gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48439 Posts in 2466 Topics by 3827 Members - Latest Member: apathy April 26, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  The Inquisition  |  Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ordo Malleus Inquisitor  (Read 8302 times)

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
So I have decided to go to fan expo next year in Toronto.  Naturally upon deciding this I also decided that if I'm going to this I need a costume, and this is going to be the thread where I post pics of my frustrating and hopefully rewarding process.

Now since it is me here I jumped head first into this and bought pepakura, downloaded all the patterns I could get my hands on, and went to my local wal-mart to buy all the foam they had on the shelf.

The beginning....

That is my first attempt at foamy building and stuff in that bolt pistol.  Still in rough stages of course but a start.

Also a quick question.  I'm looking at me pep pattern for the legs and noticing an overlap on a few pieces which will make cutting it out weird.  How do I work around this?

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:00:00 AM »
Okay progress from the first day.  Apparently my leg is way too big for the scale I did this in.  Had to do a lot of modification to make it fit right but now I have both legs mocked up and the first couple pieces glued.  I will glue the rest of the legs tomorrow and then mount them together and start on the diaper after that.  Not sure what I want to do for the knees yet so that's why I haven't made them yet.

A couple pics:
Me trying it on and realising just how off it is.  You can also see I tried out the knee type that extends from the shin but with the scale I'm building on it wouldn't fit.

The first leg mocked up after modifications done.  I then used this as the pattern for the next leg.

Finally both legs mocked up.

Hopefullly tomorrow is as productive as today.

Offline PhoenixRevival

• Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Wow, that's quite a bit done in one day. Jealous of that kind of momentum!  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

Being Ordo Malleus, are you going for more of a Grey Knight look or something of your own design?

Keep up the good work and that productivity!

Beware the x-acto blade, the glue burn, the paint fume.

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I'm using Coteaz as the inspiration for the armour.  I want to use the same type of shoulders but may switch to more of a Cataphracti terminator style.  I'll make the decision by the time I get to that part.

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
Alright well major problem to report but at least it's easily fixable.  All my patterns are waaaayyyyy too small.  The chest piece (luckily a paper mockup) looks like I'm trying to wear a child's shirt.  Easy enought to get new patterns printed but since I don't have access to a good printer that means a trip to the printing center and more money that I shouldn't have had to spend.  I was worried this might happend when I had to modify the thigh pieces.  I'm debating starting all new at a larger scale and using the legs that I've already made for something else later.  

Problem I have is that I have no idea what scale to use.  The feet and calves were okay and height wise it's pretty damn close to what I want.  This was done at 850 scale from Henrik's files.  His original files are in 935 does anyone know how much of a difference that would make?  Judging just by the belt on-screen it still doesn't look big enough for me.  I may try to make a chest plate without a pep pattern and start custom making it.

Also having trouble deciding what to use for seam fiilling but I think I'm going to just try and make nicer seams that can be sanded down nicely.

Tomorrow I'm gonna print just the pattern pieces for the space diaper and check to see if that scaling works for my.

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Look around here for some posts on scaling.  There are some great tutorials to help you out.

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Yeah I've found a couple, also using the measure between two points option on pepakura.  Although when I used that then measured the printed pattern piece it was much smaller than what pep said.  I already know the height is good so my scale would be good....if I was a thin little person  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

Scratch that found my problem....I was not printing on A3 size paper.  I feel a little silly.  I'm going to go get the 935 scale pattern printed on the right size paper now.

Offline jim_rush51

• Marine
  • :
  • Chaplain of Sanguinious
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
935 on those files is enormous. you will need roughly 1 foot lifts. are you sure those are henriks files? 850 scale on his patterns will not be the same size as a 850 scale on the patterns from the rpf.
Bring me the tainted Sons of Sanguinious and I shall lead them to a glorious victory and a warriors death.

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I got them from Henrik's link in his thread so yeah pretty sure.  I figured I want to be big, but not space marine big so I just downsized his files a bit and went with that.  If it ends up a bit bigger then I planned I can live with that and make up some story to go with it.

Progress note:  Been working every damn day recently so no time to do any foam stuff but my new patterns are cut out and assembled and my next couple days off I'm gonna start building again.

Offline LIIVI

• Vindicare Clade
  • Initiate
  • :
    • http://https://www.facebook.com/swordoftheberserk
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

[img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

Can't wait to see this finished!

I need an OM Inquisitor to take orders from!

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
Alright managed to get some work done so a little update.

First of all I got started on something fun.....WEAPONS!

and here are the legs I got cut out and glued together tonight as well as the beginning of the sweet, sweet thunder hammer. (please excuse the nasty carpet, it needs a shampooing badly)

This thing is gonna be big lol......

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
One more for the night.  Went a little farther on the hammer.

Sorry for the blurry pic.

I'll be back working for the next few days so no progress for a little bit.

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »
Quick update for obligatory space diaper picture.

SPACE DIAPER!

Offline ViolentDream

• Marine
  • :
  • Grey Hunter
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Justin Timberlake called...he wants his sexy back!  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />
Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind.

Offline twofour878

• Scout
  • :
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
A little more progress tonight.  I got the chest piece together and decided I wanted a full wrap around gorget.  As cool as it is, it was a PITA to build.  I am getting better (not good, but better) at my angle cuts....

And everything I have built so far of the suit.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  The Inquisition  |  Ordo Malleus Inquisitor

gfxgfx
gfx gfx