gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48493 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3777 Members - Latest Member: petpet666 March 28, 2017, 06:04:37 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  White Scars Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: White Scars Build  (Read 5090 times)

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
White Scars Build
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:13:23 AM »
Well, I have finally begun my White Scars build after months and months of lurking.  I have a general idea of what I want the build to look like.  Interestingly I don't think I've seen any White Scars around the place.

And like many people, I am starting on the Helmet first before I move to the legs (with the possibility of having to redo the helmet later).

I'm using Pilerud's mega pack that I think is some of Shineys simplified for foam patterns etc. If you want to download it it can be found here: http://www.obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=1544.0
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:37:21 AM by drakmar »

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: White Scars Build
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »
Well, i've cut out most/all of the bits for the helmet.  Now to figure out how to put them together.

It sort of makes sense.  Once I decided where to start.  Not sure if the glue I'm using is the right stuff.  But I don't want to use Hot Glue as I'm not sure how well it survives in Brisbane heat and if I crank it out, my two kids are likely to plunge their grubby little mitts into the scalding glue.  Does it set quickly?

Offline Swampy

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 12:43:20 AM »
Nice.Just started mine using the same files from Pilerud.Will be watching with interest

Offline ArcticFox

• Scout
  • :
  • Tech Adept Cestus 5
    • The Grey Council
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
Yeah hot glue does set pretty fast and in a matter of seconds it's solidifying and just about cool to the touch, depending on how much you put on at once.  Regular temperatures generally aren't the problem, even if it's really hot.  The problem is if you leave the parts in a hot car or if they can get heated up in direct sunlight, the glue will soften and seams will pop apart.  I found out the hard way when I left my first helmet in a car on a day that wasn't even that hot.  It was easy enough to fix, but that's only because I hadn't sealed or painted it.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »
Okay.  With my own personal horde (children) requiring my time i'm not able to move to fast on my build.

Still trying to work out the pattern for the helmet.  I probably should have had a really really good look at the numbers and where they connect before I started gluing it together etc.

But.. I'm having fun.

Using pins and the fairly slow setting glue I have (but it seems to make a very strong bond and is able to be sanded) it is coming together.  I think I have some gaps that possibly shouldn't exist, and at least one part that I haven't worked out where it goes.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 03:50:43 AM »
did some more pinning and a little gluing.  I will drop into the HW store tomorrow and see if I can get some better glue for the next bit.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:35:19 AM »
more pinning. more gluing. I think my blatant disregard for the instructions means that I will possibly need a version two.  Possibly later.  I think I might have to cut some of the scraps to fill in the gaps and add more strength.  I have to say though, pins seems to be very very useful.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 05:01:04 AM »
pinned the helmet fully.  Identified where the gaps are.  Need to do more bevelling.  If I build second one I will do that.

Checked out it's fit.  I think that this is a tiny bit too small for my head (XL head).  This was the full size Pilerud pdf for simplified foam.  I definately think I did the earmuffs incorrectly.

I think that the complexity of the helmet and the relatively small amount of foam required makes it a pretty good first item to make.  Plus if you finish it you have a cool helmet.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
more gluing.  Almost all of the seems are joined and almost all the holes are filled with foam/glue.  Next will be the flexible no-gaps for the remaining sections.  Then on to sanding. 

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »
Done some filling and sanding to get a better idea of what is happening.

few seems to fill and glue together still.  Once I have finished prepping I might prepare a second helmet and then gesso this one.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 02:29:42 AM »
I'm obviously impatient.  But since I'm pretty sure that this is going to become my tester helmet, I have done some sanding and added some gesso to it to see how much prep it needs (more).

I like the fit of the helmet (on my head) but the look of it I think that it needs to be bigger.  I might lengthen the face a little on the second one.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
Now, having done some sanding, i'm pretty sure that while the glue I have been using is excellent for grip and strength, it is not so good for the sheer amount of dribbling it does.

I'm also pretty confident that I need to do a second helmet with some adjustments.  I think that the second time around I can improve on the base templates to make joins easier and less effort for the way I have been joining them.  (I may not be following the instructions but playing it by what felt right at the time).

I have had a couple of suggestions on the forums of different glues to use.  I'll try Sika Contact Adhesive first.  It's easy to get locally.  Combining it and better (for me) templates should make for less sanding etc.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 05:29:11 AM »
A cheap pair of mirrored shades just turned up in the mail today.  There were originally intended for me to where out.  But they look stupid... and I didn't know that they were going to be mirrored (I don't like wearing mirrored shades).  Sooooo.. when the pair I ordered for putting in my helmet arrive in a couple of weeks, I think i will be sacrificing these ones to my test helmet.  Depending on which one is easier to see through (these ones are really really dark)

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:51 AM »
Had a mate at work print out and acetone bath a few of the STLs in the OC downloads area.  Another friend is going to see if she can do me up some "White Scar" versions of the Purity Seals.  I have held them against the prototype helmet as a size reference.

I had them printed in different sizes. 

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 01:30:08 AM »
Helmet 2. The Helmeting.

Taking what I have learnt so far from my first helmet (which I am still using for test purposes etc) I have cut and started putting together a new helmet.  I have adjusted the foam template to suit my needs (a little longer in the face due to my extra large head).

And taking Rebecca's advice I have changed glues.  Oh my.  The difference in build speed if phenomenal.  And it is significantly neater.  I have also added some beveled edges where I think it will help in the end product.  In other cases I have decided to go for a square join as it is easier.  This glue also must be used outside or in a well ventilated area.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  White Scars Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx