gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48642 Posts in 2491 Topics by 4150 Members - Latest Member: undertaker karl November 25, 2017, 12:20:42 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Crusader's Crusader
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Crusader's Crusader  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
Crusader's Crusader
« on: June 17, 2016, 11:06:50 AM »
Good morning, last night I started my build after months of contemplation. Well, not really contemplation. Just had to work down my list of cosplay costume and prop projects.

EVA foam is new to me. Only ever worked with ABS, fabric, sculpting and casting and resin in the past. Last night, I cut out one of the arms and started the diaper.

Staring with a Crusader for now, and later I'll eventually make a Emperor's Champion, once I am more familiar with making templates.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
Re: Crusader's Crusader
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
Good luck with the build.  EVA takes a little bit of getting used too, but I think it is still pretty quick to learn.  My biggest tip is to keep your blades sharp, as it makes all the difference.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
My biggest tip is to keep your blades sharp, as it makes all the difference.

Yes this is definitely something that I am aware of. Along with a sharpener, I have also purchased ten additional blades for $1.50.

One thing I realized though, and then confirmed on the groups FB page, is that I didn't need the additional tabs that are on the JFCustoms pep template, even though it was unfolded for foam. So tonight or tomorrow I will go cut those pieces off of the belt, buckle and booty armor.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
Finally getting back to work on this.

Finished applying the fiberglass to the inside of this pep helmet. This morning I spent some time before leaving for work to sand down the edges and raised points. Tonight I should begin sculpting with bondo!

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:59:23 PM »
Alright i have finally gotten back in touch with this project. Took a bit of a break from building my 300 different projects and now I'm back.

I started applying bondo to the helmet and sanding today. Here's where I am at so far.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
Been a while since I have posted here.

I've started pouring some molding silicone to slush cast multiple copies of the helmet. About twenty of my friends are interested in getting a copy from me, plus a bunch of other people in the area as well.

I used Smooth-On's Rebound 25, which is a brush on the front half of the mold. I applied three layers of straight silicone, and then two layers of silicone with thivex included. The purpose of the thivex is to turn the silicone into a thicker consistency, like cake icing, that doesn't drip, is used to build up the mold and add strength.

Once I get home from work I will flip the helmet over, remove the clay that was used to block the silicone from touching the back half of the helmet, and spray one two layers of Ease Release 200. The purpose of the mold release is to ensure an easy release from the helmet, and most importantly the silicone that has already cured. Without this product, the silicone being poured for the back half of the helmet would bond to the front half, creating one large mold, rather than a two part. All of the registration keys and clay would would mean nothing without the mold release.

The mold should be finished tomorrow night, and then I can put the Plasti-Paste jacket together on Saturday. That only takes about 90 minutes to cure. So if I start that in the morning, I can cast a couple copies before my RPG groups first Deathwatch session! ;)

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
Made a lot of progress on my build. I've assembled, strapped and sanded the torso. I realized though that I still need to add the pointed mk.8 neck guard in order to make this a Sword Brother outfit. I may make that either today or tomorrow. Depends on how fast I can finish up another costume project tonight.

Along with the torso, I also made the belt, which I believe I will have placed over the tabard. So I am not attaching it to the waist portion of the torso for now.

Along with this, I also assembled a shoulder pad, and pulled a couple helmets from my mold. I'm making them out of urethane resin and fiberglass.

Last night I purchased some of the acrylic caulk. I looked at the vent hoses some people use. Not really a fan so I'm holding off for now. Looking for something a little more flexible. If it comes down to it, I may design something and fabricate it on my own. Unless I see something else that works out right out of the box with a little modification for attachment.

Offline Kenneth__Creates

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 05:56:47 PM »
Very nice build so far.  That helmet is super clean.  Great work.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:44 AM »
Added an ornate neck guard. Turning this build into a Command Squad banner bearer. The towering parts of the neck armor will have a robed individual bearing a sword made out of thin EVA foam. The blue parts will be painted black, and the yellow will be an aged gold.

In the spaces other than the towering parts, I will be hand painting different vows or quotes in Latin.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Nearly there. Just need to do a lot of sanding, seam filling, and more sanding... All while I also work on a full armor commission that needs to be done by mid-February... O.O

The arms and feet are hiding inside of the torso right now.

Offline Abaddon Ah Cimith

• Marine
  • :
  • Abaddon´s doppelgänger - More evil than real one..
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
Looks like one of the Black Templars that you can see on the Fall of Cadia pictures...

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Rs4dkkWQr4k/WFlqvTlsb0I/AAAAAAABKuE/Ni0NbgV4ZHABUnYpoTTiL9OfcKFl411fgCLcB/s1600/black%2Btemplars.jpg

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Yeah I've always loved the pointed version of the mk.8 neck guard that can be found on the Sword Brethren models. Decided I wanted my character to be a part of the Reclusiam Command Squad, and make the armor a little more ornate.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
Assembled the stilts. This is the V2 stilt. First one ended up collapsing because the back end of the foot platform was too short in the back. Nearly died. But duty only ends with death. So I press on. :P

Tonight I plan on sealing EVERYTHING else. I've sealing the arms, torso, and toe portion of the boots. I've recruited a few neophytes and serfs to assist me in this ritual.

I'm also going to add an additional strip of foam at the base of the feet to conceal the wooden base.

Offline Crusader91

• Initiate
  • :
  • Sword Brother
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »
Everything except for the backpack has been assembled. Right now the arms are attached to the vent tubes, and I'm adding the elbows either tonight or tomorrow.

If the weather stays warm enough, I'll be spraying the thighs with plasti-dip.

I'm really liking the black that comes fro me the can, and I don't feel like it needs to be painted black over it. So I may just leave it as it is.
Yesterday I picked up some Montana Chrome Gold and Blood Red. Going to try these colors out on the shoulder pad. Going with the Sword Brother style design where the background color is black with a red Templar cross. I'll then hand paint a white outline around the cross.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Crusader's Crusader

gfxgfx
gfx gfx