gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49152 Posts in 2543 Topics by 5036 Members - Latest Member: snorvargen May 22, 2019, 01:27:27 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  A few Newbie questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A few Newbie questions  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Thundergod

• Initiate
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here but I have been lurking for the past week or two reading old posts. I have to say the things I've seen here are beyond belief! You have all done awesome work! I want to build my own SM but I have never been very inclined with powertools and I do feel a bit intimidated by the scale of these builds. I'm wanting to start simple but, I'm the kind of guy who likes to have everything planned out before I start something. I have been having some difficulty choosing a chapter. My biggest fear is that I'm going to get it together and get out to a con and hear "Oh, its another UltraMarine or its another Blood Angel" (Despite them being among my favorite chapters) I was also thinking about going Space Wolf or Raven Guard. Would love to make a Chaplin, but that might be another build. I wanted to ask everyones opinions on What chapter I should make my suit? I also wanted to ask about foam, I have read the forums on a number of builds that used foam and wanted to ask what was the best foam to get on a low budget?

Offline Cyraga

• Initiate
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
In all the various expos I've been to I've never seen a single person in space marine get up. I suspect you'll wow just about everyone no matter which chapter you choose. Build what you like dude.
I'm also quite new and in the same boat. I very rarely work with my hands too. That said I'm far from the best person to help with technical stuff.

All the same, welcome!

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm almost done with my first build and it will be my first con too.  I doubt someone will rag on you for your chapter.  If they do yell "Blood for the Blood God!" and kick them in the nuts.  Ok don't really do that.  I would say, do what you want, but keep in simple.  It takes quite awhile to get the hang of cutting foam just right.  I'm just making a basic tactical marine, but I plan on adding to it later.  

Take plenty of time figuring out the scale.  There are a couple tutorials on here to help you figure it out.  Its cheaper to test fit with paper then foam too.

As for what type of foam, if you are in the states get the 2x2 fatigue pads from harbor freight.  If not then something similar.  Stay away from the blue camping rolls.  The smaller the pores the better.

You don't really need power tools to build it.  The basics that I've used are.

- Drywall knife with many many spare blades.
- High Temp glue gun (regular could melt in very hot outside temps)
- Dry erase marker (works great on foam)
- Metal ruler for straight cuts
- Steady hand and patience

You can get many variations of these and other tools, but if you have these you could a decent suit.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I say go with whatever chapter you love most, the armour is for you after-all.  I did a Raven Guard, and wore it in the spring.  Lots of people got it, others loved it without knowing what it was, and lots of people got the chapter wrong, or had to ask about it.  But that isn't a bad thing, it's just one more opportunity to talk with people about your creation.  Of the people I met who got it wrong, none were jerks about it.  The closest to a bad experience I had was a guy telling me I should be red, as he confused blood ravens with Raven Guard.  Oh, and make sure you know your Primarch's name, I had a lot of people ask me that, haha.

Offline Thundergod

• Initiate
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:47:00 AM »
Thank you all very much for the advice and words of encouragement. I do live in the states and I belive I have a harbor freight not to far away from me.  And as for what chapter I'm thinking on going ahead and doing  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/14623/129/emo/0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' /> ltramarine!

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Ohs noes, another Pretty Marine!  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
If you do go to harbor freight, might as well pick up a heat gun too.  They are very helpful.

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Just reread what Ronan said about power tools and although they are like cute undies on a woman for me, unless you are going to get into bondo etc... they are totally not necessary.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would tell you a hot knife is not an good timesaver if you are working in foam. The other piece of kit that I found very helpful (until I burnt it out being careless) is my Dremel. Really, it is the best kit I have and I find all kinds of great uses for it. Just saying. I don't want to high-jack your thread with a discussion of power tools.

With regards to your Chapter, may I most humbly offer up the Soul Drinkers? Honestly, they have one fo the coolest chapters EVER. And who does not like gold on friggin' Royal Purple! As well, there is the Angry Marines.  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/angry.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='angry.gif' />  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/angry.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='angry.gif' />  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/angry.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='angry.gif' />  Just sayin'.
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline ViolentDream

• Marine
  • :
  • White Scars Primaris Lieutenant
A few Newbie questions
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Just reread what Ronan said about power tools and although they are like cute undies on a woman for me, unless you are going to get into bondo etc... they are totally not necessary.

That's the best piece of advice I've read in awhile. So no bondo, no undies.

Oh,and go, Ultramarines!  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/14623/129/emo/0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' />
"There is only one unforgivable lie. That is the lie that says, 'This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, 'the world is safe.'
All emperors are liars." - Jaghatai Khan

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  A few Newbie questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx