gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48538 Posts in 2480 Topics by 3987 Members - Latest Member: Borwan July 28, 2017, 03:02:18 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  Intro and Questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Intro and Questions  (Read 978 times)

Offline Cujo31

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Intro and Questions
« on: August 05, 2015, 04:31:03 AM »
Greetings all!

Completely new to the world of Warhammer and 40K...

Background:
HS Technology teacher who works with students with 3D modeling and Pepakura also do alot of work with 3D Printing etc.
I am a current member of both the 501st and Rebel Legion, but looking for something else creative to work on...
I have been a gamer and the like forever... and have seen Warhammer around but never really got introduced to it...
even though I always thought the space marines were pretty epic....

So anyway... a few questions....

1.  I have started collecting various versions of the foam pepakura files for a Space Marine build...
But I am a little confused by the 768 scale vs. 850... what is the difference?  I am assuming the
850 is the larger 8ft tall version of the Marines.... can I then assume that 768 would be more in 6ft range?

2.  I am a bigger dude... 5' 11" and about 400lbs... if I wanted to go with the smaller stature 768 scale, could
I get that armor to fit and to look correct on my oversized frame????

3.  I tried to follow a link to 4shared for the 768 scaled armor, but it appears to be broken... anyone have a good link
for a complete set of files for that build?????  Or can explain how to scale down the 850?????

4.  How does a newbie get up to speed on the wide range of factions within the game?  I have seen a ton of cool
armor builds... but how to choose when your a complete newb?

Thanks for letting a newb in the door.... Hope to do you all proud and come up with something cool!

Cujo

Offline Cujo31

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Intro and Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
Well no replies so here goes on where I am....

After looking at scale and the like, I see there is now 3 scales... 768, 850, and 935!!!!

After plugging in the size of my oversized melon (head) it looks like I am closer to the 935 scale... at least in helmet.

I also did some research of  Space Marine chapters.... and decided that I liked the following chapters:

I picked purely on aesthetics and then went back and looked at the chapter histories.... most are mysterious.

At this point, I am leaning toward the Storm Wardens...  Opinion?????

Cujo

Offline lordchammon

• Initiate
  • :
  • Blood for the Blood God
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
Great choose, there are two users that have built storm wardens armor, check the links:

Cilegray: http://www.obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=1881.0

Dynofiend: http://www.obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2576.0
You can check the build process in his Facebook Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.650583288369881.1073741855.343987182362828&type=3

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:02 AM »
Hello and welcome!

For your scale question there are a few posts that deal with how to scale armor. But given your description I would say you are most likely going to have to mix and match the scales. I know for a lot of people they have to scale up the helmet to fit as it's kinda small to begin with.

Anyway have a look around the space marine forum, you should find most all of your answers held within!

Best of luck!

Offline rero_design

• Marine
  • :
  • Deathco.
    • Deathco Build
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
850 Scale is around 1.90m (6.23ft)  tall and 935 something between 2.15-2.20m (7.0-7.21ft) height.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

Offline Cujo31

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »
Ok time for some updates!

First off, the helmet is complete!  Here you can see it after 2 thin coats of plastidip:

I was kinda unhappy with the roughness of the helmet, so I went back and covered it
with several layers of Gesso... here it is with the first layer of Gesso:

I ended up covering it with 3 layers of Gesso and lightly sanding it with 220 grit sandpaper.

More on that later....

I also decided that for my Storm Warden, I would need a Power Sword/Claymore.  Taking cues from
art work I saw online, I came up with this 3D model:

From that 3D model, I started printing to play with scale.... here is my first 3D print of the hilt:

At this scale, the complete sword with be about 54" in length.  What do you think????

Hopefully more progress soon, will be starting on the boots of the suit next.

Cujo

Offline Cujo31

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:09:57 AM »
 A question on the boots....

Should the toe portion of the boot be separate from the heel section?  or hinged????

Just curious... have the toes completed and getting reading to do the back halves....

Cujo

Offline FatherDamien

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
I did my boots in one piece and wish I had done them in two pieces with a hinge. I think most make the toe section fold/hinge up inside the boot portion. At least that's how I'm going to make my next pair.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  General Costuming  |  Intro and Questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx