gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
48977 Posts in 2521 Topics by 4512 Members - Latest Member: 4SakenWelder August 14, 2018, 07:54:38 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space Marines discussion/art thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Space Marines discussion/art thread  (Read 17195 times)

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
  • Fighting the Black Rage
Space Marines discussion/art thread
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »
Good morning (well, it's morning here in New Zealand anyway...).

I decided to start this thread, as some of us were starting to derail rero's build thread. (sorry bro)

Now, where to start?

@ViolentDream/ Grove.of.Dreams: yes, Lemartes has the Black Rage, but he overcomes it through strength of will. After each battle, he is placed into stasis/ cryosleep/ whatever until the next one. I am debating whether or not to base my (eventual) Death Company build on the Lemartes story, just not make my guy a Chaplain...

edit: seeing as there's so many art pieces going up, I changed the name of the thread.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:34:00 PM by prev »
Treat us with honour, Brothers. Not because we will bring you victory this day, but because our fate will one day be yours...

Offline Grove.of.Dreams

• Marine
  • :
  • 1st Company - Imperial Fists
Re: Death Company/ Blood Angels talky thing
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »
Obviously I have a limited knowledge of the Death Company (or really, Blood Angels)...but perhaps the build could be the pre-deployment version?  That is, so far as I know he wasn't *always* a chaplain, and instead was just another cursed recruit remanded to the Death Company for service.  Depending on how you feel about battle-damage and the like, you could make it more of a semi-ornate assault marine suit with heavy close-quarters damage showing Lemartes at the moment of his (expected) execution, before his actual ascension as Chaplain & Commander of the Death Company?

PRIMARCH PROGENITOR! TO YOUR GLORY, AND TO HIS ON TERRA!

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
Re: Death Company/ Blood Angels talky thing
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
I've already got a very good idea of what I'm going to do for my build.

I had a (sort of) back story, but I really need to flesh it out a bit.

It basically went along the lines of him being an awesome strategist and warrior, he rose through the ranks of the Blood Angels to eventually become Captain of one of the Battle Companies. He was a veteran of many conflicts, and a prime candidate for the Sanguinary Guard. Just an all round badass who was destined for greatness. Until the Black Rage consumed him. Since then, he has fought countless battles as Lemartes' 2IC, at the head of all Death Company assaults.

I took elements of Tycho and Lemartes for him.

His armour is going to be quite ornate, almost artificer-like. Lots of gold details. But he needs a name (ideas anyone?).

And I need to produce some concept art. (sigh...)
Treat us with honour, Brothers. Not because we will bring you victory this day, but because our fate will one day be yours...

Offline Grove.of.Dreams

• Marine
  • :
Re: Death Company/ Blood Angels discussion
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »
Insofar as names go...do you (or the Blood Angels) have any cultural influences / preferences?

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »
As far as I am aware, they are based on Italian/ vampire stuff (I think?).

Other than that, I got nothing...

Offline Grove.of.Dreams

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
I dunno...kind of corny, but you could try Vincenzo Imperatore?  taking the root origins they mean (loosely) "To Conquer" (vincere --> vincentius) and "Emperor" (vernacular italian)

"Vincenzo Imperatore del Battaglione Morte", Vincenzo Imperatore of the Death Company ("Battalion of Death")

-shrug-  I may not be the best with names haha

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
I found these:

http://www.angelsghosts.com/angel_names (list of angel names).

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?187853-Any-good-Blood-Angel-names

I will go through them tonight, as I have to now go get ready for nightshift...

Anyone else?

Offline ViolentDream

• Marine
  • :
  • Grey Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »
Hadriel's a good start...or Mendrion ;)

Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind.

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:37 AM »
Not bad dude. I'm debating whether I want his name on one of his shoulder pads or not.

By the way, for those who are wondering, I haven't started anything yet, just bouncing (further) ideas off for my (eventual) build...

I actually like Kratos, but I feel that maybe that name might not suit a Blood Angel...

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 03:02:27 AM »
Kratos is more greek like from the god of war series :) but away from that it doesnt fit that well

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 03:12:05 AM »
Kratos is more greek like from the god of war series :) but away from that it doesnt fit that well

I am aware of that fact. I thought of him because he's got a few screws loose, like my guy...

Offline Grove.of.Dreams

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 03:33:44 AM »
The God of War series's....interpretation...of Greek mythology is kind of shaky :P  Besides, due to the popularity of those games, everyone would immediately associate you with it, rather than with WarHammer 40,000. 

If you fancy mythological origins, you could try something like "Hercule Invictus".  Hercule is a name derived from Hercules, which is itself a Romanized variant of Heracles - typically given as the paragon of physical strength and ability.  Doubly apt for your character, as the original Heracles was driven mad and in a rage murdered his own family.  Invictus was a Roman god embodying the 'unconquerable spirit'.  Put together, it definitely has a 'death company' / 'black rage' feel to it.  As for smashing two mythological names together, the second DoW game featured the Blood Ravens hero Apollo Diomedes (Apollo = Greek Sungod [amongst many other things], Diomedes = Hero of Trojan War)...so it's not totally without canon citation.

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 04:02:18 AM »
I actually don't mind Invictus, but I'm going to have a good look at some stage through the angel names link I put up a few posts back.

How about some art?

I really like the feel of this pic, although the boys look like they could do with a lot more damage.
I actually plan to do a pic similar to this one with Orks instead of Tyranids.

Offline Grove.of.Dreams

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 04:18:15 AM »
I like the Death Co. vs. Orks idea - for some reason, I see the main 'guy' in the picture killing an Ork....with the severed head of another Ork:)  As for this pic...I must admit, I don't think I've ever seen a single-handed flamer?  I do, however, enjoy that he's not even bothering to look at what he's setting on fire.   8)

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 04:46:12 AM »
I guess with enemies like Tyranids or Orks - you wouldn't have to look, due to the unruly mass of them...

As for the hand flamer, it used to be on a few older Space Marine models. I think that some Sisters of Battle still have them. I don't like them myself. Not brutal enough for me.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Space Marines discussion/art thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx