gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48544 Posts in 2482 Topics by 4017 Members - Latest Member: Dragolord19d August 20, 2017, 10:35:46 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Costume Gallery  |  Pilerud's Cosplay's Blood Angels Space Marine build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pilerud's Cosplay's Blood Angels Space Marine build  (Read 174787 times)

Offline Pilerud

• Initiate
  • :
Pilerud's Cosplay's Blood Angels Space Marine build
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm not so active on the forum, but I want to share the experiences from my build in whatever help it can be to fellow builders. My downloadable file is continuously updated for every major modification I make. Read and watch EVERYTHING in it thoroughly before asking questions, please. And remember, I am no expert and can't answer everything, this is my first pepakura+foam build. With that said, I wish everyone the best of luck, and hope this helps and inspires to make more power armors around the world!

Info:
I scratchbuilt this Warhammer 40,000 Blood Angels Space Marines Sternguard Veteran, 1th company, 5th squad, costume as a fan.
It was first shown at The Scandinavian Sci-fi, Game & Film Convention 2012 in Stockholm, Sweden. (It has since then been improved.)

Videos:
Playlist with videos of the armor

Facebook page:
facebook.com/PilerudsCosplay

Suggestions and templates/blueprints:
Download the "simplified for foam" pepakura files, originally found on this forum, Hundreds of pictures from the build. And some of my own blueprints made for modifications and details. For example the backpack was significantly redesigned to look more like the miniatures. Not a complete tutorial, but alot of help in construction. All the things I figured out for myself, I give to the public to use. I update this file from time to time, so downloading it again at a later time gives you more pictures, information, and so on.

* Download pepakura templates and pictures from my build here. And many general building suggestions.
(Updated 2015-02-08. Almost 2 GB, so be patient if download takes a while. And if it fails, just try again.)

* You can also download only the PDF (that is included in the full download above) with the general building suggestions.

No comissions. I only create for myself as a hobby.

About 450 hours in the making.

Weight: The current weight is 26 kg.

Height: About 210 cm/7' (I am about 183 cm/6' without armor). (To be able to move around easier and be able to use my own hands, the size is a compromise between proper SM size and a normal human.)

Method: Pepakura (foam+hot glue) and some modifications to make it look more like the miniatures. And some aliminum rods, and screws and electronics. I used 935 as scale on the pepakura files. (Some exceptions. See the pepakura files in that folder for details.)

Cost of materials: At the present about 3000€. (And then I have tried to make it cheap.) The cost of the foam is only about 400€. The rest is all the other small things you need. (See separate document for more details.)

Getting dressed takes about 15 minutes, and requires a servitor and a short ladder/chair. First I put on the waist+thighs piece like pants with a belt and shoulder straps inside. Then step up on a short ladder and steps inside the shins and feet. The servitor puts in the pins so the knees connect. The top chest goes over the head like a sweater. The arms are attached to the sholders, and are connected on the pins at the side of the chest. Gloves on, and the servitor puts the helmet on. I can't reach the helmet myself. Off to fight xenos! (AKA "Pose for Pictures".)

Join the OC Facebook group
Many helpful people over there. And you can meet new friends.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:26:39 AM by Pilerud »

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
  • Fighting the Black Rage
Henrik Pilerud's fanmade Blood Angel Space Marine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Your build is AWESOME dude!!!!!!! What's next?
Treat us with honour, Brothers. Not because we will bring you victory this day, but because our fate will one day be yours...

Offline OldNight

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
I was just watching this video the other day.  Very impressive and awesome build!

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I've checked all the photos, they are really amazing! You could almost make a tutorial out of it [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline prev

• Death Company Marine
  • Company Champion
  • :
  • Fighting the Black Rage
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
(deep breath...)

I have a few questions/ requests dude:

1) Can you kneel or run in the suit?

2) How did you do alll the electronics in the suit?

3) Is there any chance of you doing a build/ tutorial thread showing how you built the suit, sharing any hints or tips?

4) Any chance you could build me a suit (dreaming, of course...)?

I'm sure the rest of the community would benefit from any advice you'd care to share with us.

One final thing - GO THE BLOOD ANGELS!!!!!!! FOR  SANGUINIUS!!!!!!!!!
Treat us with honour, Brothers. Not because we will bring you victory this day, but because our fate will one day be yours...

Offline Imperial Gothic

• Imperial Fists 5th Company Captain
  • Honor Guard
  • :
    • http://www.facebook.com/RosesAndBoltshells
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
He answered many of those questions in the document in his files.

He

Offline Pilerud

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Thanks Daniel. Yes, as you said. Please READ the info and CHECK the pictures  and video first. That should answer 99% of all questions. Anything else, I am happy too help. [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline Daeouse

• "And what have we learned?"
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://daeouse.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:14:00 AM »
Would you be able to post a "pattern" for the aluminum ring you used in the belt region and the shoulder rig as well?

Offline HexxenHammer

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
This is spectacular! [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> Just been through your download and you've built what i had in my head. I work in a motocross store and i've been studying our knee braces as an internal hinge for the legs. You got it spot on [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> Proportions are excellent! I've just helped my pal build a Kharn costume so i'm gonna have to build my own now [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Looks like it is fairly easy to get around in that build. He is not shambling around.
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline Hasenbrau

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »
Awesome build sir. I look forward to checking out your processes. Thanks for sharing your insight!

Getting the hankering to fix up my build a bit.

Offline Pilerud

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Would you be able to post a "pattern" for the aluminum ring you used in the belt region and the shoulder rig as well?

No need. It i just a aluminum strip. Bent in the shape af the armour (chest, shoulder, or whatever need extra sturdyness. And hotglued. It is also a way to get the right "bend" on stuff like the sholders. I used an about 2 cm wide aluminum strim, hardend kind, from a DIY store. Where they have all sorts of aluminum strips (profiles?).

Offline Daeouse

• Company Champion
  • :
    • http://daeouse.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
Quote from: 7959 date=1361731380

No need. It i just a aluminum strip. Bent in the shape af the armour (chest, shoulder, or whatever need extra sturdyness. And hotglued. It is also a way to get the right "bend" on stuff like the sholders. I used an about 2 cm wide aluminum strim, hardend kind, from a DIY store. Where they have all sorts of aluminum strips (profiles?).
Thanks for the info! [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline pattonwty

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
oh my god emperor,very nice work. [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline Alutus

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 02:43:00 AM »
Love the work mate, Your scale is perfect for what I want and has caused me to up my build from 850 to 935, although as a complete glutton for punishment mine will be pep & fiber, which is going to be a little on the heavy side.

Beautiful work!

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Costume Gallery  |  Pilerud's Cosplay's Blood Angels Space Marine build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx