gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48494 Posts in 2465 Topics by 3780 Members - Latest Member: moloch March 29, 2017, 01:08:13 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Sylgian's Space Marine
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sylgian's Space Marine  (Read 97743 times)

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I have been maintaining a thread over on the RPF chronicling this build and thought it might be a good idea to also post my progress on this forum as well. After all, this board is dedicated to 40k. You all may help me with getting the specifics right.

FORGIVE THE MANY POSTS I AM ABOUT TO MAKE. I am catching this thread up to my other.

Inspiration hit me the other day and I have been obsessing ever since. I've been scouring the internet for advice and resources. I found some FANTASTIC builds. Two in particular stood out and I will be using them as guides for my own build. I am building in EVA foam and am going BIG. Around 7 feet tall big.

My guides will be the two following builds:
Henrik Pilerud's Blood Angel

---and---
Hasenbrau's Ultramarine

Both are fantastic

My first shipment of EVA foam has been ordered and is on the way. It was a good chunk of change so I am financially committed now, lol. I budgeted for about $2000 and I will be actively keeping track of expenditures this time around. I'll let you exactly how bad I blow the budget.

I'm starting at the bottom and working my way up. That means boots first. Since the foam isn't here, and I am not naturally 7 feet tall. I will be building stilts to boost my height.

I have been actively working on the proper scale to use for my pep templates and I have decided on 935. Its big, heres the footptint.

Heres the plan for the stilts. They will primarily 3/4" PVC.

I took some time tonight and designed and began 3D printing some brackets for the PVC pipes. (the wife got me a 3D printer for Christmas. LOVE her, and also love finding uses for it :love)

These little brackets will hold my vertical stilt posts to the base. Why dont they make these? Oh well, PRINT EM.

There are a few more items I need from the hardware store before my stilts can come together. More progress tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:15:50 AM by Sylgian »

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
Given I have little to do other than optimize pep patterns for foam or build stilts... today I built stilts. Most of them anyhow.

I rethought my design based on some prototypes my friend and I built the other day. Below is the version 2. Scratch that, Mark II,. That sounds cooler. Thank you Iron Man.

After a fun trip to the hardware store, and Harbor Freight. I had a pile of crap, a plan and a blown daily budget thanks to the tool store.

Print and cut out template for the foot

MEASURE STUFF. Then cut and start assembling some PVC.

Test fitting it up as I go.

And BOOM. Stilts. Mostly done. Still need a base for my shoe, but you get the idea.

I took 1" off the outside edge of the footprint. My logic is that more wood equals more weight. The footprint is plenty wide and stable as I have it. I will fill the gaps with a ring or two of extra foam when I make the boot.

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Made a little progress today. My first order of foam is on its way. I was trying to find EVA foam, but ended up going with this Cross-Linked Polyethylene instead.

From what I gather its very similar to EVA and sold under the brand name minicel around here. Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe xrobots used something like this in his iron man build. Just in case I only ordered $100 worth. If it fails me I wont be breaking the bank.

On the construction front. Here is my stilt progress!

Cut out the foot pads

Secure the with conduit clamps and bolts

Look like stilts

duct taped them to my feet to test.

I will need further tests with the leg strap in place around my calf. They are functional, but I think I'd feel better with them secured to my calf in addition to the foot strap. They were seriously wonky on grass, given the uneven terrain. Kind of scary even.

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
I tested a Mark III stilt this afternoon. It involved a flexible foam base on the bottom of the stilt directly below the front half of my foot. Sadly, I did not find it beneficial. I will be keeping the Mark II, but experimenting was fun.

The left drawing is what I attempted.

During this testing I found that adding strapping around my calves helped quite a bit. I no longer felt I was in mortal peril when the stilts were fastened to both my foot and calf.

Based on my rough math, I took a moment and made a quick size diagram. The man is ~6' tall. The final Space Marine should be ~7'. The proportion of the model is a bit off. But this should be pretty close to accurate regarding height.

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Testing with Duct tape strapping for the stilts:

Time to work on a strapping system for the stilts. I went to the store and picked up some nylon webbing, glue and some foam letters I intend to use on the armor.

Step one, print up some bits.

Tri-glides and some rails to mount the straps with.

Heel Plates

Step two, stitch on a bunch of velcro, mount and enjoy!

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Did some paint tests on the material. The density of the foam I have is certainly less than that of the EVA mats I had on hand. This makes it more flexible, and from what I can tell it will tear easier. Thankfully I don't think that it will be an issue. The good news is the finishes I achieved on my sample chips were nearly identical.

And some build progress. I must say the hot glue/foam was harder to accomplish than I initially anticipated. Getting clean seams is a challenge. I will be filling the seams with latex caulk before painting, but I still need to maintain a high level of craftsmanship, if only for personal pride.

TEMPLATES!

I also found making bevels to be very troublesome with only a razor. I sanded these down to make them even. I may invest in a cheap hot knife to make this easier.

Assemble! WARNING: painters tape was not friendly to the surface of the foam. I had to stick it to my shirt to de-tack it some in order not to mess us the surface of my foam.

The stilt I just set inside to test it out. Looking good though.

I had to modify my pep templates quite a bit while I worked. I expect the second boot to go a bit quicker. Hopefully my technique will improve as well. By the time i get to the chest/head my hope is that my glue seams will be much improved.

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
The second boot is done. It went a little bit easier than the first. The stilts are not  mounted yet either, but its progress. I will be starting on the shins tonight. The templates are printing out as I type this. More pics to come.

I still have concerns over the finishing. Mainly in regard to the seams. I understand that they get a bit of latex caulk laid down to hide them, but I still fear I wont be happy with the results. We shall see.

Turns out I have a local vendor for this lovely Eplsilon product Amancue was so nice to turn me on to. I will have the smaller test amount in my hands tomorrow. I am very excited about giving it a try. Hopefully it will be the solution I am looking for.

In other news, I did a test of the stilts a while back here is a link to the video: http://youtu.be/SpelhebVZAk

I also added these details to the toes. I will be further refining the boots with more detail pieces and cutting out the shins tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
The Epsilon is here! I am eager to try it out, but need to wait until I have more than just a few hours in the evening to test it. I will have to wait until the weekend before I can get around to testing it. This isnt a huge deal considering how much foam I have to cut and assemble in the mean time.

Tonight I added some detail to the back of the boots, traced my templates out for the shins, and completed the left shin and knee. I elected to mount the knee pad forward a little bit. Its hard to say what is accurate considering our reference material is 20mm tall, or comes in the form of various pencil drawings by Games Workshop artists. Other costumes I have seen mount the knees flush, I just thought having the lip looked more interesting.

Pics are below. More updates forthcoming.

The Coke can is just for scale

I plan on doing some testing with the epsilon tomorrow. I will take pictures along the way and keep everyone posted on the results.

In other news, I have been plugging away at the foam construction. At present I have the legs fully built and the chest is mostly complete. I should have just enough foam to get the abs done as well.

I will be placing another foam order this week. With the chest complete I will be working on the rigging of the armor pieces. There will be some suspenders and many other mounting points to keep me busy while the foam is on its way.

Progress pics below. More to come soon.

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Epsilon test report #1

I skipped ahead and built an elbow in foam. It is the smallest piece I could build. It has a seam as well, I figured it would be beneficial to the test. Plus if it turns out well, I can use it.

Here is the piece all prepped. I hit the surface with the heat gun to minimize pores. You will see I have a small roller handy. I wanted to see what kind of finish this would yeild as the videos I have seen have used brushes and left brush strokes as a result.

This is the result of a light first coat done with the roller. It has a nice even coating, no strokes, but there is a fine texture to it from using the roller. For the record I kind of like the texture.

Once my first coat dried (gave it about 30 minutes) I decided to try out a brush application of the second coat. The Epsilon does self-level to some degree, but it will still  have brush strokes when it dries. They aren't horrible if you're careful.

These are still wet.

And these are dry (again, about 30 minutes later)

Offline Sylgian

• Marine
  • :
    • garysterley.com
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I have been working on the chest a little bit. When last i left off the collar was still missing. I have remedied that for the most part. I strayed from the pep pattern here added some embellishments of my own in the form of some cutouts.

I figure I can be pretty free with these types of details and still be pretty much cannon, all while making it my own.

One problem I am having is that The chest is going to have to be reinforced somehow. That is unless I plan on holding my arms up off the sides indefinitely. I will need to give it a few ribs so I can give my shoulders a break and let my arms rest on the sides without distorting the whole armor.

Offline wookieegunner

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Great build and great build log.  Thanks for the indepth breakdown.

And on a more personal not, any chance I can get the .stl files you made?  I'd love to steal your stilt idea if you don't mind.

Offline amancue

• Marine
  • :
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
glad to see you made it over here sylgian,.. no I dont have to do a search anytime I want to see if you've made a new post,.. threads get buried quick there, and I also love your stilts I'm definitely going to be borrowing that style when I get down to the boots

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
hjasd ejhwef wefjkhwe wqjhwe... [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />

(Someone found my jaw? can't speak anymore cause of awesomeness!)
That looks really great! I almost want to abandon my fiberglass marine (its getting to heavy... [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> ) And start a whole new foam one

Offline amancue

• Marine
  • :
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Rraijjar date=1365811380
hjasd ejhwef wefjkhwe wqjhwe... [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />

(Someone found my jaw? can't speak anymore cause of awesomeness!)
That looks really great! I almost want to abandon my fiberglass marine (its getting to heavy... [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> ) And start a whole new foam one
yeah you really should [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> its not the fiberglass that really weighs anything its the bondo,.. I abandoned mine a few years ago,.. the chest and shoulders are still sitting in my friends storage unit

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
Sylgian's Space Marine
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
When im settled in my new home (somewhere in may) and everything is back on track... i might do it... I finish it quickly and see how it will end...

Then... FOAM!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Sylgian's Space Marine

gfxgfx
gfx gfx