gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48882 Posts in 2509 Topics by 4333 Members - Latest Member: iro559nman April 24, 2018, 04:32:08 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  The Helmet
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Helmet  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Shade of Dusk

• Scout
  • :
The Helmet
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
hopefully you have a decent under-structure to that as foam, with its strength, does tend to add up. wire-frame under that could have and will in future fixes save weight. plus as i have discovered for myself, store those in a cool area so that any trapped gases still in that will now cause cracking in time. the foam doesn't quite fully cure in the time instructions tell you that they do.

very good job. just wanted to share some experience and engineering knowledge there.

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
The Helmet
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
if that can be smoothed out, the armor will be very impressive, and i tend to shy away from discussing space marine armor because of how hard it is to get right..

Offline Shade of Dusk

• Scout
  • :
The Helmet
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Kommissar date=1257121860
if that can be smoothed out, the armor will be very impressive, and i tend to shy away from discussing space marine armor because of how hard it is to get right..
i probably should take your lead Kommisar and not talk about the armors but i am concerned about the weight and heat he will experience.

just wish the US Patent Office would speed up as I made a nice cooling system designed for costumes like this. I don't want to advert it too much till I can at least have patent pending on the device.

Colin, if you do experience some heat or structural concerns as you wear this, give me a pm/email. I do have a degree in mechanical engineering so I can at least help you solve most any problem that could arise. Just keep in mind that foam as i believe i have said before takes a bit to full cure so there will be a smell/gas release as it is warmed by wearing. keep your time in costume limited to keep from the gas causing issues later. I know it sounds like I am being cautious but materials safety is one of my fields of knowledge. Just don't want my fellow SM fan to get hurt in the passion of his fun.

Offline Colin

• Brother-Captain
  • Marine
  • :
The Helmet
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Shade of Dusk date=1257201840
Quote from: Kommissar date=1257121860
i probably should take your lead Kommisar and not talk about the armors but i am concerned about the weight and heat he will experience.

just wish the US Patent Office would speed up as I made a nice cooling system designed for costumes like this. I don't want to advert it too much till I can at least have patent pending on the device.

Colin, if you do experience some heat or structural concerns as you wear this, give me a pm/email. I do have a degree in mechanical engineering so I can at least help you solve most any problem that could arise. Just keep in mind that foam as i believe i have said before takes a bit to full cure so there will be a smell/gas release as it is warmed by wearing. keep your time in costume limited to keep from the gas causing issues later. I know it sounds like I am being cautious but materials safety is one of my fields of knowledge. Just don't want my fellow SM fan to get hurt in the passion of his fun.
So far so good.

Your concern really does mean a lot, though. Thank you!

Offline Inquisitor Horvath

• Scout
  • :
  • Mutated, heretical, xenos hunter
Re: The Helmet
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
Howd halloween go?

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  The Helmet

gfxgfx
gfx gfx