gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48439 Posts in 2466 Topics by 3829 Members - Latest Member: Baulthral April 29, 2017, 03:19:45 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Scratch-built space marine armor - any advice?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Scratch-built space marine armor - any advice?  (Read 794 times)

Offline Takanuva

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • My blog
Scratch-built space marine armor - any advice?
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:05:33 AM »
Hey guys, I was brought here from Reddit. I'm planning on scratch-building a set of space marine armor, likely similar to a mark IV variant set. At my disposal, I have a medium sized trash can, 4-5 plastic cups from Lego, several of which I plan to make the forearms from, and about 10 sheets of craft foam armor. I know I'm probably a heretic for this, but I'm wanting to make a Legend of Zelda themed set, in green and gold, with the crest of the Hyrulian Royal Family and the Tri-Force adorned all over it.

And admittedly, I want to make a space-marine power metal band, and want to see whether it's even possible to play in costume, albeit with a few modifications and adjustments. Likely I'll have to tone down the backpack, shoulders, legs, and chest piece, to make comfortably wearing this at human scale possible. So to keep the GW lawsuits and whatever at bay as far as the band thing goes, I'm wanting to scratch build it to look a bit more original, and not like it's scraped straight from the comics and games.

Any advice for scratchbuilding, and working with foam? I also have some ivory colored fake leather I'm planning on using for the gloves and neck seal, and can probably get a bit more.

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
Re: Scratch-built space marine armor - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »
This sounds great :)

I strongly suggest that you take some time to review a page or three of build threads in the Space Marine subforum, there is a ton of information there that will help you.

If you are still stymied after seeing what other folks have done and learned, ask again :) We are all happy to help.

Offline Takanuva

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:28:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice Lamia. I've read some build threads, looked at some reference pics, and started building the first gauntlet tonight. I'm making templates of all the parts, to make identical parts for the other half of my body, and am going to scan them and post them here, for other people wanting to scratch build to look at. Obviously since this is scratch built, I'm going to use a bit of artistic liberty, mostly due to tool/material limits. I'm making this to scale for my body, me being 5'4.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:17:42 PM by Takanuva »

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:52:56 AM »
This sounds great :)

I strongly suggest that you take some time to review a page or three of build threads in the Space Marine subforum, there is a ton of information there that will help you.

If you are still stymied after seeing what other folks have done and learned, ask again :) We are all happy to help.

I second this!!  Read, read, and read more.  If you're not doing a pattern build you have more creative freedom to build as you want. 

As for working with foam, get a good quality knife (Olfa), contact cement for gluing, and let yourself make mistakes.  I don't think any of us made it right the first time :)

Offline FatherDamien

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
I built my armor human scale. I'm 5'9" about 145-150 lbs.

I used the pepakura files and played with the scale of each piece until I found a size that worked for me.

I also tweaked some pieces as I built. Sometimes for appearance other times for functionality.

Basically I used the pep files as a guide and free handed whenever I felt the need. For my first ever cos play I don't think it turned out too bad.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »
I did a scratch built scout some time ago.  A slightly different armour set, but you might get a few ideas:
http://www.obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=747.msg16806#msg16806

Offline Takanuva

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:43:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm still working on it, though I've hit a material bottleneck - and the need to clean my house for my sister's wedding shower. I finished a second gauntlet, and I've started cutting some pieces for the chest plate, kneepads, and probably a few bits of greeblies. I will say the chest plate accuracy isn't too great though - I'm adapting it from a previous attempt at scratch-building Halo armor.

I'm still working on templates to flesh it out, and fill in the rest of it. How's my foamwork so far?

In the meantime, I'm pepping a suit of Halo armor.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:14:53 AM »
I would suggest two things.  Get a whetstone (or even some sandpaper) to keep you blades sharp.  I also sometimes use my wife's tupperware knife sharpener.  It helps make cleaner cuts.  Sometime a gentle sawing motion also can help.  I would suggest you experiment with how you are cutting.

Also consider beveling the edges (ie where you can, cut two 45 degree angles to join rather than butting against a 90 degree).  This can sometimes help you to hide a join.

If you look through my White Scars Build thread I have been fairly prolific with my photos and most a fairly hi res.  I also comment and link to others that I have found really helpful.

Offline Takanuva

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I just got a new x-acto, with sharper blades. I'm gonna be cleaning up cuts tonight and getting a bit more work done tomorrow, I have a few templates and pieces for the chest done. I just need to make more and glue. I also got a soldering iron so I can carve details into the foam for more greeblies.

Offline Takanuva

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
Is double posting allowed? I have an update for my build - I did some clean up work on the seams of my gauntlets and chest armor (it's crazy to feel how smooth a sharp knife actually is!), did a bit more work on the chest piece, and I sketched up some designs that I melted into the foam with my soldering iron.

Here's the new chest piece update. Sorry about the dutch tilt, I was trying to capture the correct orientation as to how I will wear it. I used my knife and cut and smoothed out the seams, though I still have a tiny bit of clean up work on the front still. I have a good 4 or 5 months until PHX Comicon, so I should be okay on a build this small.

Underside view of the gauntlets. I added some detailing, though it's not too fleshed out yet. These things are almost done aside from some sealant and paint.

This is the detailing I did with a soldering iron. I don't think I did too well, but it looks okay for the most part. I'll probably add some brimming from some of the super thin foam sheets I have.

I also have some cream colored pleather I plan to use for making components such as the neck seal and gaps between some of the components. This should go well with the gold and green scheme I'm planning, it should also match the guitar I custom painted.

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
This is the detailing I did with a soldering iron. I don't think I did too well, but it looks okay for the most part. I'll probably add some brimming from some of the super thin foam sheets I have.

I also did some of the initial details with the soldering iron and as you'll see in the photo, it just doesn't work.  My suggestion is to cut the details with your knife and open them with a heat gun.  Way cleaner, and better control of where the details go.

As for the knife, I use a heavy duty Olfa with the black blades.  They are seriously sharp. 

Offline Takanuva

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 01:13:31 AM »

I just finished gluing the chest piece together, here's a posed shot for my future space marine power metal band  :). It's going to be the backpack, and I'll have to build out the details and make it a bit larger. I'm gonna have to keep a bit of originality to this scrap build, I wouldn't want to get shut down by GW for copyright infringement, if that's still a thing for music. They are pretty anal retentive. And also because I need some flexibility, I can still play guitar unhindered in this costume. 

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Scratch-built space marine armor - any advice?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx