gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48538 Posts in 2480 Topics by 3987 Members - Latest Member: Borwan July 28, 2017, 10:45:47 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Mutants, Xenos, and Heretics  |  Thontos's Dark Eldar Incubus
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thontos's Dark Eldar Incubus  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Thontos

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Thontos's Dark Eldar Incubus
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »
Hello I am actually new around here but I have been cosplaying for several years. I am currently working on an Incubus so I thought I'd share my work in progress. Final paint scheme will be the standard GW Kabal of the Black Heart dark green armor, ended up going with the standard color scheme because I saw GW has a paint called Incubi Darkness and it would amuse me to say my armor is painted in it.

Helmet: going to carve and shape this and then try heating worbla over it.

Greaves and knees: made from expanded PVC. I should really learn to use EVA foam one day, I keep seeing people making beautiful costumes out of it

klaive: cut from poplar it will have trenches sanded into it so I can line them with LEDs and then put a layer of plexiglass over them where the runes are supposed to be so I can have glowing runes. It measures 6'3" because the official listed length for a klaive is supposed to be 2 meters which would be 6.5' but many of the conventions in my area have that as their maximum prop height so I shrunk my klaive a couple inches just to make sure I avoid problems with staff. Not like the wing blades on the back reaching 7' won't cause other problems.

Offline Thontos

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Thontos's Dark Eldar Incubus
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:27:54 AM »
progress
piles of plates

shaping worbla over monster clay was a success

Offline larkin

• Honor Guard
  • :
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:33:39 AM »
looks great

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »
Huh, didn't know you could do worbla over clay.... Good to know, thanks!

Also the build is looking bitchin!

Keep it up

Offline Wesker47

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »
Drink mountain dew much?  ;)

Great build, can't wait to see it done!

Offline Scarcasm

• Marine
  • :
    • https://www.facebook.com/ScarsSecretzDen?ref=hl
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 02:52:29 AM »
Hi Thontos & welcome to the Warp!

What happened to the Expanding Foam in the first Pic?  Did you clay over the top of it & then Worbla it? Or did you just cast over it?

I LOVE working with Expanding Foam, it's messy sure, but works well.

Looking forward to seeing your build evolve.

Offline Drack

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:33:47 AM »
I am quite surprised that forming the worbla over clay worked. Was it a water based clay cause I thought monster clay was an oil based clay. If it was oil based I am surprised it didn't melt. I will have to have a go at it if it was oil based cause it would save me a lot of worbla on some of my suit. Great work by the way look forward to the rest :)

Offline Thontos

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
finally getting back to looking at this. the costume itself is on hold for now, couldn't get it done in time for a convention a few weeks ago so now I'm taking my time and doing things right. I was rushing to get it done and decided to step back a bit.

The Helmet: the expanding foam was used as a base for the monster clay to go on top of, then the monster clay was able to make a nice smooth layer for the worbla to go on top of. Monster clay is oil based and is shaped by heating it up so when putting the hot worbla onto it, it did melt a bit but not much just near the edges. but after pulling the worbla off the monster clay I heated up the edges a little so I should shape them a little more sharply. I heated the worbla before putting it over the monster clay. Trying to heat the worbla on top of the monster clay would have melted the sculpture.

partially painted

Offline Lupus Irae

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:51 AM »
this is an incredible build so far. A very neat trick you did with the worbla over the monster clay. Gonna have to remember that for future build!!
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Offline Thontos

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 11:58:26 PM »
WIP pictures that I never got around to posting.

I was unable to finish this armor in time for a convention last winter so it got put on hold, but I intend to finish it this winter! I've got to remake the trophy wings but at least I've got more time now.

Soul stone, it has two LEDs in it so it will glow. I've also got a red one with the rune for an eldar Striking Scorpion to use as a trophy.

Does anyone know what the Eldar rune for Incubus is? I found the other aspect warrior runes in the Eldar codex but I cannot find anything for Incubus. I wanted to use it for my soul stone but since I was unable to find it I used the warhammer fantasy Elven rune for Eldrazor, Lord of Blades

Offline glig

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
This is the only reference I can recall on Dark Eldar Runes

Offline Thontos

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »
Time to actually get back to work on this, especially since the next convention is in just two weeks....
test fitting the wings, they are going to be a pain.

Offline Thontos

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »
Katsucon 2016 is done. Now this armor needs some repair work and a better paint job. Had to rush finish it so I never got to painting any weathering or battle damage. But I am done on this for now. Although I go to Dragoncon where there is a group from obscurus who marches in the parade I will not be joining you, this armor is too much to drag all the way there. It's a long drive for me and this is a lot of stuff to bring.

more pictures will be uploaded to my FB page
https://www.facebook.com/thontosplasticosplay/

Offline BojanK

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:35:51 AM »
Stunning work!

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »
I understand your unwillingness to haul this huge costume to DragonCon, but I do hope you will come to the Meet & Greet (Friday, DragonCon) and introduce yourself.

This is a great build, I anticipate seeing further work with battle damage and weathering.

I really think there should be a Meet & Greet/photoshoot at Katsucon for the OC, so many Warhammer costumes have been popping up from last weekend!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Mutants, Xenos, and Heretics  |  Thontos's Dark Eldar Incubus

gfxgfx
gfx gfx