gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48494 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3780 Members - Latest Member: moloch March 29, 2017, 01:10:55 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Costume Gallery  |  Biel Tan Warlocks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Biel Tan Warlocks  (Read 925 times)

Offline notbob

• Initiate
  • :
  • Keep Calm and Cthulhu Fhtagn
Biel Tan Warlocks
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
My wife and I recently finished 2 Eldar Warlocks. A friend and I wore them to the Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle.

As much as I want some space marine armor, we felt the Imperials we've seen around needed some sort of adversary. I've always loved the Eldar asthetic and we felt the look meshed with our skills so thats what we decided to do.

We settled on the Biel-Tan primarily because I wanted to paint with some green. Altho for a period we almost went Sam-Hain for a nice red / gold color scheme. Decent green fabrics are tough to find!

We started the project August 2015 and finished April 2016. Probably lost a full month between December and January. Other than that, it's been a pretty hard steady push for us, especially the past couple of months. So we've probably put a good 6 months into these two costumes as we missed most of December and January.

My wife really went to town on adding runes to the gowns. The pictures don't show the gloves real well, but she "runed" those out as well. She was a sewing servitor, Seamstress Supreme!

The helmet was a fiberglass "sculpt". The initial sword was a foam and plastic card creation. The chest piece was fiberglass over a duct tape body form. Everything was molded and cast so we could make duplicates.

The chest pieces don't fit as well as I would have liked, but I'm mostly happy with the look. The swords are stupidly heavy as a result of deciding to add lights after the molding was done. I probably could have done things a little smarter. Maybe next time!

Most of the pictures are by us, except for the two pictures with the Autodesk / Pixlr backdrop. They were taking cosplay pictures at Emerald City and were great to work with.

Thanks for looking! Thoughts, feedback, criticism and questions are always welcome!

Kevin P
That rug really tied the room together, man.

Offline doomfist

• Tech Priest of the Cheapus Mechanicus
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • deviantart.com/
Re: Biel Tan Warlocks
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »
Wow  :o .  Very nice work.  I love how the fiberglass gave the helms that pearl-like finish.  Very cool. 
Suffer not the glue gun to burn

Offline notbob

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
Neat, thanks!

The pieces in the pictures are not made of fiberglass. They are slush cast using a 90 second resin.  I only made the masters out of fiberglass, and honestly, I'm really not sure why.....

The pearl finish comes from the paint. I used a brand called Auto Air. Auto Air has a range called Sparklescent. The Sparklescent paints have larger "chunks" than pearl paints. They really pop out in the sun and unfortunately, I don't think the camera does them justice.

The final step of the painting is the clear coat. According to my research, that's what really gives the layers of paints a "depth". I used a urethane clear coat through an air gun. I can't say how well a rattle can clear coat would work. The Auto Air / Createx paints are water based, so as long as they have some time to dry, I think they would play nice with whatever (enamel / laquer / urethane) goes over the top of it. Always test first!

Offline glig

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:27:13 PM »
I'm always happy to see more Eldar in the forums, but ugh, so jealous of the swords!

Do y'all have any plans to visit the east coast conventions in the next few years?

Offline notbob

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Thanks! I'm actually working on a write up of the sword construction as I've had several people ask questions about them. It's silly how heavy they are but there may be a technique or two someone would find useful. I'm assuming that would need to be posted in the non-Imperial forum....

Sadly, I won't be able to travel to any conventions outside of our local area this year ( Oregon ) The deal with my wife for finishing the warlocks involved me wearing an explosive neck collar that will detonate when I stop working on house projects that have fallen to the wayside.....

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Costume Gallery  |  Biel Tan Warlocks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx