gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!

gfx gfx
gfx
48439 Posts in 2466 Topics by 3829 Members - Latest Member: Baulthral April 30, 2017, 06:58:07 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Mutants, Xenos, and Heretics  |  My first Chaos Marine build WIP
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first Chaos Marine build WIP  (Read 7942 times)

Offline LordNaes

• Scout
  • :
My first Chaos Marine build WIP
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Well thought I'd introduce myself, found you guys a few weeks ago and have been pouring through your posts, guides, and tutorials, and I couldn't be more pleased. For a long time now I've been wanting to build a suit of chaos marine armor, but have never been able to find adequate info on how to go about this. Now I think I'm ready take this project on thanks to all the info I've found here. So I've started drawing up some rough sketches of what I'm thinking to do.

Static pose, probly gonna change the left leg to have a seperate knee guard.

Action pose with weapon load out and lil bit of the backpack

Some horns I'm thinking of using for the helm, not really the shape I want them in, but maybe I can cut them up and reposition them.

Would like to stretch this over one of the shoulders, but not sure if it will work.

I've been trying to decide wether to go resin/glass/bondo route or foam, both have things I like about them. I think im going to use a mix of both, resin the head, chest, and shoulders and make the arms, legs, belt, and backpack from foam. Just seems like foaming those parts will be simpler and give me a lil bit more flexibility for movement. But I've never done anything like this so please any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Planning on getting some card stock this weekend and gettin started. Will post pics once I get something built lol.

Offline Rraijjar

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Well for rough sketches they are pretty detailed  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ohmy.gif' />  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' /> love them!

But to decide what materials you are going to use is hard. I just work with a lot of resin/bondo/fiberglass and clay. But Kol Badar uses just fiberglass/resin and foam,

Just take a look at this thread

Kol Badar's his build <-- click it ^^

Offline LordNaes

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
@Rraijjar Wow thanks for the link, I'd seen Kol's night lord thread but had no idea it started out in card stock. Lots of great info in that thread, love the foam skinning and drywall tape ideas.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:01:00 AM »
Great concept art Naes!  Whichever materials you choose, I would suggest to start simple.  Get the basic shapes and models build then add the detail.  I think it would be very tough to get all that detail right off the bat.  Similar to Kol's build, make a really basic suit that has the right size and that you can move in, then add all the gory details.

Best of luck, heretic scum!

PS - I like the idea for stretching that mask over the shoulder.  I think you are onto something.

Offline Static

• Marine
  • :
    • http://www.little-noise.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
Great sketches! Can't wait to see some progress [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> Adding my voice to the "start simple" chorus, definitely get the base shapes sorted first. I love that mask, it's going to look amazing incorporated into the build!

Offline LordNaes

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
Update for the Update God!!! Got my helmet peped up this weekend, pretty happy for my first pep. That said, I had some issues on the top that caused a slight misalignment of the forward point of the helm and the bridge of the vox grill. Going to try to not let it bug me, but its gonna be tuff.

Here's the finished product, fold at the top is the result of the issues I mentioned.

Here you can see the misalignment, grrr...

Closer shot of the top and all the fudged areas.

Me with helmet on, fits pretty well. Had to cut the inner ring a bit so I could get it on with my glasses on.

Anointed in blood, for Khornes blessing! Seriously though, put some blood and sweat into this thing.

Well there we have it, kinda on the fence bout this baby with those mistakes. I might redo it. Think I might give shineys unfold a shot if I do, liking the look of all the large cuts. Hmmm just trying to think were things went wrong, probly just too many slightly out of place connections. Well unless I decide to redo the helm then I'll most likely start on the chest next weekend. Would really appreciate any advice on this pepakura stuff, not super hard, but I feel like maybe there was a order i should've assembled in maybe iunno.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Pep does take a while to master.  I would say continue with your build, starting on more mundane pieces.  save the complicated ones for last, a your technique will keep improving as you go.  I know it is tempting to build the really cool pieces first; but you can save time and frustration by starting simple.

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
This seems to be the "Echo Clothar" thread. Seconded regarding simple peices first. The helmet is not something I would consider a simple piece, either. I did it last, and did it well, but only because I learned a lot about placement of edges on tabs as I went along (I only screwed it up later). This is something I didn't appreciate when I first started: doing as well as you can on the pepping saves you a lot of trouble later on. take for example the chest piece I did. I think that I did that first or second. THe problem I had was it was a large piece so when all the little itty-bitty misplacements added up over the entire peice, the collar was somwhat malformed. Then I compounded the error by going Pfft! I can correct that at a later stage with body-filler. It turned out to be a lot more trouble to do that (weeks of drying, sanding and layering) than just taking a heat gun and making a few small changes early. Hindsight, it seems to me, is 20/20.

If I might suggest, I found the arms to be relatively simple. The legs are too, although they are larger and hence I found that they are subject to the Law of Compounded Flaws mentioned earlier. Someone who is naturally talented at these sorts of things and has an affinity for spacial relationships might not have found it as difficult, but I did and starting simple seems like good advice, now. Don't be afraid to tweek or even redo a piece if you are not satisfied! You have a good eye for seeing the flaw in the crest respirator port. Unless you wanna write that off as the vagaries of the Warp, I would correct it. That's my $0.02. /rant
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline LordNaes

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it. I definitely see that not correcting the issue early can lead to massive headaches later on. I'm convinced I can salvage this piece with some scrap card stock and some scotch tape, hopefully I'm right. Lol I like seeing that oh so classic modeling excuse for chaos, I've used it a few times on my minis, I'm still a fan of "ordered chaos" though ;P. I guess I will print some arms out next then and give them a go. I was thinking about trying hot glue over super glue, which do you guys prefer?

Offline Vrogy

• W E I R D
  • Marine
  • :
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:20:00 AM »
Between the awesome art and the concrete progress, I see this build going far! Keep us updated!

also, 'damon', heh.

Offline Lamia

• Fanatical pyromaniac power-armoured battle nun
  • Obscurus Convention Staff
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Try these horns - they are shaped more like what you have sketched out, and you can thicken or trim them more easily than you can re-shape the ones you bought.

http://www.partycity.com/product/hellion+h...rch&navSet=horn

Offline Gunhead

• Battle Brother
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
I like using a hot glue gun simply because if I screw it up I can take a heat gun (or a hair dryer for the most part) and unglue it and do it over...  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
Exodus 22:18 - strigam ne patiaris vivere

Exterminatus means not having to say you're sorry.

Offline Captain Arcturus - 2nd Company

• Captain Arcturus, Second Company Ultramarine
  • Company Champion
  • :
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Great start to your build there Filthy Heretic!
J/K
I love the sketches, they are amazing! Artwork rivaling even that of some of what Imperial Gothic has done.  
You started with the helm, thats great, I always say that is the best thing to start with for a build since it guides the rest of the suit and its a motivator (I imagine its like an entity of its own just looking at me chanting, "WORK MORE! FINISH ME! GET BACK TO WORK!!" lol

And for future reference or an idea to use, its what I do, to avoid problems on helmets like what you have encountered.  Start with the top part of the helm and work up/out.  That way your not working to a point and have to struggle with making it line up right and your working to an opening like the rim of the helm.  I find it easier anyway.

Great start! looking forward to more progress [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/14623/129/emo/0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' />  [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/14623/129/emo/0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='0f352eae45b08d26760469319a4704f6.gif' />

Offline LordNaes

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Update time, managed to get a bit of work done this weekend.

Templates

Realized I made a mistake with the thigh template so had to fix it.

Still need to beef up some of the edges and make a knee guard for the leg.

Got one vambrace cut out last night.

Just wanna say thanks to Hasenbrau for posting his foam templates, they've saved me so much time. Still need to bulk up the inside on some of these pieces but overall pretty pleased with the results. Can't wait to get back to it and knock the other arm out and the boots. Not sure bout the chest atm, might try it in foam.

@Lamia thanks so much they look great and got them ordered.

And as always thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys!!

Offline Hasenbrau

• Scout
  • :
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Cool stuff LordNaes. Love to see your concept art going into the build too. I'm looking forward to your progress.

If you have any questions about the templates, or need help modifying them at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Mutants, Xenos, and Heretics  |  My first Chaos Marine build WIP

gfxgfx
gfx gfx