gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48493 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3777 Members - Latest Member: petpet666 March 28, 2017, 06:01:30 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Death Korp Quartermaster
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Death Korp Quartermaster  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
  • Professional Photographer
Death Korp Quartermaster
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
I'll abandon my other thread - DKoK Grenadier, now that my WIP is a quartermaster instead.

It's based almost entirely on the ForgeWorld figure, not much other info is available.

If you haven't seen the other thread, then so far I have a greatcoat, boots, gasmask facemask, ribcage for the carapace armour and I'm mid-way through producing the laspistol... updates as they happen. Suggestions and advice greatly received.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
Re: Death Korp Quartermaster
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
So here's another small update to the laspistol.
The barrel and barrel-shroud have been made from plastic waste pipe, fitted to the pistol body via a hole drilled-in through the front. My first attempt at fitting the barrel with a shallow hole resulted in a fail when I dropped the pistol and the barrel came off. So, after deeper drilling it now sits much more securely. The feature underneath the barrel shroud is a simple rectangle of foamalux thermo-formed around the barrel.

I've assembled the magazine and that needs a bit of work and the addition of a locating pin on the side.

Also started the detail on the top of the pistol, I'm not sure what all that is supposed to be. I think some believe it is a housing for a laser-sight?

I'm really keen to get on and finish the construction so I can crack-on with the paint job. What do you all think of the scaling, does the size of the pistol look about right?

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
First base-coat added so I can see where I need to fill/sand down etc. It's shown that the trigger and trigger guard don't look to good - you can see that it is obviously made from wood. I'll need to work on that but I don't think it'll be that good when viewed close-up, so 6ft rule works for that one!

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »
Starting to add a bit more colour now, using a cut down broom handle for the silver bit on top was a crap idea. It looks like a cut-down broom handle painted silver. That's a pain in the arse - probably going to have to cut that off and replace it. Should I leave the barrel shroud black, or paint it green as well?

Offline BojanK

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:24:39 PM »
Black with slightly chipped edges would look best IMO.

Offline Voodoo

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
I'd add plenty of weathering, Death Korps gear is really well worn, especially a Quartermaster. As a "long living" DK officer he'd have likely had his kit for a while and had a chance to break it all in.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:59:54 AM »
Yeh, that's my plan. I'll post an updated shot soonish, but my idea is that the kit and weapon will look like it is in dire need of some TLC from a tech. I want it to look like the QM has been in combat for quite some time with no opportunity of having had anything cleaned.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
So, here's the WIP paint job. I added chipped paint effect to the green and gave it a dirty wash. Only thing is that the wash clearly shows big brush strokes, so it doesn't look to good. Unless it also looks like a filthy weapon that someone has repeatedly attempted to wipe clean.
The worn effect on the trigger area and mag needs to be toned down I think and I'm still undecided what to do further with the barrel and silver feature on the weapon top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline larkin

• Honor Guard
  • :
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »
love the weapon
here are some vids for prop weathering .Hope it helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvgwDFpioNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzATaw3Mic8

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:18:01 AM »
Cheers for the links larkin.
With the laspistol pretty much done apart from finishing off, I'm now working on the greatcoat. The one I bought from fleabay was too short in length(I'm 6'2"), in sleeves (I have orangutan arms) and the collar was not high enough.
So I am adding additional length to the coat, I have replaced the collar with a stiffer higher one and have rolled down the sleeves cuffs to increase the arm length. Next step will be making buttons with a krieg skull motif and adding a red regimental flash to the left collar.
Once that is all done I can move on to the next layer - carapace armour.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
Greatcoat
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
So here is the greatcoat being worn where you can see the problems with size.

I have removed the collar and replaced it with a larger stiffened one. Also added regimental flash to the left side.

The buttons on the coat are cheap and plain, I want ones that have a skull motif. So after looking around I found one on my sons toy pirate ship. There were some better ones but they have been used on the laspistol. This one isn't ideal due to the 'snarling' expression, but it'll suffice. Next step is continue modelling the button before casting 12 new ones.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
Death Korp Quartermaster
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
This is the button model, the mould and the cast results. Also you can see the cut-down skull ornaments I found which will go on the greatcoat collar. All items now need to be painted in a brass effect scheme.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »
Here you go then - finished and attached buttons, along with the skull and regimental flash collar insignia.

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
The buttons came out really well.

Offline Sirmac

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
Cheers, I'm quite pleased with them. It's my first attempt at casting. The fixings at the back of the buttons aren't too good, but - what the eye can't see and all that. Just ordered some worbla now for the carapace armour.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Death Korp Quartermaster

gfxgfx
gfx gfx