gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49083 Posts in 2534 Topics by 4732 Members - Latest Member: That_one_nub December 14, 2018, 08:44:33 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  Wide Format Printing of armor templates?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wide Format Printing of armor templates?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Agustus G.

• Scout
  • :
  • 153 Cadian Regiment Desert Devils
Wide Format Printing of armor templates?
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »
I don't know if this has been proposed before...

So as I'm planning out my build and printing out reams of cardstock then having to try and realign, cut and tape our armor templates I started to wonder two things.

1: I wonder if anyone offers properly sized printed templates all ready for tracing onto foam?

2: if I could somehow format the correctly sized .pdo files into a .gif or some other image format? This way other aspiring Space Marine armor makers could just download the new file format templates, bring them to a Kinko's or other print shop and have them print them as they can print files using a wide format printer. (Thus eliminating the need for the mind numbing insanity of trying to fight a home printer , which has to print out several million 8.5" x 11" sheets which have to be realigned and taped back together.)

I understand that there's no set height or width for the armors as it's up to the creator by preferrence. Unless you're trying for authenticity with the "canon" 7' set. So the "one template fits all"  scenario is moot but for those of us out here who would aspire to create one of these imposing 7' suits, the creation of a wide format print capable template file or a pre printed armor template "commision" would be a great asset. It would also greatly speed up the initial startup of a build.

Has anyone gone this route before? I understand about the issues involving C&D orders for private sales of copyrighted materials but it seems to me that all this would be doing is taking the already free Pep files, properly sizing them to achieve the right height and bulk, then either offering them as commisioned work for whatever cost the artist sees as reasonable OR converting the rescaled Pep files into a file format that can be brought to a print shop for wide format printing, and offering it just like our current pep files for free download.

This is just an idea I've been thinking about for a few days. Any thoughts or ideas?

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
  • Death or healing... I care not which you seek.
Re: Wide Format Printing of armor templates?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
I've not checked it out, but I think there's an export as vector setting in pepakura, which could be used to make images. Besides that, you could always use a print to pdf thing and keep that/split it in to images.
The closest I've seen for large format printing, is ones formatted for A3 paper, but it should be simple to change the size of any pattern.
The only thing I can really testify to is the cost of something like that. I checked out printing a ~100 page pep at some point and it cost a fair bit of money, more than it would have to buy a ream of cardstock and a printer.
http://goo.gl/yq6Ln8 - All of the things I've (fully) unfolded

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
  • Death or healing... I care not which you seek.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:48:30 AM »
Just an update on the vector thing. It can be selected to export as a DXF file for multiple pages, which Illustrator can handle. Mountain and valley folds are separate colours, but no edge IDs are in place (They'd have to be added after the export if you wanted them).

is an example of how it looks. I was going to say that fedex could print the vector, but I just realised it was DWF instead of DXF or DWG. So looks like PDF would be the way to go :/
( http://www.fedex.com/us/office/oversized-prints.html is what I was using for reference )
http://goo.gl/yq6Ln8 - All of the things I've (fully) unfolded

Offline Agustus G.

• Scout
  • :
  • 153 Cadian Regiment Desert Devils
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
I THINK I may have something. I need to do some homework and make a few calls but I think I can get the templates printed the way I'd like after I resize them via Kinko's.  There is also a nearby sign printing shop that I can ask after in case Kinko's doesn't pan out. I'll report back after I can get a good bead on the situation.

Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  Wide Format Printing of armor templates?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx