gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48492 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3774 Members - Latest Member: TruckerGeek March 26, 2017, 10:52:20 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Pauldrons (not the normal question)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pauldrons (not the normal question)  (Read 375 times)

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
Pauldrons (not the normal question)
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
Hey all, has anyone tried attaching their pauldrons directly to the arms instead of the chest? 

When I built my SM, I saw tons of ideas like straps, custom joints, speaker stands etc...   But a lot of the fan art, and even the models look like they're attached at the arm. 

If anyone has had success, please post pictures. 

Thanks!!

Offline Tiberius

• Initiate
  • :
  • Warsmith
Re: Pauldrons (not the normal question)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Wouldn't work in real life because nobody (except some powerlifters) has a torso and shoulders as wide as a Space Marine. You could try it but you would not be able to move your ams much because your shoulders are inside the torso.
From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
Guess we should all start bodybuilding then hahah. At least we'd look the part without armour

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Peace Through Superior Firepower

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »
Wouldn't work in real life because nobody (except some powerlifters) has a torso and shoulders as wide as a Space Marine. You could try it but you would not be able to move your ams much because your shoulders are inside the torso.

I'll have to give it a shot and post the results.  I did a dry run before I posted my question and I think it can work. 

Offline ViolentDream

• Marine
  • :
  • Grey Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:32 PM »
pauldrons on the arms sounds like a lot of weight for the wearer's arms and shoulders and also limited movement for the arms but too much movement for the shoulders, especially when you're moving the arms outwards.
Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind.

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
What about some kind of system to manuever the pauldrons out of the way when raising your arms? I haven't built a suit yet but I'm also playing with the idea of an arm mounted pauldron system that gives a little more flexibility

Offline ViolentDream

• Marine
  • :
  • Grey Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 02:45:08 AM »
the pauldron mounts I made are from LCD monitor brackets...

you can loosen the screws to give you allowance for movement, depends how loose you want the movement of the pauldrons.

But anyway, given if your pauldrons and arms are light enough and you just secure the insides of the arm length tightly to your arms, I do think it's worth a try. You can always separate them (the pauldron and the arm) if you find that the setup is too restricting. ;)
Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind.

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »
pauldrons on the arms sounds like a lot of weight for the wearer's arms and shoulders and also limited movement for the arms but too much movement for the shoulders, especially when you're moving the arms outwards.

I don't think that weight is the big issue, but mobility will be a killer.  I recall seeing someone use a castor for their pauldrons and I started to think of a ball and joint like a human hip. 

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:58:30 AM »
What about some kind of system to manuever the pauldrons out of the way when raising your arms? I haven't built a suit yet but I'm also playing with the idea of an arm mounted pauldron system that gives a little more flexibility

I remember Ronan's solution was much like that, but seemed like a complicated build.  I was hoping to simplify the whole idea. 

Offline TurboGuy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Lurkin' til the build
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »
I was thinking of attaching my pauldrons directly to my shoulder/bicep armour and having a sort of hinge mechanism that moved it down when the wearer raised their arm, with a spring return to reposition it when the arms were lowered again.

When I get around to finally building something I'll prototype it, but I'm fairly confident it'll work as long as the pauldrons aren't too heavy

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:35 AM »
At some point you will need to connect the arms to the torso or to some kind of undergarment.  The arms will have enough mass to start drawing themselves down.

personally I think you are better off attaching them to the torso.  I have gone with a universal joint I made out of pvc pipes (see White Scars Build) that attaches to the torso.  It's quite a light setup.  The Pvc pipe joint might also work for what you are thinking of doing. Anything made of metal I think would be way too heavy. 

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
At some point you will need to connect the arms to the torso or to some kind of undergarment.  The arms will have enough mass to start drawing themselves down.

personally I think you are better off attaching them to the torso.  I have gone with a universal joint I made out of pvc pipes (see White Scars Build) that attaches to the torso.  It's quite a light setup.  The Pvc pipe joint might also work for what you are thinking of doing. Anything made of metal I think would be way too heavy.

I've been watching your build with much anticipation.  I'd love to see an animation/video of the joint in action. 
Both my pauldrons and arms are attached to the shoulders using luggage buckles.  One buckle for each piece.  Helps with storage and travelling. 

However, build #2 will have the arms attached to a harness I'll wear so the weight is on me and not the costume. 

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:34:04 AM »
Once I have attached the arms to the torso (luggage straps) I will make a video.  That's a few weeks away.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Pauldrons (not the normal question)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx