gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48536 Posts in 2480 Topics by 3981 Members - Latest Member: Mr_TopHatPenguin July 23, 2017, 04:42:37 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Eidolons Light Power Maul
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Eidolons Light Power Maul  (Read 379 times)

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
Eidolons Light Power Maul
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
I wanted a different set of weapons for my costume and I decided to take a melee approach and build a Storm Shield and Power Maul.  I've posted the shield already so now it's time for the maul. 
I'm my own worst critic so I'm not 100% happy with the turnout but for my first try, I shouldn't complain. 

It started with a 4ft dowel, 1&1/4 inch thick.  I glued 2 mats together to get the thickness I wanted.  My suit is a 935 so it had to be a big weapon.  And it's 40k... Everything is over the top! 
I went through a few paper designs until I came up with this one.  I didn't want sharp and pointy so I stuck with traditional designs. 

Once the glue was set I traced the shape on the foam and started cutting.  I was blessed with a scroll saw from my brother-in-law and it made cutting a breeze.  Using a high TPI blade made short work of the foam and kept a clean edge.  Not as clean as an Olfa knife, but damn near.  Once they were cut, I sectioned off the dowel and hot glued the sections on.  I was going to use 4 but I liked the look of 6; and using 6 filled the whole space.  Originally the paint was bright aluminium but it looked odd so I changed it to a dark grey.  I won't go through the amount of paint scheme changes but there were many.  I had attempted the burning embers style by Emily but there wasn't enough space on the edge for it, so I settled for some red/yellow/white drybrushing. 

The middle part of the dowel was painted in a metallic gold for no reason other than to have it stand out.  The grip was done with strips of craft foam and painted a combination of black and brown.  I kept it extra long so I could use it two-handed, and I didn't want to cut it too short and end up looking funny.  The little studs are push pins from the Dollarama.

When it was done, I felt there was something missing, so I googled again and decided to add some futuristic bits.  I made a half cylinder and glued it to the side with some hoses coming out and into the maul head. 

It's not as heavy as I expected but I'm thinking I'll be sore after carrying it around for hours. 

Offline doomfist

• Tech Priest of the Cheapus Mechanicus
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • deviantart.com/
Re: Eidolons Light Power Maul
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
Nice work, very beefy looking. 
Suffer not the glue gun to burn

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
Re: Eidolons Light Power Maul
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »
I wasn't happy with the end result so I've gone back to plain metallic paint and I would love some input for paint schemes/details. 

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Eidolons Light Power Maul

gfxgfx
gfx gfx