gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48536 Posts in 2480 Topics by 3981 Members - Latest Member: Mr_TopHatPenguin July 24, 2017, 02:41:13 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Pretorian
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pretorian  (Read 9541 times)

Offline elyisantrooper

• Company Champion
  • :
  • I´m the one with the artillery
    • http://www.inquisitionstrupp23.de/
Pretorian
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 03:29:00 AM »
I did
I started a own youtube channel, not very professional , but showing short clips with warhammer40k related project progress infos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIntElq341MTEhHEVAlkTXg

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Love it! perhaspe a wash to bring out the details in the gold?
can't tell if it's washed out from the photos or not in person.
I agree about the numbers being a bit on the small side, you should keep an eye out for larger ones [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

and yes, the eagle is sintra, carved, not cast

I see where the confusion we had about that came form now [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Your work is awesome as we have come to expect from you.

Offline Capt.

• Just an old Imperial Royalist English Gentleman
  • Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I've been looking at this helmet for a few days now, and I am tempted to continue the build... but the fact that a lot of the process will be very similar to my Mordian gives me pause... Of course there'll be minor detail differences, but... there is very little else that is diverse between the two uniforms... I just don't know.  :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:52:30 AM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Re: Pretorian
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
I've decided to continue this build... it would be a shame not to... it will be very similar in many ways to the Mordian Iron Guard build but it would be so bery British... and I might be able to make a few tweaks to the uniform that will make it fairly unique.

I have been thinking about what I can do to make it both different but still keeping it the same...

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »
Like my Mordian I thought I'd start with an existing jacket... with the Mordian it was a Greaster Manchester Police tunic, with the Pretorian it's (obviously) a Guards Regiment tunic. In this case the Coldstream Guards.

One of the frustrating things about having to pick these things up when you find them is they aren't always a perfect fit! this one needs a little shortening in the sleeves!

That's a trip to the tailors... but that's not the only alterations this needs... The epaulettes have to go and a front panel needs adding. This is going to be a big (expensive) job. :)

I can't wait

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »
The first thing that I felt that needed to be done is the changing of the buttons! Basically, I don't feel that a member of the Pretorian Regiment can have Grenadier or in this case, Coldstream Guards buttons!
I remember seeing some old US Police buttons which I figured would work here... so after a search on ebay I had these flown over from Pennsylvania. I think they work as the "P" which originally represented "Police" still works for "Pretorian". :)
I'll be replacing all of the buttons.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »

Obviously like my Mordian uniform this would need a plain buckle instead of the brass interlocking one it comes with.

To keep some diversity between the two uniforms (aside from the colour and the number of buttons on this thing!) I'm thinking about putting the regimental number on the buckle as opposed to the Aquila.

I'm not 100% sure though... although I am gravitating in that direction.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »
While I was pissing about with the belt buckle I decided to get cracking on a pouch... This is part of the reason I was looking at putting the regimental number on the belt buckle instead of an Aquila...
I started with a white mobile phone case... (I think it's for the Apple phone) with a belt clip.

The first thing I noticed is the belt clip had to change.... so with careful use of a modelling scalpel I removed the central clip

and found that the belt slides comfortably through.

...and then the front...
I took the last of the Aquilas that Finnlock sent me for my creations and used it on the pouch after painting it gold...

I used some Regimental numbers from the 4th Irish Brigade to complete the look...

The look with belt

It's coming along nicely, I think.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:00:58 AM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
Epaulettes... Like my Mordian build I decided to go real again. As I didn't have anymore antique French epaulettes in the back of my wardrobe, I decided to visit where the epaulettes originally heralded from... France!
Unfortunately my schedule wouldn't allow me to nip across the Channel so I had to go through my military collectors and suppliers routes. At any rate, the end result was the same and I acquired some old French epaulettes (in a much better condition than mine were in!!).

The first and simplest job was to change the button from the Artillery grenade that they came with to the "P" of the Pretorian Guard.

In changing the button from gold to silver it also dictated the rest of the d�cor on this part of the uniform. The attachments would be silver in colour... much like my Mordian. However, on my Mordian I put the Regimental numbers (XXII) on the bulbous crescent end of the epaulette, over the bullion fringe. This time the numbers would go on the shoulder, and I hope to place a larger Aquila at the end... if I find a pair.

There is extra space between the numbers and the crescent to allow the passant to cross the epaulette- like on the Mordian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:31:58 PM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »
For the record- just in case you were wondering what the tailor is doing- the work that the jacket will go through is extensive... The pictures show what I have in mind... unlike the Mordian which has an open collar, I want the Pretorian to have a closed collar and that means that I have to work with the collar that's already on the uniform. I've already mentioned the sleeves need shortening but that's not all... the epaulettes need removing in favour of the French ones, and lastly a new front panel to be added to the tunic.

In order to make it work with the look I want, I have to have the whole left breast panel replaced and extended out across the front to create the wrap-over look. this will also get rid of the current button holes as well. To this end I bought cloth from the manufacturers of the Guards tunics.

I think I'm going to have some excess... any takers?... Lamia?

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 08:34:54 AM »
Like I ever say no to more fabric.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
Keeping up with things to post- just so you all know... as I said a few posts ago, the buttons chosen were vintage American Police Buttons from 1943.

They have been lovingly given a new lease of life in the 41st Millenium

Before

After

Right, ...and that's it for the tunic until it comes back from the tailors at which point it should be completely altered and ready to wear...

I'm going to turn my attention to other areas like:
What do I do with the Coldstream Guards regimental badge embroidered on the collar- if anything at all?
As this uniform is a basic Guardsman (as opposed to a NCO) what else do I create or acquire for it?
I've created the blue Home Service helmet to be worn with this- but do I also invest in the white helmet?
What do I do about weapons?

As you can imagine I have no answers to any of these questions yet... but I'm working on them. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:03:53 PM by Capt. »

Offline elyisantrooper

• Company Champion
  • :
  • I´m the one with the artillery
    • http://www.inquisitionstrupp23.de/
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
I started a own youtube channel, not very professional , but showing short clips with warhammer40k related project progress infos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIntElq341MTEhHEVAlkTXg

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
Thanks elyisantrooper. :)

Uniform trousers sorted... a pair of regulation Foot Guards enlisted mens uniform trousers that match the tunic seemed to be the best approach.

I must admit, I'm liking the way this is coming together... it should come out looking better than my Mordian.  (I'm not sure how I feel about that!) :)

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 01:51:56 AM »
I know it's not a normal piece of equipment for the Pretorians but I've been thinking about a backpack to be worn with the uniform.
I was thinking about a white box-like pack with white straps that could be worn with the uniform. What's giving me cause to pause with investing in such a thing is the fact that the minis don't carry any such equipment bags (Funnily enough it seems no guard regiment carries a pack!).

Also, as I wouldn't want to hide the epaulettes under bag straps, they would have to be detachable so that I could thread them under the epaulettes between the shoulder boards and my tunic. I have found a backpack that would fit the bill and would probably match with the white belt the uniform has- but I don't know...
my dilemma purely extends from the fact that it's not on the mini!
I  would really appreciate some advice on this one from some of you guys. Please... What do you think? does such an addition matter when working to recreate a mini?

The bag above is the one I was considering, but it would go through a lot of modifications- The brown straps would be replaced with white ones, the buckles are fake and would be removed entirely as well as Regimental and Imperial iconography added... Maybe I'll see how I feel after I've finished the rest of the uniform...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:56:00 AM by Capt. »

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Pretorian

gfxgfx
gfx gfx