gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48493 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3777 Members - Latest Member: petpet666 March 28, 2017, 06:02:12 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Pretorian
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pretorian  (Read 8851 times)

Offline Capt.

• Just an old Imperial Royalist English Gentleman
  • Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
quietly frustrated by my lack of progress with my Navy uniform (although I've recently been given some great advice from toydivision- thank you  ;) ) I decided to tidy up a few things and do some sorting at home...

I found an old bobby helmet from the Cumbrian Constabulary.

I felt, if I replaced the helmet plate with one of Finnlock's large Aquila's... it could be used for a Pretorian regiment that wasn't the 24th. The British Army wears what they call a "Home service helmet" which is a blue cloth.

Obviously that picture represents old uniforms but we still wear them today for ceremonial purposes.

ANYWAY, I was thinking of making this helmet and perhaps even adding the spike to the top... obviously it's a bobby helmet so it's different from a "blue cloth" but for costume purposes it could work quite well, I think...

But the ultimate question is "should I bother?" 

People are prepared to accept multiple colours of uniforms for the Mordians (that's why I made mine the colours it is) but would people accept the Pretorians with a blue helmet over a white one?
Technically there are at least 23 other Pretorian regiments available but it's down to what you chaps think as costumers, gamers, fans etc...
answers please?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:34:24 AM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »

This is it... so far... with no spike... but with elastic bands.

if I continue, the spike will be "gold" and I'll have to find a way of hiding, or filling, the holes left from the helmet plate.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
The overwhelming feedback to my questions was incredible! thank you all so much!

As it happens Finnlock asked me to continue this build and decide after the completion of the headwear whether or not to carry on with the whole uniform. So, for the benefit of Finnlock- here's the details of progress...

I removed the cork lining from the bobby helmet temporarily

before removing the silver rose from the top of the helmet and filling the holes that were left with green moddling putty.

before spray-painting it.

Looking at the British blue cloth helmet a big concern was the distinctive chin strap and how to work it into the construction.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Some of you know that I collect Militaria from throughout the ages, and around the world...
I have dealers that help me get most things I need...
As this is for a costume I didn't want to invest in a genuine Victorian chain linked chinstrap but my friends came through with a different alternative.

I managed to get a bearskin shin strap. It's constructed the same way- only not as long...

I feel this coud be attatched around the brim to create a similar though not exact facsimilie of the helmet.
The trooper holding the colours in that early pic has a chin strap accross the helmet bridge... I'm hoping to recreate a similar look.

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Although I am happy with the chin strap- attaching it to the bobby helmet is proving a headache I'll continue this thread when I'm happy with my solution

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
I love the detail and effort you put into these builds!
I'm pleased that the box of bits have helped you along with these builds.
If I only had have the attention to detail you have, hehe.

Between you and Toy...and now with Static joing the mix...the world would tremble if the 3 of you ever got up to costuming together!

Really tops mate. It's also a shame you won't finish this... [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I'm guessing that's your attempt at reverse psychology, Finn... however I never said I'd build a Pretorian uniform... just the helmet... and that I will most definately finish!  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:54:34 AM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
If you look closely at one of these bearskin chinstraps you'll see that the gold rings are interlocking and they're sewn onto a strip of leather. I has to find a way of attaching the strap to the helmet in a way that I get the look I wanted more than anything else. The strap would never be used as an actual chinstrap, so I just had to attach it cleanly.
Glue would not work. nor would sewing....

I eventually decided on screwing it in place.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:22:13 PM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
I obviously had two ugly screws on show which needed to be hidden... Finnlock to the rescue! From the bundle of resin casts he sent me last year I found two identical skulls!

They were big enough to fit and at this current juncture in time I couldn't find a different use for them so the answer seemed somewhat logical...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:24:57 AM by Capt. »

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Aware that all Imperial Guard regiments have numbers I had to think of a number for this one. My Mordian is the XXII Regt. It was named after the 22nd Regiment of foot also known as the Cheshire Regiment. Keeping with the same theme I decided that another British regiment of foot would be ideal. I chose the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment- the 4th Regiment of Foot.

...and it fits with the Roman numerals I had left over from the Mordian build
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:25:42 AM by Capt. »

Offline elyisantrooper

• Company Champion
  • :
  • I´m the one with the artillery
    • http://www.inquisitionstrupp23.de/
Pretorian
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Coming out nice now---what thickness had tha brass you used for the aquila?
I started a own youtube channel, not very professional , but showing short clips with warhammer40k related project progress infos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIntElq341MTEhHEVAlkTXg

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Sorry Elyisan- that aquila isn't brass- it's Sintra (I think) It was made by Finnlock last year and just given a fresh coat of paint!

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
In the British forces, your helmet crest can denote the service branch even without a helmet plate- Royal Engineers blue cloth helmets, for example, would have a ball on a mount atop their helms... whereas Infantry Regiments would have a spike on theirs. I needed a helmet spike, and I found one in Amsterdam! A short hop across the channel and voila: Spike. (Living in Europe has its moments)

I re-painted it gold to match the Aquila and the skulls and the Regimental number.

Then drilled a hole into the top of the helmet...

And finally attached the helmet spike.

The last thing to do was to replace the cork lining to the helmet.

There we are: A Home service helmet for the 4th regiment of the Pretorian Guard
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:52:40 PM by Capt. »

Offline elyisantrooper

• Company Champion
  • :
  • I´m the one with the artillery
    • http://www.inquisitionstrupp23.de/
Pretorian
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Looks great, the pike gives special touch to the whole helmet. My personal taste, the numbers could be little more massive, but its only my opinion.

The aquila looks like hammered in the deeper lines, that was the reason for the question..
I started a own youtube channel, not very professional , but showing short clips with warhammer40k related project progress infos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIntElq341MTEhHEVAlkTXg

Offline Capt.

• Company Champion
  • :
Pretorian
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Quote from: elyisantrooper date=1369179180
Looks great, the pike gives special touch to the whole helmet. My personal taste, the numbers could be little more massive, but its only my opinion.

The aquila looks like hammered in the deeper lines, that was the reason for the question..
Thank you. It was a quick build- largely necause I had most items anyway. I only really paid out for two things- the chin strap and the helmet spike.

The numbers being the size they are was a result of two things-
1) I had left over numerals from my Mordian build and...
2) the curve on the helmet wouldn't have allowed them to be much bigger!

The gold paint I use is mainly used by graffitti artists so it's really thick. I'm glad I got the results I did- it's difficult to work with on smaller items. you can easily lose details.  Overall I'm pretty pleased.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Imperial Guard & Imperium  |  Pretorian

gfxgfx
gfx gfx