gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49445 Posts in 2562 Topics by 5538 Members - Latest Member: CryeGuy April 06, 2020, 10:22:16 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Yes, another scrub that needs help with SM armor.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Yes, another scrub that needs help with SM armor.  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Thairne

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Yes, another scrub that needs help with SM armor.
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
I know there is a learning curve to this hobby. A HUGE learning curve.
I learned it the hard way by painting the actual miniatures, and over the past two years, I improved A LOT. At least I like to think that.
But with this? This is HARD. You don't have the wealth of ressources of tutorials and guides to help you along.

Yet still, my passion burns bright.
I cannot live anymore (exageration!) without a Dark Angel Space Marine Armour arrayed in my living room.
I set myself upon the task of building a suit for the First Legion.. erh.. Dark Angels Chapter *cough*
But boy. this is DIFFICULT! I started out with Pepakura. Nothing to diffcult, albeit hard to master.
Knowing this is not the path I want to take, I assembled a helmet to get a feel for how the final piece looks like.
After this, I went and build my first-ever foam piece.
This was the result.

For a first build, this struck me as... ok.

So I set out to do a second build, improving on the first one - with disastrous consequences. It sucked and didn't even reach the final stages.
With the knowledge gained, I started the third helmet. Everything went fine - at least for a while.
The end result was... less than stellar.

Honstely? While I improved upon the facegrill and some general construction and gaps in the helmet, the overall result was... cranky.
I do not intend to give up, I cannot! Stubborness is ingrained into my very being.
But without the means to research and the overall complexity of converting a Pepakura file (Pilerud's) to a foam build... I find myself struggling.
I think I can assemble everything pretty well for now, except the dome shapes that make up the helmet (and possibly the face plate due to a lack of practice). Those things call all amount of trouble in the build, since I cannot get them syncroniced or to fit. They ruin the eyes, the general shape of the helmet, the connection to the "vox grills"...

I think I slowly am getting a grasp on what template needs to extend in which way to form a bond with the following piece and the order of assembly.
So my call goes out to all those experienced crafters out there... What did I do wrong? Any general tips to help me along?

Offline Tassius

• Initiate
  • :
  • Neophyte
Re: Yes, another scrub that needs help with SM armor.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:09:15 PM »
You might want to pick up Bill Doran's "Foamsmith Trilogy"--they're a series of e-books that lay out the basics of foam armor construction. I wish I would have had those when I started last July. He also does a live Q&a on youtube every Thursday. He's not 40k specific, but he makes this stuff for a living, and he'll answer any questions you might have. Don't feel bad about the helmet--the top of mine sat open for weeks before I finally made it work.

Offline ArcticFox

• Scout
  • :
  • Tech Adept Cestus 5
    • The Grey Council
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »
The trick is to remember that Pepakura is working with paper, which effectively has a zero thickness, vs. foam which is usually 1/2" thick.  That means you have to experiment with how pieces will fit together and still retain the correct proportions.  You'll trim some parts back, bevel others, and leave some out entirely. 
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

Offline shsims

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »
Also remember that foam is very sandible. You may have a sharp edge when glued together but after sanding, nice and round. Check out the foam at foamfactotry.com it comes in large sheets and is flexible so it saves on alot of seams. Check out my shadow guardian Sm and sylgians Sm for alot of info on how

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
Watch Evil Ted Smith on YouTube. He will teach you everything on making foam work. The guy has mad skills.

https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline Caramel

• Marine
  • :
  • Death or healing... I care not which you seek.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:40 AM »
Check out the foam at foamfactory.com it comes in large sheets and is flexible so it saves on alot of seams.

Make sure you check which kind of foam you're getting. I ordered from a more local foam place that had two types with nearly the same description, but when the foam arrived it was a sheet like the stuff that pool noodles are made of.
http://goo.gl/yq6Ln8 - All of the things I've (fully) unfolded

Offline Haggard13

• Marine
  • :
  • Getting there one foam tile at a time!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
Just as Gunhead mentioned, Evil Ted, The guy is a wizard when it comes to foam techniques, I've used his "how to" videos many times for references and general tips and tricks.

When it comes to building a space marine, you will find that you might turn into your own worst critic, It happened to me and I came very close to scrapping the entire thing because I wasn't happy with most of my earlier work on the suit but parts can be rebuilt, reshaped and reformed as your skill progresses, The end result of stomping around like a 7ft tall badass while people scramble out of your way is most definitely worth all the work you will put into the suit
Drive me closer, I wish to hit them with my sword......
My Mk7 Build - http://obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php?topic=1912.0
My Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/HaggardsPropsandCosplay

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Yes, another scrub that needs help with SM armor.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx