gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48493 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3777 Members - Latest Member: petpet666 March 28, 2017, 06:10:29 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  The Inquisition  |  Sister of Battle Project getting going
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sister of Battle Project getting going  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
Sister of Battle Project getting going
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I am new to this site, but not so new to Costuming.  this will be my first Project into the 40K realm and I am hopeing that the end results will be worthy of what I have seen here already.

First off let me start with showing what I am going off of for the basis of the costume.

Link in case the Picture does not show: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ragresen/14222555728/in/set-72157645095491686

And I have just begun the free form work on the shoulder pauldrons and will show the starts to that.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ragresen/14386026256/in/set-72157645095491686

Feedback is welcome along the way on things and any advice from those who have been through this process.

Thank you Very much.

Ragresen
Ragresen

Offline seraphic machine

• Administrator
  • Marine
  • :
  • dark fortune cookie
Re: Sister of Battle Project getting going
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:03 AM »
This looks like it will be awesome!

And welcome aboard.
Summa compromissorum nostrorum sumus.

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
First off thank you for the welcome.

I just care to hear opinions of those who have come before me on this so please feel free to comment.

I disagree with the fact the in the picture the upper legs/ thighs are left covered in what looks like cloth and not Armor. Opinions on if I should go creative and do upper leg armor based more off other Art and Pictures of sisters? Also since it seems to change all the time. Heels or non heeled shoes for the foot wear below what I will make appeared Armored up?

Made a little progress and ran a test on some scrap eva foam for working out how best to heat and shape the breast section of the chest armor. I am still considering how to do the upper body the best way and get an armored torso feel to me.
Ragresen

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
Ok so since last post I decided to try out an idea in a much more full form. Cut out the basic shape I wanted for the upper breast plate. Took out my trusty heat gun and went to work heating up areas for stretching and forming the breast plate. got to a point I felt to stop tonight and then to try again tomorrow. I just feel there needs to be a bit more definition to it.

This idea and plate shape come off another project pattern I made for a Drow Elf  armored torso plate that I am crafting from Worbla.
Ragresen

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:50:33 AM »
You could always cut out the boobs and form them separately if you want more definition.  Cut out a dome pattern and shape it.

Offline BojanK

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »
As Ronan noted, boobs are best done separately, then glue them on basic breastplate. Depending on your.. ugh, dimensions :) you can do basic breastplate relatively flat*, with just minimum curve to accommodate you,  which will give more definition to "fake boobs"... You can also use plastic bowls, if you find ones of appropriate dimensions also.

*When I was making SoB costume for a friend we were both quite envious of more flat-chested girls - it would have made a work so much easier...

Offline seraphic machine

• Administrator
  • Marine
  • :
  • dark fortune cookie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Or could you take two bowls/half spheres that won't melt, put them over the two bulges you already made and then work them to fill out the forms?
Summa compromissorum nostrorum sumus.

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
Well messed up the piece I was working on. First off needed more material about the arm openings, but I also then botching the forms to where I now have a good piece to test some other things I need to test, but it is no longer usable as a part I intend for the Armor.

Thanks for the Advice. I got a new way to try the shaping when I feel I am ready, but need to prep the stuff necessary.

Thank you again to all who are adding to the thread with advice and their thoughts.
Ragresen

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
Been a bit busy at work the last few days, but got down to a bit of work again on the armor tonight. Just some detail work to the pauldrons.

hope this build helps other along even as I make mistakes.

Ragresen

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
Got in some work between all the house chours I had to deal with. Being single can be so lousy at times.

Ragresen

Offline Lupus Irae

• Marine
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 03:19:47 AM »
This is starting to really take shape. Looking forward to more pics!
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Offline larkin

• Honor Guard
  • :
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 06:05:36 AM »
looks realy cool

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
Have you thought of using thermo plastic for the chest armour? It may take the curvature and dimensions more easily than foam. Doesn't Toy Division/Drucilla (sp?) do a lot of work with heating plastics by hand? Might want to fire her a note?
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
thanks for all the replies. the last week or two has been held up awaiting items to help push things forward and for me to find time between work that has been a lot more busy. there will be more to come in the next week.
Ragresen

Offline Ragresen

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
starting work on the shoes for the project. I am useing 5/16" thick rolled anti fatigue mats for the pieces and a pair of walmart bought shoes. Once I get the second pieces in place I till then work on grieves and the third piece for the shoes as I will have those attached to the Grieves on a pivot point so I can get in and out of the shoes.

Ragresen

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  The Inquisition  |  Sister of Battle Project getting going

gfxgfx
gfx gfx