i made a small 4mm incision on the back edge and heat formed them around being careful not too snap the foam. In the edges where she tore a bit more than i wanted i filled the space with hot glue or sandable caulk.

Below are the templates and various section of construction.

Make sure when you make these you flip the pattern and dont do what i did and make two left thighs and have too remake it.

Points/Thoughts
- Template is pretty straight foward, Something the template is missing is a cap on the top and bottom too cover the internals. I traced around the edge and made a cap of them using 6mm foam. Adds some support and make the top and bottom look clean. (Will add photos of these later on)
- Again Dont follow the template and make short cuts, keep them clean and fluid and round everything off.

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »
Build Log Update 4: Pelvis (Part 1)

Next up is the Pelvis. For this log ill talk about the bottom half.

Quite straight foward, again id would encourage you too round off the template when cutting it out instead of it being all blocky.

Templating of the pelvis

In progress construction

Points/Thoughts
- Only real sticking point is the back section. Some of the cuts and folds can be quite tricky too get into position.

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:11 AM »
Build Log Update 5: Pelvis (Part 2)

Top part of the pelvis. This involved gluing the groin section to the waist band and attaching the belt band. Also i attached the rear enclosure and what i believe are like hydraulic valves on the back. Whilst the template is good i did have too add another layer on top of the waist/stomach band as the torso section doesnt cover correctly. Also unsure if it was just the thickness of the foam or my bad gluing skill but i had too have add additional band on the inside to the stomach band too fit in the pelvis.

I adjusted the Belt Buckle recently too a circle from the rectangle one, which will be reflected in upcoming logs.

Next photo is where i was at after all of it. Note at this stage i hadn't added the additional band.

Points/Thoughts
- I believe my issue was my templates were off because of the A4 and Letter paper sizes which put of the waist band.
- The additional band on top of the stomach band will be needed to give you some leeway with the torso section.
- The hydraulic points the back of the pelvis probably should be glued on later in the build so avoid having too change the height of them if the scale is slightly off.

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
Build Log Update 6: Torso Part 1

Torso was really fun too build! I will say however i think this needs to be scaled up just too give you a bit more room.

This 100% needs too have modifications too the arm holes. They are way too small and very uncomfortable. I cut a significant portion away from the side panels and i still will probably remove a little more.

If your planning on making a terminator armor that isnt Indomitus Pattern adjust the template on paper first and dont do what i did and not check it and be all the way through cosmetic upgrades before realizing you messed up the back vents.

I also suggest with support parts of the pattern that run along the bottom edges you actually cut them into small chunks along the "fold lines and glue them edge to edge, makes the whole process less emotional.

Points/Thoughts
-

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:52:04 AM »
Build Log Update 6: Torso Part 1

Photo Dump of further Torso Progress

Here is me test wearing it

Offline pattonwty

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:07 AM »
Great work!!!

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 05:11:50 AM »
Build Log Update 7: Shoulders (Basic Construction)

Shoulders went together really fast. Only thing i would do different next time is increase the size of the middle section that runs along the bottom edge. Its only about 10cm long id prefer it too be about 15 -20cm long too match the other patterns, but for the Indomitus Pattern it spot on.

All the cosmetic stuff for my shoulders will be in another log.

Ill have too do another log for the Shoulder attachment as i am currently modifying it.

Points/Thoughts
-

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 05:12:21 AM »

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 05:21:53 AM »
Build Log Update 8: Shoulder Pins

Here is the photos of what i have done for the shoulder mounting. Its simply just a bolt (Will remove thread) locked onto a small bit of aluminum flat bar. Inside the shoulder i have glued a piece of 50mm x 50mm foam block. I cut out a 50mm x 50mm square of the underside shoulder pad and glued the cube into the gap. I then drilled a hole through the middle of the cube and then glued a metal washer over the whole. Its quite crude but allows for easy removal of the shoulder. Obvious downside is it has little foward and back movement. I may revisit this before i go paint phase too allow some more movement (Ball and Socket joint most likely)

Points/Thoughts
- Need to revist the Shoulder mounting.
- Photos of the Underside of the shoulder pad

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 05:25:35 AM »
Build Log Update 9: Progress Photos as at March/April 2017

Here is a photo of where i was at March April 2017.

Points/Thoughts
-

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Spacehulk Deathwing Brother Barachiel Build [In Progress]

gfxgfx
gfx gfx