gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49068 Posts in 2533 Topics by 4695 Members - Latest Member: Gamingwizz November 15, 2018, 04:33:51 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Full Scale Grey Knight Terminator
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Full Scale Grey Knight Terminator  (Read 3395 times)

Offline thorssoli

• Marine
  • :
Full Scale Grey Knight Terminator
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »
I suppose I needed a new challenge.  A while back I started tinkering with a maquette sculpt for a Grey Knight helmet.

These are pretty early pics, but unfortunately I didn't snap any pics of the finished maquette:

After a bit of tweaking, I decided it'd be better as the terminator style helmet and got to work on a full-sized version.  I started by taking a reject casting from my Mk8 Space Marine helmet mold and hacking it apart.  Then I added some 1/8" sintra to make it a bit taller and build the trademark plow shape at the front:

The forehead was cobbled together from a few more scraps of sintra:

Then I made the ends of the vents out of more sintra and took the ear caps from the original cast and re-attached them to the new helmet in a different orientation:

So here's how the prototype looked after the first day of tinkering:

To get a better idea of how it would look whenever I get around to making the armor to go with it, I set the whole thing into a large plywood tube I had sitting around from my ED-209 project:

Thus ended the first day of tinkering on this project.

The next day I started by building up the vent ducts on the top of the helmet.  In order to keep from having to make 1-inch thick blocks of Bondo or whatnot, I started by adding filler blocks made of insulation foam:
Thickening Side Vents by thorssoli, on Flickr

I layered on a bit of Bondo to make a sandable surface over the vents and, because I really wasn't happy with the shape of the plow-face, I added more Bondo to the chin and nose area:

Here it is with a coat of primer:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nPBtDU]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nRmWZt]

A few days later I went back and did some more filler and sanding work to smooth out some of the smaller flaws:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/nU6JSQ]

Then I closed up the eye holes with some scraps of styrene:

Followed by a bit more filling and sanding:

And a coat of my standard lightish-red gloss prototype color:

Here's the prototype in all it's shiny pink glory:

Since the prototype was cobbled together from whatever garbage I had sitting around, I couldn't really expect it to hold up to much abuse or even look good on display for very long.  In order to make a more durable version, it was time to make up a mold.  I started by mounting the prototype to a piece of cardboard and packing some thickened silicone into all of the undercuts:

Then I built up silicone over the rest of the helmet:

Note the cardboard wall around the base of the helmet that forms a drip tray to keep silicone from drooling all over the table and onto the floor.

I didn't get any pics of the actual rotocasting process, but it's pretty straighforward.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the process, you simply pour enough resin into the mold to coat the inside, then roll the mold around to make sure the whole thing is evenly coated.  When the resin cures, you're left with a hollow shell.  If you want extra strength, you can repeat this process until the cured resin forms an adequately thick shell.  Here's my assistant Kate with the first cast copy of the helmet:

As usual, I made more than one:

I used a Dremel tool to cut out the eyes and clean up the neck hole.  I also cut the trademark cross into the left side of the nose and a Forstner bit to drill an array of 1" holes into the left cheek.  Then the whole thing was primed and sprayed with a gloss black basecoat:

Once the black had set up, the thing was a coat of Duplicolor Chrome paint:

Then I cut out a couple of pieces of blue-tinted 1/8" acrylic, heated them up until they were flexible and pushed them into the eye holes with a soft cloth to get an appropriately convex shape for the eye lenses.  Once they cooled, I glued them in place and had Kate try on the helmet:

I tried it on too, of course:

And I saw that it was good:

Along the way I installed a couple of LEDs inside the forehead to illuminate the eyes:

Here's a shot of the helmet in its base silver color and better lighting:

Too shiny and clean, I know, so I installed some perforated metal sheeting in the cheek holes and started adding washes of black and brown acrylic paint.  Here's a closeup of the resulting weathering:

And a shot of two finished helmets:

More to come, stay tuned...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:58:13 PM by thorssoli »

Offline seraphic machine

• Administrator
  • Marine
  • :
  • dark fortune cookie
Re: Full Scale Grey Knight Terminator
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »
*gropeyhands*
Summa compromissorum nostrorum sumus.

Offline cosmo_kraemer

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »
from watching you build this on FB i kew this was coming.... i cant wait to watch the build of the armour tho that will be nuts. and Good luck with it.

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »
 ;D got no words for it except awesome! ^^

Offline thorssoli

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:02:47 AM »
Snapped a few better pics last night:

Offline Mr Kooolaid

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
I'm trying to get started on a build but I wanted to find some more actual pep files for foam. Does anyone know where I could find a full set? Or will I have to end up trying to do the unfolds myself? I've been able to find dark jesters chest and shoulders in foam, but that's it. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
I'm trying to get started on a build but I wanted to find some more actual pep files for foam. Does anyone know where I could find a full set? Or will I have to end up trying to do the unfolds myself? I've been able to find dark jesters chest and shoulders in foam, but that's it. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Dude...did you not even checked his pictures? You asked also in my thread... And I'm going to say it again... Go ask it in a newly made thread by YOU... That might help a lot better

Btw thorssolli, looks great though ;)

Offline Mr Kooolaid

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:24:34 PM »
Yes of course I checked the pictures! I thought they looked amazing and I figured I'd ask since he was doing a Grey Knight Terminator as well. I started my own topic though. Sorry I posted on yours like that and apologies to thorssoli as well. It looks great so far and I hope I run into you at a convention sometime!

Offline thorssoli

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
It's been way too long, so I've finally decided it was time to dust off this project and make the rest of the armor to go with these helmets.

I began by pulling my standard space marine chest out and adding some new chunks to it:

After a few rounds of adding foam and carving it down with a saw, it was starting to shape up.  Here it is with a raw cast of the helmet for size testing:

The shoulder pad was made by cutting out a basic outline:

Then I made a quick profile cutout and an outline for the bottom edge and glued them all together like so:

I went ahead and filled it with expanding foam:

After it had cured, I trimmed it down with a saw and some rasps:

While I was fine-tuning that shape, I decided to get started on a lower leg and a shield:

Because it seemed simple, I decided to focus on the shield first.  It's not small:

With the foam shape roughed out, the next step was to layer on a skin of Bondo auto body filler.  Here's how it looked after quite a bit of sanding and filling:

Then I built the mold:

The next day I set a minion to the task of removing the prototype from the mold:

Once we'd finished wet-sanding and polishing the mold, I laid up a strong, lightweight fiberglass copy:

I'll get back to that later.

The shoulder sculpt was given the same treatment.  After a couple of rounds of filling and sanding, it was just about the right shape:

It's still huge:

The shoulder was molded and in short order, the first pull came out of the mold:

Placed next to the chest, the whole thing is lining up to be almost five feet wide:

The lower half of the body is being made in much the same way:

Oddly, one of the first parts I started working on will likely be one of the last pieces that's actually ready to mold.  Here's what the chest sculpt looks like right now:

More progress to come.  I'm suddenly in a hurry to finish this outfit.

Stay tuned...

Offline Colin

• Brother-Captain
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
It has been way too long. ;)

Offline thorssoli

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
Progress continues...

I still need to get rolling on the force halberd.  Soon.

Offline Bowfanny

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Oh that is glorious. Such great work! Can’t wait to see more.

Offline Inquisitor Horvath

• Scout
  • :
  • Mutated, heretical, xenos hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »
That is AWESOME! I plan on making a grey knight helmet soon and I need help some  help with the materials.

#1: What do you use for the eyepieces? I've seen What you use but I have NO idea what it is.

#2: I am having troubles with pep files. Can someone shoot me a PDF file of a grey knight helmet?

#3: Just saying again that is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
Great to see you back at work on this!  The new pieces are looking great!

Offline thorssoli

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
That is AWESOME! I plan on making a grey knight helmet soon and I need help some  help with the materials.

#1: What do you use for the eyepieces? I've seen What you use but I have NO idea what it is.

#2: I am having troubles with pep files. Can someone shoot me a PDF file of a grey knight helmet?

#3: Just saying again that is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

#1: The eye lenses are blue tinted 1/8" thick acrylic.  I heat them up in a toaster oven, then press them into place to make the convex shape.

#2: So far, everything but the forearms was sculpted by hand.  I have no pepakura files for this build.

#3: Thank you.  It's going to get a whole lot more awesome in the coming year.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Full Scale Grey Knight Terminator

gfxgfx
gfx gfx