Good evening ! (First of all, I'm sorry for my terrible English)
Two days ago I started working on my Baharroth cosplay, and I thought it could interest people willing to build a Swooping Hawk or an Autarch, so here is my progress !
I started with the wings, since they would determine the shape of the shoulder plates and breastplate. I found a reference for the different wings available for the minis, including the ones I needed.
I cropped the picture, and imported the wings in GIMP. The quality was really bad, so I kept the reference picture as a layer and traced the shape on another layer. I then printed my pattern to scale one on several A4 sheets (I determined the size of the wings from my own height with a rule of three). I obtained this ridiculously huge piece of paper.
The "feathers" looked like crap at this point, but I didn't really care since I just needed the rough shape to begin with. I re-cut them a bit afterwards, and they now look like this.
I then created a frame for the wings. I used multilayer pipe: it's cheaper than aluminium, and unlike PVC you don't need a heatgun to shape it. I used this material for my two previous pairs of wings and it worked, so...
I then gave my pipes the right shape using my pattern (twice, since they are two wings), and screwed them both to a piece of MDF. I haven't made the harness yet, so it's attached with crappy straps on the picture below.
I might have to re-cut the MDF piece, it's a bit too large for my back. This will be the base for all the "feathers", which will be made out of EVA foam. I already cut a few of them. Each one will be sanded and carved (with a woodburning tool) before I can put them on the main frame. I need 114 wings. This might take forever.
Here are a few "feathers", just cut from foam.
That's all for the moment, but they'll be more...soon.