gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49050 Posts in 2530 Topics by 4628 Members - Latest Member: balfor17 October 18, 2018, 07:09:24 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space Marine Armour - disproportionate limb length
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Space Marine Armour - disproportionate limb length  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
  • Professional Photographer
Space Marine Armour - disproportionate limb length
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:18:46 AM »
So, I'm just starting a space marine build with one of the taller scales. I have a question about stilts. How do you overcome the lower leg looking disproportionate to the upper leg as far as length is concerned? I mean you can give the appearance of a longer lower leg with stilts but your knee and upper leg will always be the same length?

Offline drakmar

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Space Marine Armour - disproportionate limb length
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
I think this is a challenge.  I think if you place your legs right in the armour you can minimise it.

I'm lucky in that I am 6'2".  So I have less distance to cover.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
  • Professional Photographer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
Yeh I'm 6'2" as well. It is a challenge, it doesn't matter where you put your legs your knee will always be. A fixed point on a leg. I think I'll try and use minimal stilt/thick soles.

Offline Kenneth__Creates

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »
I've seen two solutions to this problem:

1) Arm extensions
2) Power fist

Thorssoli used arm extentions for his build. Basically, he built a set of hands which were on the ends of grips.  One of which would have the weapon glued in place, while the other would be able to move freely from the weapon. Unfortunately, hands like these were mono-pose.

Sylgian and Pilerud both used a powerfist on one side. Their 'fists had articulated fingers as well.  While these look great they only solved the problem on one side, but honestly it didn't look that bad. Also, they only built at seven feet tall which helped.

Also, there is a imperial fist terminator that doesn't use either (He wields a thunderhammer), and it's only really noticeable from certain angles.

I'm planning on building at seven feet and making a storm shield with an offset handle to hide the shorter arm.  I'm hoping that a nice power sword will distract from the arm on the exposed side.

Offline B'rel_Knight

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:25:59 AM »
I'm short 5'5" so I know I wouldn't do well the way most people make the marines, so in my suit my feet are at my almost armor's knees and my knees are almost in the groin. Basically I juat bend my foot more to make the knee bend when walking, there's also a support in the thigh to force to move with my shin instead of my thigh, my knees bend in the thigh/groin area where there is plenty of room, just don't ask me to run in it. My hands end at my arms elbows and I plan to have extended hands that control my gloves. There will be super powerful magnets in the gloves that will link to my bolt pistol and chainsword magnets. I bend my wrists to make my elbows bend and my whole arm to make the biceps move.

Offline doomfist

• Tech Priest of the Cheapus Mechanicus
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
I'm experimenting with shortening the bottom edge of the pauldrons by 2-3 inches, this appears to make the arms look a little longer. 
Suffer not the glue gun to burn

Offline Metaxa

• Initiate
  • :
  • Old Wolf
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
Cutting the pauldrons down helps. Sylgian cut like 4 inches off their height and I followed his example. I wish I'd cut the depth as well, but it was too late. I also put mine fairly high like I've seen on some of the minis.
We are the Wolves. We are the Emperor's executioners.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space Marine Armour - disproportionate limb length

gfxgfx
gfx gfx