gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48494 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3780 Members - Latest Member: moloch March 29, 2017, 01:01:53 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  Sources for Foam?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sources for Foam?  (Read 179 times)

Offline ThoraniosX

• Initiate
  • :
Sources for Foam?
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the whole "40k cosplay armor" thing, but definitely not new to costuming (Mandalorian Mercs, 501st, various Marvel/DC/anime heroes). That said, I've worked in various materials (sintra, aluminum, plastics, steel, cloth, foam), but have never had to source material for a costume as large as a Space Marine. I've built items (and much  more often, built items for friends) out of the EVA foam flooring tiles, but never really bothered to source an alternative since I didn't need the larger sizes.

With that in mind, where is the go-to (read: cheapest or best) place to get large sheets of EVA foam?, preferably 12mm thickness.

Thank you ahead of time, and if anyone has any pointers, feel free to go ahead and include them!

Offline Tiberius

• Initiate
  • :
  • Warsmith
Re: Sources for Foam?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:57:25 AM »
You can get EVA Foam for cheap on Amazon (20$ for a 6-pack of 60cmx60cm mats)
From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!

Offline doomfist

• Tech Priest of the Cheapus Mechanicus
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
These guys are good too.  24" x 60" Eva foam sheets that are blank on both sides.  Up to 10mm thick.  I've ordered from there multiple times.

http://tntcosplaysupply.com/store/c2/EVA_Foam.html
Suffer not the glue gun to burn

Offline ThoraniosX

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
You can get EVA Foam for cheap on Amazon (20$ for a 6-pack of 60cmx60cm mats)

I was actually trying to avoid the typical flooring tile pieces due to the size of template pieces. This way I can avoid as many seams as possible.
These guys are good too.  24" x 60" Eva foam sheets that are blank on both sides.  Up to 10mm thick.  I've ordered from there multiple times.

http://tntcosplaysupply.com/store/c2/EVA_Foam.html

I had actually saw these guys before, but was hoping to get 12mm thick sheets. I know 2mm isn't that far off, but the thickness would help.

Any opinions on 10mm vs 12mm?

Offline doomfist

• Tech Priest of the Cheapus Mechanicus
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »
10 mm is as thick as I have ever used.  It's what used for my Pauldrons and chest pieces, otherwise the regular 8mm floor mat foam works for almost everything (for me at least).  I've used 12-15mm foam board to frame the inside of my Pauldrons because the 1/4 and 5/16th tubing I tried eventually bowed out the foam and mishaped it.     
Suffer not the glue gun to burn

Offline Bowfanny

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
Walmart sells the 48"x72" rolls one side textured one side smooth in their workout equipment isle

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  Sources for Foam?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx