gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48493 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3777 Members - Latest Member: petpet666 March 28, 2017, 06:09:39 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  TurboGuy's Terminator Chaplain Build/Question/Help Thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: TurboGuy's Terminator Chaplain Build/Question/Help Thread  (Read 168 times)

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
TurboGuy's Terminator Chaplain Build/Question/Help Thread
« on: March 05, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
A bit of an Introduction to begin with I guess, my name's Dean/TurboGuy, from Melbourne Australia. I've been lurking (for the most part) for the last few years absorbing information and perving on all the absolutely excellent cosplays being crafted here, and have decided that it's time to construct my own set of armour.

I built a regular Space Marine helmet a few years ago and it turned out okay, and being (usually) the most complex piece of the set, it reassured me that the rest of the armour should be fairly easy by comparison.

Anywho, last week my girlfriend told me she bought us tickets to the Supanova Convention in Melbourne at the end of April, and seeing as I always said told myself I wanted to go a Con I SM armour I figured I'd make this the one... Which means it'll be a bit of a speed build.

That being said, I've also chosen to step it up a notch and instead of building a mk7 or mk8 pattern, imma roll with a Terminator chassis instead.

My inspiration is the Terminator Chaplain mini, so my proportions should more or less mirror or be similar to it upon final construction.

Here is my progress so far:

The cuts could be a little cleaner but eh, I'll sad them down later. I'll be following the Salamander seams tute for my final surface prep I reckon. It's only a torso for now but I spent a bit of time getting the scale right in Pepakura.

So I guess my first question is: I want to reinforce/harden the inside of the armour with resin or epoxy, what has everybody else used?

My next question is, how have people rigged the interiors of their suits? What kind of harness systems have been employed in the past? I'd love to take some inspiration from other people's builds but a lot of the image links through the forum are broken for me :(

Peace Through Superior Firepower

Offline vonjankmon

• Initiate
  • :
Re: TurboGuy's Terminator Chaplain Build/Question/Help Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
Instead of using an epoxy or resin on the inside I would recommend building an internal frame work out of flexible pipe. It's called PEX over here in the US, not sure if it has the same name over there. You can buy it at hardware stores and it's a plastic pipe like PVC but much more flexible. It works great to act as an internal support for your armor and isn't as much time/effort/money as resin or epoxy on the scale you'd have to do it for armor builds.

For my SM suit I used a tactical harness/tactical suspenders. You can buy D rings that attach using the molle system on the harnesses. I bought straps that you can cut to the length you want to attach everything, they're made out of polypropylene, so once you cut them to the length you want just use a lighter to melt the end to stop it from unraveling.

Harness I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSNLBWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll be interested to watch your build, if I ever become insane enough to do another large foam build I've always thought about doing a terminator.

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »
Instead of using an epoxy or resin on the inside I would recommend building an internal frame work out of flexible pipe. It's called PEX over here in the US, not sure if it has the same name over there. You can buy it at hardware stores and it's a plastic pipe like PVC but much more flexible. It works great to act as an internal support for your armor and isn't as much time/effort/money as resin or epoxy on the scale you'd have to do it for armor builds.

For my SM suit I used a tactical harness/tactical suspenders. You can buy D rings that attach using the molle system on the harnesses. I bought straps that you can cut to the length you want to attach everything, they're made out of polypropylene, so once you cut them to the length you want just use a lighter to melt the end to stop it from unraveling.

Harness I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSNLBWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll be interested to watch your build, if I ever become insane enough to do another large foam build I've always thought about doing a terminator.
Thanks man! I was also looking at molle system vests etc due to their flexibility and customisation potential, the trouble is getting one in time without breaking the bank haha. AliExpress has been my go to for cheap build materials, I've bought a few things but I'm still waiting to see how long shipping takes. Molle/tac vests for like $15AUD though, wouldn't mind paying for some express post on top of that.

I dunno about PVC framing, I might have look into it though. I was however thinking of using foam pool noodles as internal supports. They're cheap and light and offer a good degree of flexibility and rigidity, I just have to see how they interact with the glue I'm using.

Is it common to double up layer of foam on things like leg pieces etc due to being  knocked and such?

Offline vonjankmon

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:19:56 AM »
I didn't double up foam anywhere and while I am not 100% done with my suit so it hasn't seen a full day on the convention floor yet it seems really durable and I currently don't have any concern with how it will hold up.

If you are worried a bit about durability you might want to consider giving your armor a coat or two of Mod Podge. It will cover some minor imperfections and give your armor a slightly tougher coating on the outside. It helps a bit with making the armor a bit more rigid too.

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »
I didn't double up foam anywhere and while I am not 100% done with my suit so it hasn't seen a full day on the convention floor yet it seems really durable and I currently don't have any concern with how it will hold up.

If you are worried a bit about durability you might want to consider giving your armor a coat or two of Mod Podge. It will cover some minor imperfections and give your armor a slightly tougher coating on the outside. It helps a bit with making the armor a bit more rigid too.
I'm pretty sure mod podge is just watered down PVA glue yeah? Definitely plan on giving it a few coats of that!

Ordered a molle vest last night too, just gotta figure out where to put my anchor points for strapping etc inside the torso

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
Not a big update today, but I've been working on the helmet. I decided on implementing a sleeker, tighter fitting design to the usual SM helmet pep, mostly due to size constraints when in the torso hood thingo. I whipped up a quick model then imported it to Pepakura, and this is the result:

It's a three piece design, the chin piece is detachable for a quick secure fit, and faceplate is detachable so I can yank it for some fresh air while bootin' around cons. The faceplate itself isn't done yet because I had to modify the main helmet for a closer fit during construction, so the existing pep won't fit. I'll have to draw one up by hand which shouldn't be too hard, just a pain in the bum lol.

In other news, the torso I have may end up being scrapped in favour of a pep set by pepmaster that I found online. It's already optimised for foam so even though starting again will put me behind schedule, it should require much less messing around than the peps I was working off previously.

Anywho that's about it for now, hopefully more progress in the coming week or two :)

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »
Ehhh another quick one before I head of to work for the night. Finished the faceplate. The structure is a bit weird but I'm waiting on a cheapo skull mask from AliExpress to arrive so I can stick it over the top, after cutting some suitable peep holes.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  TurboGuy's Terminator Chaplain Build/Question/Help Thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx