gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48494 Posts in 2474 Topics by 3888 Members - Latest Member: Jay_Cashman May 27, 2017, 02:14:17 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Black Templar : Azrael the Hammer (WIP)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Black Templar : Azrael the Hammer (WIP)  (Read 115646 times)

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Black Templar : Azrael the Hammer (WIP)
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
All right then.

I have been working on weapons for a SM suit for awhile now.. and since the weapons are at an acceptable level.. I..  I guess its time to actually start on the armor itself. I will be doing a Black Templar sergeant, NO HELMET, assault marine(if i can find a pep file for the jump pack anyways)
I figured I should start with the hardest part first. The chest piece. After collecting all of the pep files I could get my grubby little hands on, I picked one I thought I could use and went with it.

Let me tell you, pepakura is retarded.

13 hours later:

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
This is my first time ever using pepakura, resin, fiberglass, or.. really any part of this things construction. I'm pretty much winging it as I go.
This is after I put the first coat of resin on the outside.

The resining I did two days ago.. been tweaking and reinforcing various parts with fiberglass and stuff for the last two days. Finished the resining job more or less early today. NOW ITS BONDO TIME.

45 minutes of sanding later (I only did the front at this point)

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
I bondo'd and sanded the back down as well, didnt take pictures of it though. I have a lot of filling and cleanup to do. Lots of sanding and fixing to do.. bbuutt I wanted to know. I NEEDED TO KNOW
So I put a thin coat of black on it. Helps me to see the parts that need fixing.
and hey, what do you know, it fits!

Offline Seraphim

• Administrator
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.vividwings.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
That looks awesome! It might be a bit short over your stomach, but I suppose once you get the middle flexible part done that issue will go away.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
Did some additional bondo fixes and sanding today. Going to throw another coat of paint on it and see what I got.

Offline Kommissar

• Forum Commissariat
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
impressive, i've never really held stock for peprika projects, but your making it work.

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Very nice.

I have never tried peprika, but between Amancue and your work it makes it more temepting. Did you use the same files as he did?

I wonder if there is a pep file for a powerfist....?

That would be interesting...

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I honestly would not recommend it. I have no idea what files amancue used, but I sort of customized a file I found awhile ago. It seemed to work out.. This is my first time using pepakura...  meh

Anyways the armor is VERY hard, I guess.. you know.. kind of like armor =P But its fairly rigid too. Not a lot fo flex, I dont really need or want the breastplate to flex, but for high mobility parts it may become an issue. I think I am only going to use pep for the chest, shoulders, and backpack. Mostly because I think accurately scratchbuilding those things would be ridiculous >.<

Just cutting out and folding the chest and gluing it together took about 13-14 hours. It is very.. very.. time consuming. But it does work, with a lot of cleanup and bondo it can look good (Those super amazing ultramarines and khorne berserkers from that short film were resin and bondo)

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Also repainted it. Most of the cleanup is finished, a bit more to do on the collar area (its hard to get power tools in those little ass cracks heh)

Almost time to start adding copious amounts of heraldry! I'm going to try my hand at ETCHING. Since bondo is pretty much PERFECT for stuff like that. Hopefully I wont be fail at it =P
Anyways, here it is.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Moving right a long. I like to do my weathering/decorating at the end, when the suit is mostly assembled. So I'm sidelining the BP for the moment and working on the NEXT bit. The accursed Pauldrons.
Of all of the SM costumes I have seen the piece that makes the armor look retarded or retarded awesome is usually the pauldrons. Rule of huge in WH40k be damned, I refuse to let this build be one of the many failures.
With that in mind..

This is actually the third one ive made in the last 2 days x.@ Took me forever to get the size right for me/my BP. a pretty clean build from the pep file.. should be easier to work with then the BP.

Here it is with the BP - size seems almost perfect to my eyes anyways. It ends about halfway down my bicep, does not impede my vision, and rotates fully on the BPs shoulder area.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Heresy grows from idleness.

Second shoulder pepped.
Don't mind the dent.

Offline Captain Thomas

• Yarr?
  • Marine
  • :
    • http://captainthomas.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
This is turning out to be a very awesome suit of armour you're making. and yeah, the shoulders looks to be the right size...

Offline toydivision

• BLAM
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
This looks seriously fantasic- also I love seeing step by steps.

Offline MalleusIST

• Radical Inquisitor and overall naughty one at that.
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php#!/profile.php?id=1000007
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Dude, the dent honestly makes it look like the suit's been in recent combat and hasn't been worked on by a tech-priest yet.

Offline Djinn

• Thug Life
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »
Hahaha, I may have a bolter crater or two in it by the time I'm finished. Who knows what the weathering will be like when I get around to it.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Black Templar : Azrael the Hammer (WIP)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx