gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48977 Posts in 2521 Topics by 4511 Members - Latest Member: Hexal Customs August 14, 2018, 03:05:13 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Terminator armor scale
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Terminator armor scale  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
  • Death or healing... I care not which you seek.
Re: Terminator armor scale
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
A lot of people do EVA foam sheets instead of pepakura, due to lower expense and weight. I've never seen a moulding thing like that used but it would probably be much more expensive than pepakura, and you wouldn't be making enough things to offset the cost.
http://goo.gl/yq6Ln8 - All of the things I've (fully) unfolded

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
Thanks for the info, that's what I figured. I'm gonna stick to pepakura since that's the only thing I know anything about, plus I've already sorta started it so I don't want to scrap and start over again [again] :P.
I printed and started with the helmet, I did notice some of the edge IDs were given incorrect numbers but luckily looking at the computer pep model I can tell how they're supposed to go together. While I'm working on this I'm hoping to come up with a way to have some cool systems inside the armor to make it wearable for longer periods, I'm gonna talk to a few friends in electrical engineering to see what ideas they might have for cooling systems that will REALLY keep it nice. I think the amount of extra space there would be inside the armor due to its size would be more than enough to accommodate some equipment like that and probably even more. I really want to go as above and beyond with this as possible, just because I tend to be ambitious :p

Offline cilegray

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:54 AM »
There are allready some pretty good cooling solutions out there such as vests that can circulate water thru em. You could go over the top and actually build a complete custom watercooling system with radiator and pump mounted inside the suit. All you would need is a few quick disconnects... so you can put the "shirt" with the water circulation on, connect to the suit's system as you suit up.

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
I actually already have a cooling best but the problem I've had is it only helps a small amount, due to it only covering my torso. What I'd really like is a system to actually keep the temperature within the suit itself cool. I don't know how the best way to go about doing that would be, so I'm talking to a few friends of mine who are engineers (electrical and mechanical) to try to come up with a solution.

I'm also hoping to install some equipment like an in-helmet communitions system (walkie talkie type thing), and probably a voice changer to make mine sound a bit deeper. When it comes to making anything, I like to go all-out. With costumes based on sci-fi, I like to make it so that it is as functionally similar to the "real" thing as modern technology and funds allow.

I think it'll be badass.

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »
Just finished the pepakura for the helmet, and while I did have issues simply due to the difficulty of holding the damn thing steady while adding new pieces once it got towards the final stages of construction, I've been using duct tape to go over those areas afterwards so they won't cause problems with the rest of the process. I have a friend who will be doing the fiberglass/bondo part, because whenever I tried doing that with my daedric armor I could never actually get the bondo to smooth out no matter how much sanding I did.

I was hoping I could get suggestions for what body part to do next and could get a file that has it to proper scale. Thanks

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 11:35:42 PM »
Sorry to double post but I do still need properly scaled armor files xP

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 09:52:56 PM »
Still looking for properly scaled termie pep files, I can't find them anywhere on here other than the helmet which I've already done, and I don't know by what factor I need to scale the other parts up by to get them to the proper scale. I really don't want to abandon this build, but I can't really go anywhere if I don't have anything but the helmet.

Thanks

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
I'm so sorry, I completely forgot about working on this (I hadn't checked the forum for a few weeks..) but here's the chest for it. It's absolutely massive, being about 1m cubed. A lot of the pieces are spread across several pages, to prevent the confusion seen in the very last pages (Where the thinner parts had to be cut up to avoid using even more paper). The marks for lining up pieces spread across pages are turned on already on it, and again, I'm sorry for the delay.
If you see any errors in it or anything I should fix, just let me know and I'll change it as soon as possible
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:30:59 PM by Caramel »

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
It's totally fine, I'm just glad I've got that part set. I'll hopefully start working on that sometime this afternoon. My friend will he picking up the pepakura helmet in a couple weeks, so he'll be able to do the resin/bondo process and then make a mold/casts of it. That way I can experiment with different internal hardware without worrying about starting from scratch if I make a big error.

Really looking forward to this!

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
I just noticed while looking at it that I have no idea how I'm going to glue the pieces together that are split over several pages, because there are no tabs to use to glue them together. Also, on page 17 there are two pieces that are oriented in a way such that I would be unable to cut one out without leaving the other piece without a tab. I'm wondering what I'd want to do there.

Also for some reason it won't let me zoom in to get a closer look at the 2D part, so I can't even see what each piece looks like or what page it's on since it's zoomed so far out. I didn't have that problem when I was doing the helmet so my guess is it has something to do with there being so many pages.

Advice is appreciated! :)

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
Pepakura has an option in the paper settings that puts cross marks in the corner of each page you print, so you can line up multi-page parts. It lets you use the borders themselves as tabs, though you shouldn't fold them. As for the overlapping parts I'll change that in the morning, once I get on my computer.
Also the 2D menu lags if there are a lot of numbers, I don't know if you can turn them off in viewer (I think you said you were using that) but it should be an option called "Show edge ID". If not that.. Then you use the wheel to zoom.
I modified the original post's file, to fix that one part error
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:31:25 PM by Caramel »

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Yeah I was able to get those once I looked at it more closely. The problem I've had is that for some reason it won't let me use the zoom feature, I've tried using the mouse wheel but nothing happened. I'll try the check corresponding face but I remember on the helmet when I clicked that it would bring up a window showing the names of all the different pieces rather than highlighting which piece it connects to on the 2D panel.

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
That's "Check corresponding face" in the 2D pattern area on a right click, I'm talking about the top bar:

If you check it, it makes zooming crawl to a halt if you have a lot of faces.

Offline reptilelover1995

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
Thanks! Right now I've got a whole bunch of pieces that are assembled but don't go together so I've just been setting all of them aside all in one place to make sure I don't lose them. I also exported the pages all as a single .pdf so I could search for the edge numbers, but unfortunately on my PC it doesn't work very well (find function is very poor), so I had to use my old MacBook which will randomly shut down/freeze (three beeps then pause then repeats) so this may help.

Also, any advice for assembling this titan? The sheer size of the pieces makes it hard to hold edges steady when trying to align them.

Part of me has started wondering if I could make pep builds of dinosaurs that I've modeled in ZBrush, but the sheer size and poly count would make the supplies probably cost in the thousands x)

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
The only thing I can think of is to reinforce the sheets with cardboard or anything you have handy (I used to use popsicle sticks in layers for thin things like knives), and to glue one tab at a time, waiting for it to dry before going on. And as for making dinosaurs, something like Autodesk 123D make (It's free if I remember..) would probably be better suited to that, using cardboard like in this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Papercraft-Trojan-Horse/?ALLSTEPS

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Terminator armor scale

gfxgfx
gfx gfx