gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48439 Posts in 2466 Topics by 3829 Members - Latest Member: Baulthral April 29, 2017, 03:18:15 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space marine helmet build - help and advice needed.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Space marine helmet build - help and advice needed.  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Bob Hill

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Space marine helmet build - help and advice needed.
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »
Hi there.

I'm hoping to build a space marine helmet out of exercise mat foam.

I've downloaded shiney's PDO files formated for a4 printing and building out of foam and am hoping to get started cutting templates etc tomorrow.

I've got two exercise mats which I found for 99p in the local 99p store! Bargin.

A few questions to help me get going....

Which is better for cutting the mats - scissors or a craft knife?

What's best to stick the pieces together with - I've read something about using a hot glue gun. Is this best and what alternatives are there? Do you strengthen the joints in any way?

I've read that PVA can be used to seal the foam and make it suitable for painting is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for any help given. I'll try to get some photos posted up as I go.

Offline Amish Trooper

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Space marine helmet build - help and advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:22:54 PM »
From what I have learned it is better to use a craft knife/razor, the hot glue and sealant seems to be the popular route and you can use plasti dip/PVA to seal it and paint

Offline cilegray

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:21:19 AM »
PVA cracks on anything that will bend... test it on a small scrap of foam first; you could be disappointed by the results.

Offline Bob Hill

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »
Here's some WIP and nearly completed shots of the basic helmet. I'm going to add some details on the back and side and also try to find something to use for the pipes by the side of the mouth. I might try watered down PVA glue to see if that coats the foam any better and more durably than neat PVA.

Have people tried using just acrylic paint strait on? I guess it's the cracking issue that means that wouldn't work.

IMAG0652 by Spacesharks40k, on Flickr

IMAG0667 by Spacesharks40k, on Flickr

Offline cilegray

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
The foam is very porous and will just absorb layers and layers of paint, unless it's really thick.

Watered down PVA, regular PVA, Modge Podge, etc will all end up cracking if bent too much, but on a piece such as the helmet, that shouldn't really happen. It's not something that's going to articulate at all.

Offline FortMiller

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 12:02:19 AM »
ive used both watered down pva and spray on plastidip for my ironman armour, and found the plastidip holds up better to cracking and chipping.  Ive heard the brush on plastidip is even better yet.

Offline FatherDamien

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:06:38 PM »
I painted my entire suit with interior latex paint. No primer or PVA sealer. Just interior latex paint right on the foam. It did take two coats to get full coverage but its inexpensive and since its latex it flexes with the foam.

Also an alternative to hot glue is contact cement.

My suit is all hot glue but, I'm very careful not to leave it in an environment that could get too hot and cause the hot glue to become soft and seams to come apart. Wearing it in the sun on a summer day wont hurt it. But, leaving it in a car with windows up on a hot summers day could do it.

I'm told eventually the hot glue will fail anyway. But, my suit is now 3 or 4 years old now I think and nothing has come apart yet.

Offline Brother Androx

• Initiate
  • :
  • Loyal Son
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »
Hi there.

I'm hoping to build a space marine helmet out of exercise mat foam.
I've downloaded shiney's PDO files formated for a4 printing and building out of foam and am hoping to get started cutting templates etc tomorrow.
I've got two exercise mats which I found for 99p in the local 99p store! Bargin.
A few questions to help me get going....

Which is better for cutting the mats - scissors or a craft knife?

What's best to stick the pieces together with - I've read something about using a hot glue gun. Is this best and what alternatives are there? Do you strengthen the joints in any way?

I've read that PVA can be used to seal the foam and make it suitable for painting is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for any help given. I'll try to get some photos posted up as I go.

Craft knife all the way!  Spend a few dollars and get a good quality knife with replaceable blades.  Olfa is my go-to for cutting foam.  And get yourself a knife steel.  Just a cheap one from your local dollar store or wherever is fine.  You don't need the $50 fancy one. 

Plastidip is extremely expensive in my area so I used a combination of straight PVA and polyester resin on my build.  I The resin is great for making foam hard, but it cracks just looking at it. 

Offline ViolentDream

• Marine
  • :
  • Grey Hunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »
From experience with Xacto knives - you can actually live through a whole armour set with just 1 blade (assuming you don't break it or lose it) and a grinding stone. Always keep it sharp for clean cuts. Will save you money, but it's also recommended you keep a spare for emergencies.
Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind.

Offline drakmar

• Scout
  • :
  • Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 02:41:15 AM »
I've been using a section of 80 grit sand paper to run my $2 blade on every 6th cut or so.  Works a treat.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space marine helmet build - help and advice needed.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx