gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48977 Posts in 2521 Topics by 4511 Members - Latest Member: Hexal Customs August 14, 2018, 03:04:57 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Terminator armor scale
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Terminator armor scale  (Read 5622 times)

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Terminator armor scale
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »
Honestly I wouldn't actually do any of my dino models, it was just a thought that had crossed my mind at some point - even if I could make them, I'd have no place to actually put the thing :P

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
As I've been building the torso I've had areas that have simply not been able to stay together due to the fact that I'm only one guy and I can't hold them still for long enough to bind properly so I've had to occasionally reinforce the insides where the tabs interlock with duct tape, and there have been instances where there are considerable holes in the thing due to the near-impossibility of aligning the massive thing properly so I've been going over those after with duct tape as well. Do y'all think that'll be okay (obviously I'll still be doing the resin and whatnot after the thing is done)?

Also, due to its sheer size I cannot build the whole torso until I move into the new townhome this summer - I have nowhere to put it until then, and even the pieces I've glued together thus far take up a ton of space. :p If you have the chance to make any of the pieces that are on the smaller side, I'd love it. :)

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
  • Death or healing... I care not which you seek.
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »
I honestly have no idea, the largest thing I've attempted for pepakura was a heavy bolter ammo pack; and that was mostly flat pieces so I could use things like cardboard to reinforce them (Something that could work for the large flat sides of the terminator chest). The only thing that would come to mind is using a thin coat of white glue, but you'd have to be careful to not have any parts warp.
I'll get to work on the arms today, it'll be quicker because I can just mirror the entire unfold in pepakura.
http://goo.gl/yq6Ln8 - All of the things I've (fully) unfolded

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
  • Death or healing... I care not which you seek.
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 12:25:42 AM »
Here you go, the entire arm in left and right patterns. If you see any issues just let me know, and it has some triangular bits to support each piece. For the large shoulder pieces, I used those struts as page breaks so you can print it without the inside if you want to.
http://goo.gl/yq6Ln8 - All of the things I've (fully) unfolded

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Thank you so much! I'm actually heading to Walmart in a few hours to pick up the stuff I need for reinforcing/bondo-ing the helmet. I may decide to scrap what I have of the chest piece right now and just try that again later when I've got more experience and can get a second person to help me.

I also found out that my brother knows someone who is very knowledgeable about cars and is an engineering major at Brown, and when I talked to him he said my idea of having an actual "air conditioning" system within the armor would be possible. I'm hoping that perhaps he can help me with that and any other ideas I have to make this armor the absolute best it can be.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »
Great work on this.  I might have to add a Terminator to my build list.

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
Hello, after a long hiatus, I have somewhat resumed the process of making a life-size suit of Terminator armor. I redid the helmet because my first attempt was asymmetrical, and right now it is waiting for my friend with experience using Bondo and resin and whatnot to do those steps. However, I have come across a major problem with the shoulder pads, and need advice on how I should proceed.

The pepakura file for the shoulder pads has a completely closed internal cavity, which means that if I were to complete the paperwork I would be unable to reinforce the inside with fiberglass mat to strengthen it for the Bondo (and eventually molding). At first my thought was to just leave the inside wall completely unbuilt, but the problem then is the thing is too flimsy. My second thought was to build only the sides of the inner wall, while leaving the middle undone. That way it would maintain its shape, but I could still access the inside to reinforce it. I wanted to get people's thoughts and advice on this, and how I should proceed.

Also, due to problems of flimsyness with the large pieces for the chest plate, I was thinking of doing that one using EVA foam. I was wondering what thickness I would want to use, and also how you go about getting the shapes of the pieces (and the fold guides) printed onto said foam.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the necro (I figured since I was the one who started the thread, I could necro it)!

Offline vonjankmon

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »
Foam requires some special considerations. The three big ones are that you will not need to make all of the cuts the Pepakura fold out tells you do, the foam bends well and holds it's shape so you just kind of have to eye it a bit bend it in places where Pepakura wants you to cut and rejoin.

The second is that for large pieces when cut flat the foam will match your printed template but once you bend it to turn it into a 3D shape, a leg piece for instance the foam will actually be larger than you want it, you need to keep the paper template, cut out the foam, then bend the foam into the shape it will be in and then lay the paper template over it to see how much more you need to trim the foam by. If you don't do this some pieces will end up larger than what you want, it may not be a big deal but for larger pieces, upper leg for instance it makes a significant difference. 

Third you need to account for the thickness of the foam when joining two pieces together, the Pepakura files assume paper but if you're using 1/4 inch foam you could find that depending on how the joint comes together whatever you built ends up 1/4-1/2 thicker than it should be.

For larger areas I would recommend 5/8-1/2 inch foam, that will hold it's shape well, 1/4 inch will likely work also but I wouldn't go below that.

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »
Thanks! Sounds like foam would be extremely complicated - but given the sheer size of some of the pieces it seems unavoidable. I also still need to figure out the issue with the shoulder pads, so if anyone could just let me know if my proposed solution would work or if there is some other method I should consider that would be great!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Terminator armor scale

gfxgfx
gfx gfx