gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48876 Posts in 2509 Topics by 4331 Members - Latest Member: Zorbax April 22, 2018, 12:58:36 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Genesis Space Marine Build (FINISHED, page 4)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Genesis Space Marine Build (FINISHED, page 4)  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Genesis Space Marine Build (FINISHED, page 4)
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
I have been working on this for a couple of weeks, taking pics here and there, and am finally getting around to making a progress thread. For the chapter I'm going with Genesis for the simple fact that I like their colors the best. I had originally planned to make an Ultramarine but from what I've seen everyone basically groans when they see another Ultramarine build.

I have this build scaled to be about 7 feet in height. I am using 1/2" cross linked polyethylene foam, which is basically the same as eva foam but it's smooth on both sides, no diamond texture to worry about. When I first started I ordered 72 square feet of foam, that got me through everything you see in these first set of pictures (just barely).

Ok, so on with the pics. (The first few pics were taken with a phone, then I switched to my camera for better quality.)

The first thing I wanted to knock out was the stilts. For these I used 2 inch thick insulation foam. The bottom layer is the full foot, then there are 5 circular layers on top of that. Then on top is a 3/4" piece of wood that my shoes are screwed to. All in all it's about a 13 inch lift.

Me wearing the stilts.

The boots are built. They fit nicely around the stilts.

Here, the legs, knees, and thighs have been made.

Cod piece and abs added.

Details on the belt and cod piece added.

Chest added.

Then while waiting on another shipment of foam I started working on the detail pieces. First is the chest piece. The skull is a plastic halloween skull with the back of the head chopped off.

Finished

Here is the 2nd Company symbol which will be added to the right knee. Below that is a banner that will go on the right shin. "Vita Exuro" is latin for "life burner".

This is a laurel that will be on the left knee.

That's it for now. More foam should arrive shortly so I can pick back up where I left off.

Let me know what you guys think.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:16:42 PM by Lifeburn »

Offline Abaddon Ah Cimith

• Marine
  • :
  • Abaddon´s doppelgänger - More evil than real one..
Re: Genesis Space Marine Build
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
Got the arms made and am working on finishing the shoulders. The shoulders need pieces around the edges to help them keep their shape and not warp like they are in the pic. After that I will start making the shoulder details.

UPDATE:

I also didn't like they way the letters looked on my banner so I changed them to something a little more bulky looking. I also added a little wear to the banner itself using a hotknife.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:50:46 PM by Lifeburn »

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:44:40 AM »
It looks so damn clean  :o looking great!

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
Thanks guys!

So I've been working on the shoulder details and everything is almost done. Right now the details are just pinned to the shoulders because I need to sand the seams before I glue anything down.

The right shoulder has the tactical squad arrow, and the left has a winged skull with the chapter insignia above that. It is the Genesis chapter.

The right shoulder in this pic is a little warped around the edge, but once I add a rigid structure to the edges that should be fixed. The rigid structure will also pull the bottoms of the shoulders in so they aren't so flared out.

And while I had some extra time I did a makeup test to see if I could get some good looking scars for when I remove my helmet.

Offline Daeouse

• "And what have we learned?"
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://daeouse.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Very nice work indeed! 8)

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »
Got the internal structure built for the chest, now it is much more solid. For the life of me I couldn't get neck part to work without crimping the pvc. I also bought some hockey gloves to use as the hands.

Then I suited up the top half to see how everything fits. I really don't want to do it but I may have to shorten the shoulders so it doesn't look like I have t-rex arms.

I stacked everything up to see how it looked. Had to take a picture fast because there is nothing supporting it, which is why it's leaning and the left thigh looks weird.

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
Alright, I got fully suited up to see how everything fits. I raised the shoulders a little, cut down the arm holes, and removed the biceps. My arms hang a little lower but I may try cutting the arm hole some more. Next is to start working on the helmet and backpack.

PICS!

So my left shoulder is tilted to0 far forward here giving the illusion that it is bigger then the other shoulder, need to fix that.

PUNY CAR!

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
I really love those wings on your chest/shoulder! ;D

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
Looking good, but I really don't care for the gloves, they are the weakest point of your build right now and almost look like claws instead of gloves.
this might be helped by paint, but right now they only add to the T-rex arm look.

But like others said, the details on the chest and shoulders is tops!

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
Really? I thought everyone used hockey gloves.

Anyways I may cave and do arm extensions,  I'm still trying to decide. But I would really rather have use of my hands for safety reasons. In something this big, tripping and falling is a real threat.

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I think it's just those gloves I don't like. something about the shape. I have used field hockey gloves in the past fo armoed gloves and I like the look they give better and also they dont have that thumb shield that prevents you from moving your thumbs at all.

As for the T-rex arms I think that can be sovled with making the shoulders ride higher.

Keep you the work, it's wonderfully clean!

Offline Haggard13

• Marine
  • :
  • Getting there one foam tile at a time!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 10:36:50 AM »
Very nice, very clean build.

On the subject of gloves, I'm using a pair of old muay thai sparring gloves for now, they have the padding across the back of the hand and the fingers but leave the fingertips and thumb uncovered, I've combined these with a pair of thin black gloves so the skin is covered but it still gives me enough dexterity to hold weapons / open doors etc
Drive me closer, I wish to hit them with my sword......
My Mk7 Build - http://obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=1912.0
My Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/HaggardsPropsandCosplay

Offline Lifeburn

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »
So I broke down and made some rudimentary arm extensions for the space marine costume. I was/still am against it for safety reasons....but I would rather people look at my costume and think "wow, that's awesome" instead of "that dude has t-rex arms".

The fingers are pieces of coat hangers that were twisted to give them more strength. Once they are in the gloves I can bend the fingers how I want and they will not move. I added foam to the palm area just to pad out the gloves. I still might add some foam to the fingers as well, at least to the ends so they don't poke holes in the gloves. The duct tape is just for added security in case the glue I used decides to give.

These are made with a elastic strap around the forearm so I can just slip my arm straight in and be done.

I should have a new fully suited picture in the next few days to show the difference in arm length.

Offline Daeouse

• Company Champion
  • :
    • http://daeouse.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
Interesting idea! Have you considered down-sizing a version of the moveable power-fist? If you can manage it, you could (in theory) make a hand small enough to fit in the gloves or replace the glove all together. My two credits. . . :)

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Genesis Space Marine Build (FINISHED, page 4)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx