gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49641 Posts in 2576 Topics by 5839 Members - Latest Member: The3rdman January 21, 2021, 02:49:41 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  40K fiction recommendations?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 40K fiction recommendations?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Hasenbrau

• Scout
  • :
40K fiction recommendations?
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice on what to read in order to get a well rounded picture of the 40K universe, as well as any good fluff stuff that folks might consider must reads/have to know histories etc. I'm currently reading the Eisenhorn series, and i must say I'm rather enjoying it. Time line stuff might be great.

I've grown up with 40K but must admit, while I know the basics gleaned from a paragraph here and there within the rule books of Adeptus Titanicus, Rogue Trader 40,000, and the original Space Marine epic game, I never much bothered with the fluff - It was all pretty obvious and borrowed heavily from anything popular sci-fi at the time or before (Anyone remember 'Princess Ryan's Space Marines'?).

I've recently discovered that there is quite a bit of published material from the Black Library, so seems like there might be some more gems there. I must say I prefer the Eisenhorn series thus far to say fluff in the main 40K rulebook, but if you guys think I need to read the rulebook stuff - I'll try to muscle through it [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

Also, I just got the rulebook and am trying to get back into the minis game, just finding no time to pop 'em off the sprus.

Offline MacKnight

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
Suggest you go first to the roots.
The Horus Heresy Series.
As you like Eisenhorn, i suggest you also get to read Gaunt's Ghosts. (theres 13 books atm)

If you want some 40k Action, I say you read Space Marine Battles. Theres 12 out atm. (I enjoyed personaly Rynn's World, Helreach and Battle of the Fang).

Then theres the short stories collections of the space marines. There's ''Legends of the Space Marines'', ''Heroes of the Space Marines'', ''Victories of the Space Marines''

If you want some renegades actions, I suggest the Night Lords story of First Claw, more direct, Apothecary Talos and his fate.

Then we have another night lord, Zso Sahaal. in the book ''Lord of the Night''.
We also have Word Bearers and Iron Warriors in their own omnibus collection each.

If you want some deamon hunters, I suggest ''The Emperor's Gift'' and the omnibus ''Grey Knights''

We also have the story of the not traitor but misled people of the Soul Drinkers, In their own 2 omnibus stories and their last fate.

And lastly.. hehehe... if you want WH 40k action with the Imperial Guard but with humor, I suggest the stories of ''Ciaphas Cain''.

I believe that is what I would suggest you to read [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
You can order them all from here: http://www.blacklibrary.com

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
2nd the above.
Horus Heresy is required reading if you want to have picture of the 40k universe.
Guants Ghosts will give you an idea of IG.
Eisenhorn/Ravenor for the Inquisition.

Space Marines stuff is pretty standard, just pick your flavor and go (Ultramarines Blood Angels and Space Wolves all have extensive series).

For renegades I enjoyed the Soul Drinkers series the best.

All of the Space Marine battles are good.

I even enjoyed reading the Word Bearers omnibus if your into that Chaos stuff.

Offline Hasenbrau

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Thanks guys. That's quite a bit of stuff to check out. I think I'll look to the Horus Heresy stuff next as I am probably more interested in getting an idea of the future history next, rather than straight up action stuff.

It sounds like you two have read quite a few of these. Would you say everything stays fairly consistent and avoids stepping on this story or that's "toes" so to speak?

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
The folks at the Black Library have are pretty damn good about keeping stuff straight.
That isnt to say some of the modern novels may have some conflict with original White Dwarf lore.
Honestly I think they have a good feel for everything.

And yes I have read everything above, working through hammer and bolter and some of the chaos stuff.  Need to pick this months Horus Heresy as well...

Offline wookieegunner

• Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
The Path of the Warrior, The Path of the Seer, and The Path of the Renegade are good books as well if you want an Eldar perspective.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Between my brother and I we pretty much have the entire Black Library... you should do that.

It's all good!

Offline MacKnight

• Marine
  • :
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Quote from: CLOTHAR date=1359355080
Between my brother and I we pretty much have the entire Black Library... you should do that.

It's all good!
Same here brother.
I missing a few very old once and a few of the new, other then that, I got it all...
Including some Limited Edition onces. 5 of them. the 6th is on the way.
CATECHISM OF HATE
AURELIAN GOLD EDITION
PROMETHEAN SUN
THE UNKINDNESS OF RAVENS
BROTHERHOOD OF THE STORM.

And that which is on the way:
MEPHISTON: LORD OF DEATH

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Since my last post ive burned through the latest Heresy (Angel Exterminatus), Ravenwing (first of the Caliban Legacy Trilogy), 2 of the audio book transcripts and started on teh Nagash Omnibus (non-40k BL).
All were good reads imo.

Offline chris_548

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
The ultramines novels and iron warriors novels, especially Dead sky black sun and storm of iron, both those books reallly summed up the horror and tragedy that goes on in the 40k universe, they cover allot of topics.

Offline chris_548

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
^^^ Graham macneill writes those books, incase you are interested.

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »

Cant wait.

Offline SCHRAMB0

• Ultrabrony
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

Offline Mortarion

• Initiate
  • :
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I really enjoyed Brotherhood of the Snake. A series of short stories about a loyalist chapter named the "Iron Snakes", but the way they all tie together in the end is pretty cool. One of the better space marine books IMO.
But im a heretic so what would I know....

Offline MalleusIST

• Radical Inquisitor and overall naughty one at that.
  • Company Champion
  • :
    • http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php#!/profile.php?id=1000007
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
In many ways the important thing is what particular flavor you like.  I can highly attest to being a Ghost fanboy, and so tend to go into the other books with a little hesitation.  However, that being said, I also advise picking up the Cain series for a spin.  Along with the novels done by Henry Zou, from his work in Blood Gorgons alone, it kept me hooked in a wonderfully heretical way.

Obscurus Crusade  |  General Chat  |  General Discussion  |  40K fiction recommendations?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx