gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48439 Posts in 2466 Topics by 3829 Members - Latest Member: Baulthral April 30, 2017, 07:00:59 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Vostroyan Firstborn soldier (with pictures!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vostroyan Firstborn soldier (with pictures!)  (Read 1924 times)

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
Vostroyan Firstborn soldier (with pictures!)
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
Hello everybody and glory to the Emperor, of course. After carefully stalking through all pages of Imperial Guard costuming I noticed that there are only 2 threads about Vostroyan costumes and they are more about asking questions than making an actual costume (no offense intended). Well, since the V guys are one of my favourite regiments (judging by their looks) I am building a costume right now! Here is the progress:
1. The weapon.
It doesn't matter what costume I'm making - the weapon is always built first. Why? Because if I ever have second thoughts while having about 50% of the costume made I look at the weapon and say "I'm going to use this beauty with a matching set. Period". So here it is, step by step, including some mistakes and improvements I made:

Rifle is made from cardboard filled with expanding foam and layered with fiberglass.

Me for scale. Don't worry, the costume will have a mask. This face will not, I repeat, WILL NOT be exposed in public.

With my Armat Pulse Rifle (1:1, trust me, I took measuerments) for scale.

I had to redo the stock, so here is how I made it. It was attached to the rest of the rifle with some wire, fiberglass and bondo.
2. The mask
A prototype mask, to be precise.

I figured out that I'll make a copy of this one:

It will be probably cast in resin or welded from 1mm steel.
I intend to finish the rifle before the end of the month (painting included) and start making the armour, so... witness me!
C&C welcome. Tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:57:46 AM by brat_Klont »

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
Re: Vostroyan Firstborn soldier - now making rifle (with pictures!)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »
I really like the way the mask looks.

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:57:41 PM »
As promised I finished the rifle... well, almost. All is left to do is the trigger itself, small wooden plate under the clip and abut an hour of sanding. But otherwise it's ready for paintjob! I added some details, reinforced the stock (it broke in the middle of sanding process), added more details, sanded it. Since I'm a terrible painter (despite about 3 years of painting Warhammer miniatures and being kinda "OK" painter) all elements of my costume will be painted by my talented friend.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:57:58 AM by brat_Klont »

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
Update time. I managed to create armor out of fiberglass and cardboard.

Also, a friend of mine helped me with the fur cap. Mask requiers paint and the headgear will be finished.

Next: leg armor and armored skirt.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:58:07 AM by brat_Klont »

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
Re: Vostroyan Firstborn soldier (with pictures!)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 06:54:41 AM »
Meanwhile I finished another detail: detachable bayonet. I used magnets to hold it in place. It can be removed and attached easily and the magnets support it's weight, so I don't have to worry about it falling off in least expected moment. Any agressive, fast moves are off limit though. Magnets are not that strong.

Blade is temporary, I needed it only to check the lenght and look of the bayonet.

Aaand that's all so far, I', still working on the armour. Hope I'll show fnished (-paintjob) piece before december.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »
Nice work.  The mask looks awesome (and reminds me of Steve from Borderlands - Heyo).

The rifle is coming along nicely too.  The shape of the stock really confuses me.  Is that how they are in the source material?

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:29:07 AM »
I tried to design the rifle to be as close to the miniatures as possible - the shape of the stock was inspired by old metal Vostroyan models. I changed it a bit so it would fit under my armpit, maybe that's the reason why it looks a little bit different :D
Also, I managed to finish my generic chestplate. It's reshaped and sanded, ready for detailing, painting and so on.

Offline BojanK

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
Problem with scaling from miniatures is that you run in the ludicrous proportions like pistol grips that can not be gripped, pistols that are too bulky for their holsters etc, rifles that are totally unwieldy etc.
Design of the Vostroyan lasgun is based on early petronels:

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »
Heeey guuuyyys, did you miss me?
The costume is coming up together really nice, I think that it will be 100% complete by the end of 01.2017. Now that base of the coat is complete I will add ornaments. Next steps: making shoulder pads, painting armour, sewing leather pouches. From my perspective it's almost done since all the big parts are here, but I know deep down that it's still way to go.

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 08:38:02 AM »
YES THAT HAT YES

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »
Added some gold to the coat. All that is missing here are a few buttons and little details. Moving to leather stuff and painting armor.

Offline Tiberius

• Initiate
  • :
  • Warsmith
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
Keep up the good work, man. This is frickin' insane.

Especially the hat and mask.
From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »
I'm really excited because everything comes together at last. I still have some work to do, though: shoulderpads, greaves, steel scaled skirt, backpack, bayonet and some pouches. Rifle is also almost done, it just requires finishing touches and I will show it very soon! For now, enjoy the first version of my costume:

Offline voxbellin

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
Looks amazing!

Offline brat_Klont

• Initiate
  • :
  • Vostroyan Firstborn
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »
This costume ain't finished yet, so here's next piece: the rifle, 90% completed!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Vostroyan Firstborn soldier (with pictures!)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx