gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48438 Posts in 2466 Topics by 3823 Members - Latest Member: Ryouka April 23, 2017, 05:48:01 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  White Scars Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: White Scars Build  (Read 5282 times)

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: White Scars Build
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 05:42:23 AM »
Helmet 2: The Helmet Strikes Back

Some additional gluing and cutting has taken place.  This is looking much better then Helmet 1: A New Helmet.  The beveled "crest" has turned out quite nicely.  The face is a little "thin" at the moment, however I think once I connect the dome of the helmet together it will turn out nicely.  This glue is the bomb.

Connecting the ridge on the visor part looks like it might turn out quite nicely as well.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
Helmet 2: Helmet meets Trufo the Wonderdog

Some more gluing and cutting has taken place tonight.  Having set up a work area downstairs where my darling children don't go will hopefully make my life easier (don't have to pack up fully every time).

I have cut some "slots" into the eyes so I can slide in my aviator lenses.  Seems to fit. I might get some really really thin foam and make a "seal" around them. If I can i might add a red led above the lenses.

Also trying to decide how I want to do the mouth area.  I don't like the look of the 3d print.  I think I might make something bespoke. Possibly use some flyscreen and maybe mount the small skull in the centre of it.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 05:22:05 AM »
Helmet 2: The Helmet Vaguely Stirs.

This helmet is coming together much better. I have picked up some recommended multipurpose filler that I am testing on Helmet 1.  Helmet 2 also feels much better on my head.

I have glue the front and the crest to the front.  I now just have to glue the remaining 4 sections.  The 3d printed grill doesn't fit my modified helmet.  I am thinking I may go with a custom job using flyscreen and the 3d printed skull. I might even add an Iron Halo around the skull in the grill if there is space.

I will then have to finish the two sections at the bottom of the ear muffs.  This helmet does look a little longer in the face.  But it is certainly more comfortable for me.

Once I have finished gluing, then I will have to sand it back and apply the wood glue/gesso and see how that turns out.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 05:28:01 AM »
Had more than 10.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 01:34:06 AM »
Helmet 2: Into Whiteness

Final build of core of the helmet has come together.  Just realised that during one of my households "get rid of clutter" exercises the flyscreen I was planning on using was disposed of.  I'll have to figure our my plan for the mouth.

I like how the back of the helmet (the little slopes) has turned out.

The filler appears to be going well.  I am sanding it down with an 80 sanding sponge.  This appears to be really good for the curved surfaces.  Once I have it smooth enough I think I will give it a coat of gesso or two with some light sanding in between and then maybe some white glue.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 05:43:19 PM »
Helmet 2: The Two Whites

Applied a layer of Gesso.  This is helping me see some of the imperfections.  I am wondering how the white glue will change the surface texture and smoothness.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
Helmet 2: The Ears Strike Back

Went out and bought some bits for the ears, the tubes, and the grill.  Desk hole thingy, plumbing bits, and a wall vent respectively.

Not happy with the tube I bought.  need to get 4 more of the tube connectors.  Don't want to glue it all together until I have finished prepping and painting.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 02:39:42 AM »
Helmet 2: The Whitening Continues

Trying to decide where to put the skull.  I think I have settled on the traditional forehead placement.

Additional Gesso has taken place.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 05:12:32 AM »
Helmet 2: The Red Dead Redemption

Finally finding my old paints, I managed to revive a Crimson Red.  I have painted a test version of the Biker markings that I want to go with onto the helmet.  I think it looks really good.  I am also waiting on the electronics for the glowing eyes to arrive something mid to late January.  Some nice Red CL tube that runs on 2 AA batteries. 

Next I will have to make some seals/eyeliner to go around the lenses to make them fit and look nicer.  I also have to seal it with wood glue and then pick up and paint it with some White Plasti-dip.  (feel free to tell me if I am going down the wrong path)

I have spotted Sylgian's Power Fist.  i'll be buying myself some of that action and getting a mate to print out the Power Fist I think.

I also think that I might make my persona of the 4th Company.  Possibly make it a Captains armour (the Kahn, this one is called the Master of Blades) and setup a nice power Tulwar.

Offline Lokjaw

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
Looking real good, I also want to make a Tulwar for mine, I need to get cracking now crimbo is out of the way

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:42 AM »
Helmet 2: The uh.. I'm running out of sequels-ing.

Attached the tubes.  Happy with that.  Just got the electrics today.  But they don't make the eyes glow enough.  I think I will need to pick up some red gauze (tewl?) and give that a go.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 11:44:01 PM »
Chest.  The Chestables.

Today I managed to begin cutting out the template for the chest section.  A few pictures of others builds are helping me get my head around it.  And I noticed something about the print outs that I hadn't before (probably because I wasn't really looking), at the bottom of each it says row1/col1, row2/col1 etc.  So for example the front bit is made up of row 1, col 1-3, row 2, col 1-3.  Nifty.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
Chesty Bonds.

Finally found some time to finish this part of the templates for the chest.  Cut it out, transferred it to the foam and cut the foam.

Now.. I just need figure out how it comes together.  Although finally, after staring at few progress shots of other people, I just realised that I have been looking at the template upside down the whole time.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 01:55:43 AM »
Chestacular!

More work on the chest is happening.  Have to refer to the templates to figure out the neck section in my head better.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 12:27:36 AM »
Torso of Destiny.

More work on the upper chest.  I have some ideas on how I would do it differently if I do another one.  I might have to narrow the chest a little.  But I want to do the waist and crotch first.

I'm relatively happy with how the back is coming out.

And I found http://www.obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2761.0 link to the youtube how to space marine armour handy.  The 30secs section I managed to watch was exactly the bit I needed to see.  Cutting the little divots out of the back (little v's) to allow for better bends came in handy.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  White Scars Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx